Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how good will Wisler be this year?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

how good will Wisler be this year?

Officially the #3 starter, but I think he will easily become our #2. He seemed to be just a bit off to start tonight's game but was pitching very well for the rest of the game. The double by Jones that knocked him out was a good pitch that a competent CF would have caught, but we had Boni out there ..

So here is my prediction for Wisler...

13-6 3.40 ERA

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    He'll be alright if he keeps the ball in the park. I hesitate to put stats on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    He will have some struggles here and there, but he is the kind of talent that you want to give a lot of opportunities to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I'm thinking he's gonna go though some struggles this year. He still walks too many for a guy that's not gonna post a ton of Ks.

I expect 10-12 with a 4.65 ERA.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'll go out on a limb and say FAR better than Folty.

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Folty will be fine. But I would send him for at least a couple months to AAA to start the season. I think he'll be a part of our rotation by the end of this season and in subsequent seasons. I see both Folty and Wisler as big parts of this team's future. As starting pitchers.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Look, when I watch this kid I see a guy that's Greg Maddux. Look, then he's got that Rick Reed in him. And Ken Hill too. No doubt about it, he's gonna be great, real good, could be HOF worthy, just not gonna happen cause Scott Rolen is not his 3B. He'd be Kris Medlen, though, with Chipper Jones. So look in the end, really I have no idea in hell what he will be, what he may become, but what he is is damn good.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (03-29-2016), nsacpi (03-30-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm thinking he's gonna go though some struggles this year. He still walks too many for a guy that's not gonna post a ton of Ks.

I think he'll have his ups and downs this year, but I think he's got the stuff. I think he showed some heart in bouncing back and making some adjustments after that horrid stretch last season. I'm trying to keep my expectations for him modest, but I do believe he could exceed them.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Look, when I watch this kid I see a guy that's Greg Maddux. Look, then he's got that Rick Reed in him. And Ken Hill too. No doubt about it, he's gonna be great, real good, could be HOF worthy, just not gonna happen cause Scott Rolen is not his 3B. He'd be Kris Medlen, though, with Chipper Jones. So look in the end, really I have no idea in hell what he will be, what he may become, but what he is is damn good.
    Look, you need to be up early for your 7 am tee off time, John.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts

I'm more optimistic. I was very impressed with his finish last year after getting rocked for a month. He did a great job of keeping his poise and figuring it out. I think he still has a gopher problem, but I think he starts to develop a stronger change and misses more bats.

12-8, 3.49, 190 innings, 50 BB, 120 Ks, 22 HRs, 1.28 WHIP, 3.20 FIP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Folty will be fine. But I would send him for at least a couple months to AAA to start the season. I think he'll be a part of our rotation by the end of this season and in subsequent seasons. I see both Folty and Wisler as big parts of this team's future. As starting pitchers.
    I hope you're right about Folty. His stuff is utterly explosive, but he sure does struggle with command. Four seamers that back up across the middle of the plate, sliders that he starts 3 inches too high, fat 0-2 pitches. He had the best Braves start I saw last year when he shut out...Houston, I think it was. Un-freakin'-hittable. But then you'll see him get cuffed around the next three starts. Too early to tell, obviously, but he strikes me as a coach-killer type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Officially the #3 starter, but I think he will easily become our #2. He seemed to be just a bit off to start tonight's game but was pitching very well for the rest of the game. The double by Jones that knocked him out was a good pitch that a competent CF would have caught, but we had Boni out there ..

So here is my prediction for Wisler...

13-6 3.40 ERA
    I'm bullish on him, too. Your numbers would not surprise me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I'm more optimistic. I was very impressed with his finish last year after getting rocked for a month. He did a great job of keeping his poise and figuring it out. I think he still has a gopher problem, but I think he starts to develop a stronger change and misses more bats.

12-8, 3.49, 190 innings, 50 BB, 120 Ks, 22 HRs, 1.28 WHIP, 3.20 FIP.
    I don't think he can put up a 3.20 FIP with 50 BBs, 120 Ks, and 22 HRs. The stat line you've got there is essentially identical to Mike Leake from last year and his FIP was 4.20.

