Thread: Some observations from the back fields

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,495 Posts

Some observations from the back fields

Went to the game at Disney today and got to watch about an hour of scrimmages on the backfields. Their real games start at 1, so I missed those. I'm assuming that's when the good pitchers throw.

I mostly watched the lower level teams play bc I've seen Swanson, Albies etc before.

First of all, Austin Riley is massive. I saw a broken bat single and a K for him but he clearly stands out physically. Justin Ellison tripled and played well from what I saw.

One field had Herbert and morales catching the teams. The defensive reports on Herbert are spot on. He moves so well behind the plate and made a few really nice stops on balls in the dirt. I'm a big fan of him, and he hit a few balls hard, too.

I was expecting Acuna to be a little taller than he is, but he swung the bat well. Smoked a line drive at the right fielder. His athleticism is really easy to see though.

I saw Fried, Newcomb, Sims, Touki and more pitchers all walking around during this part of it. The only legit prospect who threw during that part was Zach Bird. The ball comes out of his hand so easily. Really impressed with him. He gave up the triple to Ellison to start an inning, and then he went K, F7, K to end the inning. He didn't struggle a ton with his command like I was expecting.

It did seem like only relievers were throwing in the portions I saw, and I thought that was interesting in regards to Bird. I totally could be wrong about that though.

I know it's not much, just wanted to pass it along. Fun day, even if it was only for an hour. I'd recommend anyone going to Disney should head to the backfields if possible.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-26-2016), clvclv (03-26-2016), dak (03-26-2016), JohnAdcox (03-26-2016), jpx7 (03-26-2016), Julio3000 (03-25-2016), nsacpi (03-25-2016), praeceps93 (03-25-2016), rico43 (03-25-2016), Runnin (03-25-2016), zedsdead (03-26-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Went to the game at Disney today and got to watch about an hour of scrimmages on the backfields. Their real games start at 1, so I missed those. I'm assuming that's when the good pitchers throw.

I mostly watched the lower level teams play bc I've seen Swanson, Albies etc before.

First of all, Austin Riley is massive. I saw a broken bat single and a K for him but he clearly stands out physically. Justin Ellison tripled and played well from what I saw.

One field had Herbert and morales catching the teams. The defensive reports on Herbert are spot on. He moves so well behind the plate and made a few really nice stops on balls in the dirt. I'm a big fan of him, and he hit a few balls hard, too.

I was expecting Acuna to be a little taller than he is, but he swung the bat well. Smoked a line drive at the right fielder. His athleticism is really easy to see though.

I saw Fried, Newcomb, Sims, Touki and more pitchers all walking around during this part of it. The only legit prospect who threw during that part was Zach Bird. The ball comes out of his hand so easily. Really impressed with him. He gave up the triple to Ellison to start an inning, and then he went K, F7, K to end the inning. He didn't struggle a ton with his command like I was expecting.

It did seem like only relievers were throwing in the portions I saw, and I thought that was interesting in regards to Bird. I totally could be wrong about that though.

I know it's not much, just wanted to pass it along. Fun day, even if it was only for an hour. I'd recommend anyone going to Disney should head to the backfields if possible.
    Thanks for the writeup. I'm going down this week and want to see as much as I can in the time that I've got. What time did you go to the complex?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,495 Posts
    I got there at 11, and two of the fields were already in the 4th inning of their games. Not sure when they started or anything, sorry.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I got there at 11, and two of the fields were already in the 4th inning of their games. Not sure when they started or anything, sorry.
    That's great, thanks.