Thread: Kyle Kinman Gettting His Chance

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Kyle Kinman Gettting His Chance

Of all the left-handers in camp, thank God the Braves finally noticed Kyle Kinman.

First of all, he's 25 years old, hardly a kid.

Secondly, he has answered every challenge put before him: Since being the 25th round pick in 2014, he's appeared in 63 games, all in relief, he has a 4-0 record, 22 saves, a 2.21 ERA, 108 strikeouts and only 32 walks in 81 career innings.

One scouting reports is Kinman relies on a four-seam fastball which has mid-90's velocity on the high end. He also mixes in a slider

He's allowed only one home run, that soon after making his pro debut. In 2015, none in 52 innings, 44 games.

In his final year of college, as a starter, he struck out 141 batters in 92 innings.

And how is this for cool? He was born Sept.25, 1990, the date of the worst-to-first Braves' memorable 10-0 win over the Reds that included a David Justice grand slam.

Man's gotta be a Brave. Why not now?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-29-2016), JohnAdcox (03-30-2016), UNCBlue012 (03-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Of all the left-handers in camp, thank God the Braves finally noticed Kyle Kinman.

First of all, he's 25 years old, hardly a kid.

Secondly, he has answered every challenge put before him: Since being the 25th round pick in 2014, he's appeared in 63 games, all in relief, he has a 4-0 record, 22 saves, a 2.21 ERA, 108 strikeouts and only 32 walks in 81 career innings.

One scouting reports is Kinman relies on a four-seam fastball which has mid-90's velocity on the high end. He also mixes in a slider

He's allowed only one home run, that soon after making his pro debut. In 2015, none in 52 innings, 44 games.

In his final year of college, as a starter, he struck out 141 batters in 92 innings.

And how is this for cool? He was born Sept.25, 1990, the date of the worst-to-first Braves' memorable 10-0 win over the Reds that included a David Justice grand slam.

Man's gotta be a Brave. Why not now?
    Kinman is our best lefty relief prospect. But I figured given his relative short time in AA that he'd at least start in the minors this year. Don't get me wrong, I am quite high on him I just don't want to rush him to the Majors in a rebuild year.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (03-29-2016), UNCBlue012 (03-30-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    One homer allowed in 80 career minor league innings, and it came in rookie ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    No need to rush anyone this year. Let em marinate in AA and AAA until they are clearly ready.

Plus there are all these lefty relievers currently available: Choate, Duensing, Cotts, Wright, Morales, Thatcher.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think will default to a veteran, and in this case that's not necessarily bad.

I agree with Rico's read of Kinman and I look forward to seeing him soon.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Nah. Give him a job, see what he can do. What, you want to wait until he's 28 to bring him up? Our LH relievers have been a giant bucket of suck. What's the harm?

He'll either get guys out or he won't. Me, I think I'd rather worry about my fragile psyche while I'm making a half mil a year and scoring all the trim I can handle.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-30-2016), Tapate50 (03-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Any word when Simmons should be back as an option? Haven't heard that name in too long.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Any word when Simmons should be back as an option? Haven't heard that name in too long.
    May.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    If Simmons comes back pretty close to his old self, I'm very optimistic this pen will be pretty dang good.

So, as for the thread title... Did Kinman make the team? The title seems like it's a done deal?
    Last edited by Tapate50; 03-30-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Nah. Give him a job, see what he can do. What, you want to wait until he's 28 to bring him up? Our LH relievers have been a giant bucket of suck. What's the harm?
    Actually there is often harm when a player is called up without establishing a baseline of success in the high minors.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I wouldn't totally dismiss Marksberry. His numbers against LHH last year were phenomenal in the minors and solid in his stint with the big club. I thought they pushed him a bit too aggressively last season, but he looks like a very effective future LOOGY.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    If Simmons comes back pretty close to his old self, I'm very optimistic this pen will be pretty dang good.

So, as for the thread title... Did Kinman make the team? The title seems like it's a done deal?
    No, but he was used twice in three days. That's more than a callover from the minor league camp, wouldn't you say?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Actually there is often harm when a player is called up without establishing a baseline of success in the high minors.
    Leffty relievers are different animals. Usual unwritten rules do not apply. As for those preaching veteran castoffs over guys in the system -- they ALL can't be rookies in 2017. And their clocks can't all be starting at the same time.

