That's the Coppy kiss of death.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    That's the Coppy kiss of death.
    That is Coppy telling whoever offered something for Aybar to come stronger. basically we want to hold on to him and he is a winning player. So it needs a little bit more before we say yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I have little doubt they'd trade Aybar within the hour for the right offer. I'm just not expecting the Cardinals to bend over backwards to get him for a 2-3 month backfill.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I have little doubt they'd trade Aybar within the hour for the right offer. I'm just not expecting the Cardinals to bend over backwards to get him for a 2-3 month backfill.
    if they could get him cheap.. (basically braves eating a big portion of salary and not a top ten prospect) then I think they would. He would add depth that is better to their club if Jhonny comes back healthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    if they could get him cheap.. (basically braves eating a big portion of salary and not a top ten prospect) then I think they would. He would add depth that is better to their club if Jhonny comes back healthy.
    Yeah. We have no reason to trade Aybar cheap. We have the luxury of waiting until the trade deadline. So paying salary to take a middling prospect is a no go for us.

The Cards also shouldn't be that desperate. It's 1 to 2 months. They should be able to cobble together something with either what they have or with players they can get on the cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Yeah. We have no reason to trade Aybar cheap. We have the luxury of waiting until the trade deadline. So paying salary to take a middling prospect is a no go for us.

The Cards also shouldn't be that desperate. It's 1 to 2 months. They should be able to cobble together something with either what they have or with players they can get on the cheap.
    A contender will need a SS at some point.
    We will be perfectly content waiting for that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

it will be 2 months at the minimum.. But I doubt they give the farm for this one problem. if they don't panic with Wainwright goes down, then they are not going to with Jhonny.
    And if the Braves pay most of Aybar's salary, then the prospect needs to be Bader + IMO.. otherwise you can wait. however, I don't see to much interest at the deadline for a half year rental SS...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I wonder if the Mets will keep both Tejada and Flores now that they have Cabrera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    it will be 2 months at the minimum.. But I doubt they give the farm for this one problem. if they don't panic with Wainwright goes down, then they are not going to with Jhonny.
    And if the Braves pay most of Aybar's salary, then the prospect needs to be Bader + IMO.. otherwise you can wait. however, I don't see to much interest at the deadline for a half year rental SS...
    That two months would include March, IIRC. So he'll miss all of April at a minimum. Taking rehab outings into account, it'll probably be closer to two months than one. Still, you'd have Aybar as an expensive bench piece the majority of the season.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Coppy should 100% trade Aybar if we can get a long term piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I understand what Coppy said about Aybar is nonsense, just as it was when he said Aybar was a big part of the Simmons trade originally. Aybar makes 8.5 million and has had declining range numbers along with having a negative DRS for the last three years (-7, -3, and -3 again over that span). Now that isn't terrible, it's just no better than average and combined with his contract and coming off a bad season on offense I cannot see him bringing much value back in a trade. However, it is possible that he might be rated higher than overall market value by a team like the Cardinals for a few reasons. The most obvious being their current need due to injury and also because they might just like Aybar as a player. They reportedly tried trading for him a time or two in the past and at least once almost got him in a deal. So unless they feel he is in decline or that the asking price is too much, I could still see a match here. Then again, they also could likely get someone at the end of Spring Training rather cheaply that would suffice for a few months. Personally, I'd do that if I were them but from a Braves perspective I'd want them to overpay for Aybar.

That said, I could see us getting more back in a trade if we payed part of what he is owed this year.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I doubt we trade him. Coppy is also trying to appeal to the casual fans, who frankly make up a large part of revenue for the team. I think he got Markakis to have a "name" to replace Heyward, and I believe he wanted Aybar for the same reason after Simba was gone. Now once Swanson is ready to take over and is pitched as the future, then Aybar will be gone. Also once there is a "RF of the future", then Markakis will be gone as well.