Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 9189

Thread: Meme & Quote Thread

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That would preclude my 98-year-old mother from voting. She no longer has a valid drivers' license.
    I know one of the people that had to do a recount. Voter fraud was rampant and actually Trump has a bigger lead than what was reported but the media wanted to downplay that. This is what Jill Stein did not hope for? So the recount turned out to be a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    "rigging"? I hadn't heard of that. I heard about someone leaking a bunch of emails that showed how corrupt and dirty the Clinton campaign was, but not of rigging the election. Who did this dastardly deed? Did they hack into voting machines? I can't wait until the proof of this hits, it will be a bombshell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Who said it had to be a driver's license?
    As a matter of fact, haven't all states that require voter ID made a non-driver's license ID available for free? I know Georgia did.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    The Russia stuff is truly hilarious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Now the Clinton campaign is statting that all members of the electoral college should get to read intelligence briefings regarding the hacking.

Like you said - they've never addressed the authenticity of the data dump. Just the same Russia is bad response.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    As a matter of fact, haven't all states that require voter ID made a non-driver's license ID available for free? I know Georgia did.
    The idea that showing government ID to vote as an unreasonable ask is mystifying to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-12-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    Now the Clinton campaign is statting that all members of the electoral college should get to read intelligence briefings regarding the hacking.

Like you said - they've never addressed the authenticity of the data dump. Just the same Russia is bad response.
    What kills me is that they're acknoledging that they lost because of the info that was "hacked"

They never say the info was wrong!

It'd be like if I caught my SO on Ashley Madison from the data dump... The info was obtained illegally - but that doesn't change the fact that she was cheating on me

By the way - I'm putting about 1% stock into this russian story... The CIA and media has never been honest before... hwy the **** would I believe them on this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    What kills me is that they're acknoledging that they lost because of the info that was "hacked"

They never say the info was wrong!

It'd be like if I caught my SO on Ashley Madison from the data dump... The info was obtained illegally - but that doesn't change the fact that she was cheating on me

By the way - I'm putting about 1% stock into this russian story... The CIA and media has never been honest before... hwy the **** would I believe them on this?
    Yep. No one has ever denied any of it, they are just mad that it came to light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts

you wanna talk ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    The idea that showing government ID to vote as an unreasonable ask is mystifying to me.
    Are you serious? There are a lot of barriers to the underprivileged obtaining government identification, which only exacerbates the barriers many states place on folks who find it difficult to make it to polling-places during business-hours on a Tuesday in November. We should be making voting easier, not harder.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (12-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Just more of the utter refusal to self-analyze or self-criticize that has characterized the (D) party recently. I may have not wanted Trump to win, but there are legitimate reasons he did; third-parties and Russians and BernieBros being "petulant" are not those reasons.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (12-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Are you serious? There are a lot of barriers to the underprivileged obtaining government identification, which only exacerbates the barriers many states place on folks who find it difficult to make it to polling-places during business-hours on a Tuesday in November. We should be making voting easier, not harder.
    We should be making sure that only people who should be voting are voting. There is no way that someone can't take one day out of their lives to get a government issued id. This is such a strange argument for me.

You have a job? Take one of the days that basically every employer gives you.

You have children? Take them to the dmv with you.

What roadblocks could possibly exist that someone would find it impossible to get ID?
    Natural Immunity Croc

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    We should be making sure that only people who should be voting are voting. There is no way that someone can't take one day out of their lives to get a government issued id. This is such a strange argument for me.

You have a job? Take one of the days that basically every employer gives you.

You have children? Take them to the dmv with you.

What roadblocks could possibly exist that someone would find it impossible to get ID?
    Voter fraud in this country is already exceedingly rare; plenty of studies demonstrate this.

Meanwhile, there are countless ways "that someone can't take one day out of their lives" to obtain government-issued identification, to vote, or to do a whole host of other things that may seem a more exigent use of scant days off than voting or obtaining ID—especially since a great many jobs do not guarantee days off for exigent circumstances. The fact that you think there's "no way that someone can't take one day out of their lives" to do something like obtain identification, or vote—two things that sadly register as luxuries for many in this country—demonstrates that you're very out of touch in this regard.

But, guess what: your out-of-touchness doesn't really matter here, because—again—voter fraud in the US, of the sort that Voter ID laws purport to redress, is essentially negligible. For the same reason, I think liberals' calls for recounts, and their spilled-milk tears in the Midwest, carry no water, either.
    Last edited by jpx7; 12-12-2016 at 04:20 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Just more of the utter refusal to self-analyze or self-criticize that has characterized the (D) party recently. I may have not wanted Trump to win, but there are legitimate reasons he did; third-parties and Russians and BernieBros being "petulant" are not those reasons.
    There are so many strange things happened in this election. Going both ways
    One of the stranger is Cobb County Ga going for Clinton.

