Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Stubbs

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Braves sign Stubbs

Would think this means Bourn or maybe even Ender or Markakis will be moved. Bowman says Frenchy is safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Would think this means Bourn or maybe even Ender or Markakis will be moved. Bowman says Frenchy is safe.
    At this point replacing Bourn with yet another righty bat does not make sense. Most likely he is headed to AAA and will provide depth from there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-31-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    MLBtrade speculates that Bonafacio will be the odd man out...

Olivera --safe
    Inciarte -- safe
    Markakis --safe
    Frenchy --safe
    Bonafacio/KJ/Stubbs

KJ can be considered safe as he can productively fill in multiple positions
    Stubbs goes to AAA to get at bats and be on call in case of injury

Bonafacio is on an MLB deal and doesn't have a position.
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-31-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Stubbs is pretty bad, but he does make some sense. Interested to see how this plays out.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Finally!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-31-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Stubbs is pretty bad, but he does make some sense. Interested to see how this plays out.
    Plus base runner and defender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    It could be they just want him for depth because they haven't decided on what to do about Bourn or Boni. It also may be that they're considering releasing both Bourn and Boni or have a trade in place for one and are considering releasing the other. Time will tell.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    It has been awhile since Stubbs actually resembled a major leageu player. Onfe upon a time, he seemed to have the tools, though, and the Braves' philosophy seems to be to take in cast-off No. 1 picks like strays. But Stubbs needs to play every day in Gwinnett to find out if he has any semblance of a swing left.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Just a minor league deal. Has little affect on the 25 man roster right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Happy to see this one come across the wire. Curious to see where he'll fit in.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Plus base runner and defender.
    So is Bourn.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-31-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'd have kinda liked this move if they hadn't already decided to add Frenchy. A right-handed backup in CF makes plenty of sense, and there's probably little doubt that Stubbs can probably go get it out there better than Bourn, Frenchy, or Bonifacio, but this seems a little redundant at this point. Jeff's bat would seem to be a better option in the event of an injury to any of our OFs. JMO, but if Inciarte were going to miss an extended amount of time or were traded (or had to move to RF if Markakis got hurt for that matter) they'd go ahead and call Mallex up. Frenchy's probably going to be OK in CF as an emergency fill-in, but I don't think anybody wants to see him out there for anything other than that (including the brass). Cutting any of these guys loose isn't likely going to affect the long-term budget regardless, but the signing does seem a bit odd at this juncture.

Since the main goal is to be sure that Bourn's option has no chance to vest, maybe he's simply released now, Frenchy is the backup CF to start the season, and Stubbs is kept in case we need another short-term (15 Day DL for Inciarte or Markakis) option to keep from starting Mallex' clock any earlier than is absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-30-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    If we aren't going anywhere this year, the Stubbs signing really makes no sense. If we had a stellar OF that needed a 4th OF who could simply run the bases and back up all three OF spots, Stubbs would be a good choice to do that. But that's not where we are as a team.

For the record, I didn't think the Francoeur signing made much sense either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If we aren't going anywhere this year, the Stubbs signing really makes no sense. If we had a stellar OF that needed a 4th OF who could simply run the bases and back up all three OF spots, Stubbs would be a good choice to do that. But that's not where we are as a team.

For the record, I didn't think the Francoeur signing made much sense either.
    I think the reasoning is that we have the luxury to take fliers on veterans to see if they have a resurgence. If they do then we can flip them for useful pieces. If not then we release them without any harm done. So if Stubbs rebounds from last year and shows he can hit lefties, swipe bags, and play a good CF, there's going to be a team wanting him come June or July.

The same goes for Frenchy. If he shows he can bring some power off the bench then he'll be in demand as well.

We're not going to get a top 100 prospect for these guys but we could get a live arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    If Stubbs makes the team over Bourn, I think we can expect him to be just slightly better than Bourn when it comes to offense, defensive range, and baserunning. Definitely has a better throwing arm than Bourn from what I recall. I suspect the interest in Stubbs though is more about his right-handedness than him being a significant upgrade over Bourn. There's also a small chance that the Braves have something up their sleeve with Inciarte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    If Stubbs makes the team over Bourn, I think we can expect him to be just slightly better than Bourn when it comes to offense, defensive range, and baserunning. Definitely has a better throwing arm than Bourn from what I recall. I suspect the interest in Stubbs though is more about his right-handedness than him being a significant upgrade over Bourn. There's also a small chance that the Braves have something up their sleeve with Inciarte.
    I really hope we don't trade inciarte before the season starts

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-31-2016), JohnAdcox (03-31-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think the reasoning is that we have the luxury to take fliers on veterans to see if they have a resurgence. If they do then we can flip them for useful pieces. If not then we release them without any harm done. So if Stubbs rebounds from last year and shows he can hit lefties, swipe bags, and play a good CF, there's going to be a team wanting him come June or July.

The same goes for Frenchy. If he shows he can bring some power off the bench then he'll be in demand as well.

We're not going to get a top 100 prospect for these guys but we could get a live arm.

I think this a bad idea to continue to try and do. Eventually the team has to start making moves to help build their major league roster. Signing veterans from the scrapyard to try and trade them later isn't the answer. This is the Johns way of trying to outsmart other teams. I mean I understand this at some capacity, but not at the rate the Braves are trying to accomplish. All I am saying is that at some point the Braves need to bring in better major league players. Not just relying on a ton of unproven talent in the minor leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I really hope we don't trade inciarte before the season starts
    Yeah, I hope they're not undervaluing Inciarte. The Bill Shanks rumor that had us essentially trading him for Kyle Tucker made me a little uneasy.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-31-2016), JohnAdcox (03-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think this a bad idea to continue to try and do. Eventually the team has to start making moves to help build their major league roster. Signing veterans from the scrapyard to try and trade them later isn't the answer. This is the Johns way of trying to outsmart other teams. I mean I understand this at some capacity, but not at the rate the Braves are trying to accomplish. All I am saying is that at some point the Braves need to bring in better major league players. Not just relying on a ton of unproven talent in the minor leagues.
    They do need to bring in better players at some point. But that point appears to be off in the future. The FO has talked a good game about how they will not allow a repeat of last year, but I think this is what we are looking at.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I wouldn't imagine this move means anything for Inciarte. I seriously doubt we're getting Stubbs so we can start him in CF.