Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 9172

Thread: Meme & Quote Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Agreed. He won't be the sole reason but a business friendly environment is what we need right now. Taxing people out of poverty doesn't work. Never has.
    But outsourcing them into poverty certain has, or at least certainly has helped in the process.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Could it not be in the national interest, if not the interest of national security, to know if the president owes nine-figure debts to Russian and Chinese banks, as has been reported?
    But he's not personally liable for a cent of that money.

Obviously, you see the distinction, but it seems clear now that Trump's advisers viewed it less damaging to not release his tax returns than to release them and be forced to launch a slew of counter-attacks to answer for a decade of deals with controversial groups/figures/banks. The obvious risk, which you've exemplified inadvertently in your post, is the conflation of investments of the Trump business empire with Donald's own personal finances. This is probably further complicated by Trump borrowing money from his company at times. Money that could be Russian, Chinese, or Middle Eastern (or perhaps worse ... of the Madoffian/Epsteinien variety). Given the bankruptcies and failed ventures it's probably an absolute mess.

I think though, for whatever reason, many Americans who support Trump simply don't care about his finances. For the same reason they didn't seem to care when it was revealed he hadn't paid income tax in years. Because who here hasn't tried to take an additional iffy write-off? Who here wouldn't have taken a loan for their business from a Chinese bank when they were virtually the only system in the world with substantial capital to lend? There's a sentiment inborn in the American psyche where certain missteps in the pursuit of money are either forgiven or, at least, understood. We draw a line at overt greed it seems - but, for some reason, despite the gilded planes and toilets, Trump doesn't widely seem to be perceived as a greedy individual. Maybe it's because he played the Pied Piper routine for decades with his books and seminars or because of the picture he painted of his family-run enterprise during the campaign. I don't know. Maybe we all see a part of him in ourselves - the desire for fame, greater wealth, power.

In the end I do believe most of the noise being made about Trump's business investments and potential conflicts of interest as it relates to a supposedly mutual national interest is insanely histrionic. It absolutely hurts not to have that information completely public in the traditional sense, but our media doesn't appear to be interested in acting as a truly impartial watchdog anymore, so I'm inclined to again lend my trust to Trump.

Maybe I'll come to regret it, but there's a certain reward in rooting for the underdog.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-18-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    But outsourcing them into poverty certain has, or at least certainly has helped in the process.
    Yup...and outsourcing was encouraged by the globalist agenda pushed by Obama and the left.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Yup...and outsourcing was encouraged by the globalist agenda pushed by Obama and the left.
    No doubt, and started or at least the latest phase was, by Bill Clinton. I somehow get the feeling that we're headed towards a "why should Repubs try to do the right things, after all Dems are just as guilty" discussion. Please tell me that isn't the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    No doubt, and started or at least the latest phase was, by Bill Clinton. I somehow get the feeling that we're headed towards a "why should Repubs try to do the right things, after all Dems are just as guilty" discussion. Please tell me that isn't the case.
    I hope it isn't. The American middle class has been shafted for decades and it needs to stop.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I hope it isn't. The American middle class has been shafted for decades and it needs to stop.
    On that we are in total agreement.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Obviously, you see the distinction, but it seems clear now that Trump's advisers viewed it less damaging to not release his tax returns than to release them and be forced to launch a slew of counter-attacks to answer for a decade of deals with controversial groups/figures/banks. The obvious risk, which you've exemplified inadvertently in your post, is the conflation of investments of the Trump business empire with Donald's own personal finances. This is probably further complicated by Trump borrowing money from his company at times. Money that could be Russian, Chinese, or Middle Eastern (or perhaps worse ... of the Madoffian/Epsteinien variety). Given the bankruptcies and failed ventures it's probably an absolute mess.