I have yet to hear an explanation of how the congressional district of Tom Price votes Clinton
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi...ional_district

There are legitimate reasons to look into this election.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    There are legitimate reasons to look into this election.
    Indeed: the Democratic Party has a lot of soul-searching to do, as do the well-meaning-but-misguided progressives who've been enabling them the past couple decades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Meanwhile, there are countless ways "that someone can't take one day out of their lives" to obtain government-issued identification, to vote, or to do a whole host of other things that may seem a more exigent use of scant days off than voting or obtaining ID—especially since a great many jobs do not guarantee days off for exigent circumstances. The fact that you think there's "no way that someone can't take one day out of their lives" to do something like obtain identification, or vote—two things that sadly register as luxuries for many in this country—demonstrates that you're very out of touch in this regard.
    With all due respect JPX - You say 'Countless' and yet you continue to speak in generalities. I can't make the claim I'm a very descriptive person of course but if you are going to use this language then please just provide one example of how a person can't take one day a year to get an ID. It's not as if this process would take the whole day either so they can take a day to take care of other important matters while including a trip to the DMV on their 'things to do' list.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,422 Posts
    Wasn't it Will Rogers who quipped " I belong to no organized political party. I am a Democrat "

?
    //////////////////////////////

Not sure what it is they have to do. They won the national vote by roughly 3M. That is more votes than the population of 14 states. They won nationally the Congressional vote (forget that number) but the Republican Party wisely took advantage of
    a) the low turnout in the 2010 mid terms
    b) the backlash in flyover America to an AA President
    c) the vulnerability of the Religious Right

You move any of those three factors and we are looking at a totally different picture.

People stayed home in 2010 because Obama wasn't handed a magic wand and those same people did not understand, like Trump supporters are about to find out, you don't turn the ship of state in 2 years. The 2010 election led to a Republican house and brilliantly conceived gerrymandered voting districts

Race --- Ronald Reagan formally announced his intention to run speech in Philadelphia Mississippi on the anniversary of the church bombing
    **** like that ain't coincidental. Reagan tied welfare queens in Cadillac's to (D). LBJ prophetically claimed (R) would hold governance for a generation after Civil Rights Act
    etc etc etc

We as recently as a week ago were told how lack of kissing the ring of the religious right led to HRC defeat.
    All the politics and pandering to the Religious Right does is it holds out hope while the pols themselves chuckle behind Bob Jones U backs. But the coded language works.
    Cakes and pies, prayer in schools, abortion. Push those buttons instead of honestly trying to discuss the issues gets them
    a thrice divorced serial sexual predator with a litany on law suits and bad faith dealings.
    But he defended a fetus

Back to what Will Rogers said.
    There are a lot of conflicting constituencies in the Democratic Party.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-12-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    With all due respect JPX - You say 'Countless' and yet you continue to speak in generalities. I can't make the claim I'm a very descriptive person of course but if you are going to use this language then please just provide one example of how a person can't take one day a year to get an ID. It's not as if this process would take the whole day either so they can take a day to take care of other important matters while including a trip to the DMV on their 'things to do' list.
    Alright. Say you work for $10 an hour—not actually the lowest possible wage, in this country—which equates to about $1600 a month, given a full-time, forty-hour-per-week job; then let's say (generously, since we don't know which state this hypothetical occurs in, et cetera) that, after taxes, that leaves about $1440 monthly. Folks tend to be forced to spend about 50% of their income on room&board, rent&utilities—whatever you want to call it—which leaves about $720 leftover for the remainder of the month. Say you're a single father or mother, which a couple children—things start to get pretty tight, even if you're working every available hour of your allotted forty. Most employment at that level—which covers a vast swatch of citizens of this country—doesn't come with any paid leave, or even the guarantee of leave when you want/need it. Even a half day off—$40, pre-tax—represents about a 2.5% loss of monthly earnings, or 5% reduction on what's left over after rent&utilities; a full day off represents twice that. Then say circumstances are less than perfect: last pay-period, you had to take two days off for yours or your children's illness—losing 20% of non-rent income—plus another half-day (generously) to obtain/renew government identification (another 5%). Now you're short from the previous pay-period, and wondering if you can afford to request another half-day off (again: generously, considering some of the lines for voting—particularly in states that restrict or do not have early/mail-in voting) just for the luxury of voting.

And all that's assuming your employer either can/will give you those partial or full shifts off. In many cases—especially service- and retail-type employment—that's a non-option.

I'm quite lucky, by many standards; you are too, I can assume, by virtue of your position on this issue. It's hard to appreciate what a luxury mere time can be, especially to take care of things that might legitimately be both "important matters" and luxuries in the face of even-more-important matters.
    Last edited by jpx7; 12-12-2016 at 04:53 PM.