Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swisher Released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Agreed. Burawa stinks.
    I suppose we can console ourselves with the idea that the team isn't contending this year, so getting the little details right don't matter. Still I find it annoying we gave up a couple guys who have some potential as bench players. Switch hitters are especially useful on the bench because they negate the pronounced platoon advantage that you see with the use ROOGYs and LOOGYs in late innings. And we gave them up so we could have room on the 40 man for the likes of Swisher, Bourn, Burawa and Bonifacio among others.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I suppose we can console ourselves with the idea that the team isn't contending this year, so getting the little details right don't matter. Still I find it annoying we gave up a couple guys who have some potential as bench players. Switch hitters are especially useful on the bench because they negate the pronounced platoon advantage that you see with the use ROOGYs and LOOGYs in late innings. And we gave them up so we could have room on the 40 man for the likes of Swisher, Bourn, Burawa and Bonifacio among others.
    Yea, I was also annoyed that we passed on and as it turns out, wasted our high rule 5 pick, when there were some solid outfielder CF/OF prospects available worth picking IMO. But instead we get Boni again to go along with Bourn? OK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Understood moving on from Terdo and Cunningham. Just didn't understand why we didn't go after better bench options than them and what we have now. Particularly when it comes to a 4th OF that can play CF. There were a lot of available options. Hell, there will probably still be a guy released in the next couple days that is a better option than Francoeur / Boni.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Understood moving on from Terdo and Cunningham. Just didn't understand why we didn't go after better bench options than them and what we have now. Particularly when it comes to a 4th OF that can play CF. There were a lot of available options. Hell, there will probably still be a guy released in the next couple days that is a better option than Francoeur / Boni.
    Bonifacio, Bourn, Francoeur. 2016.

Egads.

Wanna bet all three are out of baseball next year?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Completely agree, made no sense to keep any of those guys over Terd and Todd.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Completely agree, made no sense to keep any of those guys over Terd and Todd.
    I think we kept Bourn and Swisher so we could try to rehab them. Swisher was apparent that he was a loss cause. It is little decisions like this that can really hurt a team trying to contend. like pervious poster said, at least this is a non compete year, so less hurtful.. But Terdo and Cunnigham could have netted a return at the deadline where I don't feel Boni/Bourn/Frenchy probably won't..

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Great trade they made to acquire him!!! Genius front office strikes again.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think it was a net impact of nothing. It helped the Indians save face on two ****ty contracts and the Braves unload one ****ty contract.

And the money is equal. We could have accomplished the same thing keeping CJ and making an accounting entry.

If we can get somebody to take Bourn and $1m of his contract, we will be up $1m on the whole thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

goldfly (03-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    i truly wonder if you even think about what you say before you say it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (03-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think it was a net impact of nothing. It helped the Indians save face on two ****ty contracts and the Braves unload one ****ty contract.

And the money is equal. We could have accomplished the same thing keeping CJ and making an accounting entry.

If we can get somebody to take Bourn and $1m of his contract, we will be up $1m on the whole thing.
    It also frees up the money by the end of this year giving us more flexibility next season. IIRC, Johnson would be owed money for another year or two after this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    It also frees up the money by the end of this year giving us more flexibility next season. IIRC, Johnson would be owed money for another year or two after this season.
    I think that was the plan at the time of the trade. To sacrifice in 2016 in order to increase financial flexibility in 2017. The thought back then was that we might have a competitive team in 2017.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-29-2016), rico43 (03-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Exhibit A . . . Drew Stubbs just released. RHH that can play a legit CF. Here are his numbers versus LHP last 3 years: 276 / 357 / 424. He's a better player than Francoeur in pretty much every way.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2016), nsacpi (03-29-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Exhibit A . . . Drew Stubbs just released. RHH that can play a legit CF. Here are his numbers versus LHP last 3 years: 276 / 357 / 424. He's a better player than Francoeur in pretty much every way.
    but can they get a handshake agreement done in the next 12 minutes. a decision on Frenchy has to be made in the next 10 minutes. I personally think Boni is gone and they will keep Frenchy. cutting Boni means they eat 1.25 million.. after eating Swisher contract, you have to wonder how many more guys they are going to keep bringing in to try out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    but can they get a handshake agreement done in the next 12 minutes. a decision on Frenchy has to be made in the next 10 minutes. I personally think Boni is gone and they will keep Frenchy. cutting Boni means they eat 1.25 million.. after eating Swisher contract, you have to wonder how many more guys they are going to keep bringing in to try out.
    If I were king, I'd release Frenchy and keep Boni for now as a backup plan while I pursued better options like Stubbs. If you can lock down Stubbs, Boni hits the bricks.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    If I were king, I'd release Frenchy and keep Boni for now as a backup plan while I pursued better options like Stubbs. If you can lock down Stubbs, Boni hits the bricks.
    not really excited about a guy who already has a K% of 30 for his career and is trending that in the wrong direction. And yes that is also his % against lefties..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Our real need is not someone like Stubbs but a decent bench bat to bring in against righty relievers.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Our real need is not someone like Stubbs but a decent bench bat to bring in against righty relievers.
    Our REAL need is Mallex in CF, Inciarte in RF, Markakis in LF, Olivera becoming a great defender at 3B overnight, the DH adopted and a trade of Folty and Ruiz to Houston for Gattis, and a couple of other things - but who's counting?!?!?

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    i truly wonder if you even think about what you say before you say it.

You going to try and blindly defend every move the front office makes this season?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    You going to try and blindly defend every move the front office makes this season?
    Love how you throw the word "blindly" into so many posts.

I am guessing I will support most of the moves the Braves make this year because of what I see happening. Nothing blind about it. A few tough years to set the stage for a bright future. A strong farm system. A bunch of excellent prospects. An attitude of optimism in the organization. The resources to fill what holes remain over the next couple of years.

A rebuild to be sure... but a rebuild that was needed, and from all the evidence I see, a rebuild that is slightly ahead of schedule.

I think they are doing a lot to earn our support, so yes I think a few of us will support them this year, but far from blindly.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-29-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Love how you throw the word "blindly" into so many posts.

I am guessing I will support most of the moves the Braves make this year because of what I see happening. Nothing blind about it. A few tough years to set the stage for a bright future. A strong farm system. A bunch of excellent prospects. An attitude of optimism in the organization. The resources to fill what holes remain over the next couple of years.

A rebuild to be sure... but a rebuild that was needed, and from all the evidence I see, a rebuild that is slightly ahead of schedule.

I think they are doing a lot to earn our support, so yes I think a few of us will support them this year, but far from blindly.

Can I see more examples of me tossing the word "blindly" into posts?

Anyway back on track. These bozos still think the Braves can compete. That thought alone is reason enough to be questionable of the front office. There is next to zero major league talent on this team. Teams need some sort of balance in order to be successful. Counting on all these prospects to pan out is extremely unlikely and that's being generous. Once again the major league roster going into this season is worse than it was the previous season. Not exactly ringing endorsements of the front office. I understand the need of young talent, but to basically dismiss the major league club two straight off seasons is alarming in my opinion. At some point there needs to be a mixture of real major league players and the prospects. Until the organization puts forth some sort of effort to improve the Atlanta Braves, I will remain extremely negative. Two years of getting worse at the major league level (the one that actually matters) needs to be questioned. Games are won on the field and not in some minor league affiliate city.