I think though, for whatever reason, many Americans who support Trump simply don't care about his finances. For the same reason they didn't seem to care when it was revealed he hadn't paid income tax in years. Because who here hasn't tried to take an additional iffy write-off? Who here wouldn't have taken a loan for their business from a Chinese bank when they were virtually the only system in the world with substantial capital to lend? There's a sentiment inborn in the American psyche where certain missteps in the pursuit of money are either forgiven or, at least, understood. We draw a line at overt greed it seems - but, for some reason, despite the gilded planes and toilets, Trump doesn't widely seem to be perceived as a greedy individual. Maybe it's because he played the Pied Piper routine for decades with his books and seminars or because of the picture he painted of his family-run enterprise during the campaign. I don't know. Maybe we all see a part of him in ourselves - the desire for fame, greater wealth, power.

In the end I do believe most of the noise being made about Trump's business investments and potential conflicts of interest as it relates to a supposedly mutual national interest is insanely histrionic. It absolutely hurts not to have that information completely public in the traditional sense, but our media doesn't appear to be interested in acting as a truly impartial watchdog anymore, so I'm inclined to again lend my trust to Trump.

Maybe I'll come to regret it, but there's a certain reward in rooting for the underdog.
    If the billionaire silver-spooner backstopped by his own friendly media infrastructure and supported by the plutocracy is an underdog, sure.

Those financial concerns may be overstated, but "insanely histrionic" seems a bit of a stretch. It's vanilla due diligence and would/should be expected of anyone in a position of power. That he's resisted it is distinctly troubling.

I'm not qualified to say if Trump is greedy, but the way he ran his "foundation"—big promises with no followthrough, using other people's money, ticky-tacky misuse of funds—is pretty disheartening.

I see the "conflation" of his personal vs. corporate finances to be not a conflation but a distinction without a difference. A legal difference, yes, but why is it so salient if the entity in hock to Oligarchs, Inc. is Donald J. Trump or the Trump Organization?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-18-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Because who here hasn't tried to take an additional iffy write-off?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (01-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I see the "conflation" of his personal vs. corporate finances to be not a conflation but a distinction without a difference. A legal difference, yes, but why is it so salient if the entity in hock to Oligarchs, Inc. is Donald J. Trump or the Trump Organization?
    This.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    we're in the midst of a "constitutional crisis".
    Trump argues Presidents are immune to law.
    This will be interesting to watch

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-wreck/513446/

By “emolument,” this provision means any benefit derived from dealing with a foreign government. It is well-settled that receipt of such emoluments is strictly prohibited for persons holding positions of trust with the U.S. government. A U.S. official need not also have an “office” with a foreign government in order to receive an emolument from it.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    like no meme or anything

but the picture he tweeted as trying to work on his inauguration speech is the most pathetic thing i have ever seen

honestly, it really is
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

hand to God, never taken a write off

paid my taxes and moved on

never claimed a tax credit or anything
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-20-2017), Oklahomahawk (01-19-2017), Runnin (01-19-2017), sturg33 (01-19-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    yeah.. I had never heard of this probably fake "Wharton School of Business" Trump graduated from before. It's probably some fly by night community college.

And look at all the accomplishments of Obama prior to election... Community organizer, editor of a law review and he's capable of talking to two different worlds; white democrats and black democrats.

And what has Trump done? Built a multi-billion dollar international business empire? Any white person can do that. It's not even worth mentioning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    yeah.. I had never heard of this probably fake "Wharton School of Business" Trump graduated from before. It's probably some fly by night community college.

And look at all the accomplishments of Obama prior to election... Community organizer, editor of a law review and he's capable of talking to two different worlds; white democrats and black democrats.

And what has Trump done? Built a multi-billion dollar international business empire? Any white person can do that. It's not even worth mentioning.
    It's such an absurd statement and it simply ignores the reality that being black dramatically helped Obama get elected.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    It's such an absurd statement and it simply ignores the reality that being black dramatically helped Obama get elected.
    Especially since Bill Clinton said obama won because he played the race card