Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jhonny Peralta Injured

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Aybar isn't that good so the Braves would be wise to trade him as soon as they get a good enough offer. If the Cardinals want him I'd move him in a heartbeat for a decent offer. Peterson can probably play short just as well as Aybar anyway. So just move him to his natural position again if Aybar is traded. Aybar has had a -3 DRS the last two years at short and -7 DRS three years back and declining range numbers over the same period too. I don't see why he'd be hard to place defensively at short and it's not like he's coming off a good season on offense either (.639 OPS). He is basically Simmons without the amazing defense, and pretty average at short overall.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

emk418 (03-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'd swap Aybar for a decent return in a heartbeat. We're not competing this year and could give the position to Castro to keep warm until Swanson or Albies is ready. Aybar is a luxury and we should be very open to dealing him. Still, I don't give up much if I'm the Cards.
    Castro would certainly be the best defensive option, he is a good defender at short. Now that Simmons is gone he is easily our best option there defensively. So if he hits well enough I'd be fine with that. But I'd also think Peterson can handle short just as well as anyone else we have on the roster. So they'd be my top two options there if Aybar were traded. Beckham can also play some short, just not as well IMO and Boni of course but he's better at second and OF IMO.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Gyorko has played all of 26 games as a SS with a -2.6 UZR.

FWIW, David Cameron just tweeted...

"External options that I can see - 1. Erick Aybar, 2. See Option 1."
    David Cameron? Shouldn't he be more worried about the upcoming vote on Britain leaving the EU? Didn't realize he followed major league baseball.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-09-2016), Prikichi (03-08-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Aybar for Harrison Bader?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The Cardinals did almost trade for Aybar in the past, so I could see them having interest again if they think his last season was just a down year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    Aybar for Harrison Bader?
    Not a terrible trade for either team though I would consider it a win for Atlanta. Bader isn't one of their top 10 prospects. He's more in the 12-15 range. Still, he's a fairly polished outfielder than can play any of the three positions. He'd be a great addition for us in a position of need (right handed outfielder).

Austin Gomber is another name I like. He's a big (6 foot 5) lefty our of Florida Atlantic who is pretty polished. His raw stuff isn't tremendous so his ceiling is limited but he's put up impressive minor league numbers and is a pretty good bet to reach the majors. He's probably slated to start the year in AA so he's not that far away.

Personally, I don't expect the Cards to pursue Aybar. I think they'll wait for a team to DFA someone at the end of ST then work out a deal for that player. Much cheaper than trading for an established commodity like Aybar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Not a terrible trade for either team though I would consider it a win for Atlanta. Bader isn't one of their top 10 prospects. He's more in the 12-15 range. Still, he's a fairly polished outfielder than can play any of the three positions. He'd be a great addition for us in a position of need (right handed outfielder).

Austin Gomber is another name I like. He's a big (6 foot 5) lefty our of Florida Atlantic who is pretty polished. His raw stuff isn't tremendous so his ceiling is limited but he's put up impressive minor league numbers and is a pretty good bet to reach the majors. He's probably slated to start the year in AA so he's not that far away.

Personally, I don't expect the Cards to pursue Aybar. I think they'll wait for a team to DFA someone at the end of ST then work out a deal for that player. Much cheaper than trading for an established commodity like Aybar.
    I agree on the last statement. I'd be surprised if there was interest.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts

LOL, those are the two guys I sort of wanted from their list of prospects. Or the ones that I think we could reasonable get for Aybar. I am not sure what other needs the Cards have (starting pitching?)..

We could also offer to pay 75- 80% of Aybars salary and ask for both. that way when Jhonny is ready, Aybar is not an expensive bench piece.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I knew Hart was ahead of the game when he signed Reid Brignac.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If the Braves trade Aybar, would that not send a message that they are not trying to compete this year? Coppy has said he wants to put the best team he can out there this year and that they are not 'tanking'.. Just saying.. But then I don't think you trade Heyward/Kimbrel/Simba and still worry about what the public thinks..
    Like keeping Aybar on the roster is going to make them a contender??

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Like keeping Aybar on the roster is going to make them a contender??
    I never said that...

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Olney and Stark speculating Aybar being a great fit on the BBTN podcast.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I would push for Aybar (with Braves paying salary) to Cards for 3B Bryce Denton and the #33 and #34 picks in the upcoming draft (Comp picks for Heyward and Lackey).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I would push for Aybar (with Braves paying salary) to Cards for 3B Bryce Denton and the #33 and #34 picks in the upcoming draft (Comp picks for Heyward and Lackey).
    Only competitive balance picks (which are not the same as compensation picks) can be traded.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    So far I've not read anyone with any source saying the Cards are looking into Aybar or that the Braves are shopping him. Only speculation that he'd be a good fit. On the other hand, I've not heard anyone shut down the speculation. GMs aren't dumb and usually will put an end to baseless speculation this wide spread.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    So far I've not read anyone with any source saying the Cards are looking into Aybar or that the Braves are shopping him. Only speculation that he'd be a good fit. On the other hand, I've not heard anyone shut down the speculation. GMs aren't dumb and usually will put an end to baseless speculation this wide spread.
    Just something you don't comment on either way if you're Mozeliak IMO. No need to say "yeah, you're right - he would probably fit IF we decide to go outside the organization". On one hand, you're just stating the obvious - which has already been stated. On the other hand, you cost yourself leverage in any discussions with Coppy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I think the main impediment to this sort of deal is that Peralta will only miss 1-2 months of the regular season. That limits the chances that the Cards will value Aybar highly enough to make a great offer.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I would trade Aybar and pay his salary for any long term asset we like. Jace could play SS for a while. Aybar is replacement level.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Aybar is replacement level.
    He has averaged 2 WAR per year in the past 3 seasons. He is projected at about 1.5 WAR this year. Trade value would be based on how much salary we pick up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just something you don't comment on either way if you're Mozeliak IMO. No need to say "yeah, you're right - he would probably fit IF we decide to go outside the organization". On one hand, you're just stating the obvious - which has already been stated. On the other hand, you cost yourself leverage in any discussions with Coppy.
    My thinking is that usually in these situations, if there's no truth to the rumors or speculation at all, you often see the GM of the team of the player being targeted denying the rumors. If we had no intention of trading Aybar now you'd think Coppy would come out and say that there have been no talks with the Cards. At the very least it would be leaked that there have been no talks. You don't want a player distracted by this kind of stuff when there's absolutely no reason.

I'm guessing that right now the Cards are doing their homework, calling around, talking to different teams, and gauging where things are at. No one is shooting down Aybar rumors because there probably has been a little contact. Conversely, there's not been enough contact to get a rumor going.