I'm cautious with my expectations of Wisler this year but that's not me saying I don't think he'll ever amount to anything. He might become an excellent pitcher in time. I don't know yet. He's still got some things he needs to work on. He has to find a way to K more, walk fewer, and give up fewer long balls. All of these things go back to him refining his command and approach. He's not got overpowering stuff but he's got good enough stuff and he's smart. If he can learn to hit is spots and become craftier on the mound, I think he has a very bright future. But I don't think the future is now.

He's going to have some good stretches but there will be growing pains. Ultimately I think his bad starts will keep his stats depressed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'll do backflips if he pitches 190 innings this year with only 50 BB.
    if he gets to 190, he'll walk around 70 guys. which would be OK for a young pitcher to do.

#s are obviously a random guess but I'll go:

160 IP, 115/60 K/BB, ~4.20 ERA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Wisler had a very good walk rate (under 2 per nine innings) in his twelve starts in AAA last year. I often talk about the value of finishing school in AAA for prospects. But being able to hold down walks gets harder as you move up levels and play against hitters with a much better idea of the strike zone. That's what I want to see out of our pitching prospects as they move up. Just to tie in with the other thread about Kyle Kinman, he had a walk rate of over 4 in AA last year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I hope you're right about Folty. His stuff is utterly explosive, but he sure does struggle with command. Four seamers that back up across the middle of the plate, sliders that he starts 3 inches too high, fat 0-2 pitches. He had the best Braves start I saw last year when he shut out...Houston, I think it was. Un-freakin'-hittable. But then you'll see him get cuffed around the next three starts. Too early to tell, obviously, but he strikes me as a coach-killer type.
    Folty's problem is that he "lives upstairs" with his fastball and big league hitters can turn on those pitches. That usually means the ball is going over or off the fence (and leaving dent when it does). Explosive stuff that really has to be refined. I'd let him work on it in Gwinnett to start the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Folty's problem is that he "lives upstairs" with his fastball and big league hitters can turn on those pitches.
    Wisler is a fly ball pitcher too. And lots of successful major league pitchers are. A fellow named Javier Vazquez comes to mind. He gave up a lot of home runs. Folty can survive the fly ball tendencies if he can bring the walk rate down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Wisler is a fly ball pitcher too. And lots of successful major league pitchers are. A fellow named Javier Vazquez comes to mind. He gave up a lot of home runs. Folty can survive the fly ball tendencies if he can bring the walk rate down.
    If he's 6'5", and likes to pitch up throwing 95-97, that'll work. It would work even better if he pitched down some in order to change eye level and mix it up more.

I gotta see him more before I totally dismiss him, and he's in the right place to learn and benefit from organizational patience. It might be a deal where there's a mental key that will help him stay off the fat part of the bat. He's definitely one of those guys you fall in love with in a bullpen, just not sure it ever happens consistently on a mound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    I don't think he can put up a 3.20 FIP with 50 BBs, 120 Ks, and 22 HRs. The stat line you've got there is essentially identical to Mike Leake from last year and his FIP was 4.20.

I'm cautious with my expectations of Wisler this year but that's not me saying I don't think he'll ever amount to anything. He might become an excellent pitcher in time. I don't know yet. He's still got some things he needs to work on. He has to find a way to K more, walk fewer, and give up fewer long balls. All of these things go back to him refining his command and approach. He's not got overpowering stuff but he's got good enough stuff and he's smart. If he can learn to hit is spots and become craftier on the mound, I think he has a very bright future. But I don't think the future is now.

He's going to have some good stretches but there will be growing pains. Ultimately I think his bad starts will keep his stats depressed.
    Yeah, I think I had my logic backwards on the FIP thing. Anyway, I think his future starts to arrive this year. Good looking young pitcher with a good mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Wisler had a very good walk rate (under 2 per nine innings) in his twelve starts in AAA last year. I often talk about the value of finishing school in AAA for prospects. But being able to hold down walks gets harder as you move up levels and play against hitters with a much better idea of the strike zone. That's what I want to see out of our pitching prospects as they move up. Just to tie in with the other thread about Kyle Kinman, he had a walk rate of over 4 in AA last year.
    All your great LH relievers have walk rates of 5. They only throw occasional strikes and the rest of the time guys are just hoping they don't get hit, waving at balls helplessly on their way back to the dugout or 1B. Kinman is our answer.