He got the job done at three different levels last year, but he is so totally unknown by the Atlanta media. DOB even called him a starter in one of his tweets last night. He has never started in a pro game.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Gotta agree with rico and Gov here - I really don't see much potential long-term downside to giving him a look, especially early on. Start him out as nothing other than your LOOGY.

If he continues eating lefties up, expand him a little - SLOWLY. If he starts to get hit around early, there are several vets we could run out and get and the brass would still be in a position to massage his confidence if he has to be sent back down. Would be pretty easy to say "We were in a position where we needed another lefty in the pen while we were negotiating with Cotts/Choate/whomever, and Kyle was by far our best option in that role. We knew he wasn't quite ready yet but he will be very soon, and we expect him to be an important part of our pen in the near-future".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Leffty relievers are different animals. Usual unwritten rules do not apply. As for those preaching veteran castoffs over guys in the system -- they ALL can't be rookies in 2017. And their clocks can't all be starting at the same time.

He got the job done at three different levels last year, but he is so totally unknown by the Atlanta media. DOB even called him a starter in one of his tweets last night. He has never started in a pro game.
    I'm not arguing we should keep Kinman in the minors all year. I'm good with a mid-season call-up if he does well for a couple months in AAA. I'm not good with a spot being given to him based on 3 or 4 innings of spring training, especially with the number of competent lefties currently available.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-30-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm not arguing we should keep Kinman in the minors all year. I'm good with a mid-season call-up if he does well for a couple months in AAA. I'm not good with a spot being given to him based on 3 or 4 innings of spring training, especially with the number of competent lefties currently available.
    How many good innings would you be OK with? I understand what you're saying (and think rico does too), and am only partially trying to be a smartass, but Braves' RPs in camp this year included...

Ramirez - 11.0
    Winkler - 10.0
    C. Torres - 9.0
    A. Torres - 8.0
    Johnson - 7.0
    Viz - 6.0
    Krol & Ogando - 5.2

Our scouts and coaches are far more familiar with Kinman than several of those listed above since he's been in our system. They've gotten to see all his sides and prep work just like those other guys.

If 4 innings is enough to decide to put Grilli on the roster and 3.1 innings is enough to decide to send Marksberry down, is the number of innings really that important? Shouldn't what he accomplished when he was pitching be part of the decision-making process?
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-30-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    How many good innings would you be OK with? I understand what you're saying (and think rico does too), and am only partially trying to be a smartass, but Braves' RPs in camp this year included...

Ramirez - 11.0
    Winkler - 10.0
    C. Torres - 9.0
    A. Torres - 8.0
    Johnson - 7.0
    Viz - 6.0
    Krol & Ogando - 5.2

Our scouts and coaches are far more familiar with Kinman than several of those listed above since he's been in our system. They've gotten to see all his sides and prep work just like those other guys.

If 4 innings is enough to decide to put Grilli on the roster and 3.1 innings is enough to decide to send Marksberry down, is the number of innings really that important? Shouldn't what he accomplished when he was pitching be part of the decision-making process?
    I don't think the spring training numbers for Grilli or Viz are much of a basis for anything either. But I do think what they did in the MAJOR LEAGUES last year is relevant.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't think the spring training numbers for Grilli or Viz are much of a basis for anything either. But I do think what they did in the MAJOR LEAGUES last year is relevant.
    So what was a fair number of IP for a decision on Ogando? Ramirez? Torres?

If the decision is based on a combination of MLB success in 2015 and spring training results, shouldn't Jim Johnson be trying to find a job elsewhere?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts

If the decision is based on a combination of MLB success in 2015 and spring training results, shouldn't Jim Johnson be trying to find a job elsewhere?
    yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

To be honest all of these guys should be sent to AAA. But that would leave us without a pen. My advocating Kinman being sent to the minors actually is a reflection that I think he has a better chance of being of value to the team down the line that the guys you just listed.