Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4/7 Minors Thread: Opening Day everywhere

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Winkler and Gant could also contend for the rotation in a year or two.
    It is nice to have so many prospects that can make an impact on the MLB team that you can even use that statement..

not very long ago, that statement would have read with a 'maybe we could' in it, because we were searching for pitching solutions.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Some of these guys are going to have to be relievers, may as well keep Winkler there since he looks like he's a good one.

Sims is one I think could thrive as a reliever. That fastball-breaking ball combo is lethal. I'm glad we keep starting him and certainly think he's got a shot to start, but I bet he'd be a really good reliever if we needed him there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Some of these guys are going to have to be relievers, may as well keep Winkler there since he looks like he's a good one.

Sims is one I think could thrive as a reliever. That fastball-breaking ball combo is lethal. I'm glad we keep starting him and certainly think he's got a shot to start, but I bet he'd be a really good reliever if we needed him there.
    I think you want your best guys as starters. Just hope the FO keeps an open mind and doesn't pigeonhole Gant and Winkler as relievers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you want your best guys as starters. Just hope the FO keeps an open mind and doesn't pigeonhole Gant and Winkler as relievers.
    I actually think both those guys will probably have careers in the pen. Winkler's fate could rely on his splits. Often you see guys with funky arm angles from the right side have trouble with lefties. As for Gant, I just don't see his stuff being good enough going through the order multiple times but I think he'd be excellent for one inning.

I think Sims would be a dominant reliever but I'm nowhere near sending him to the pen. He's got a plus fastball, a plus curve, and a changeup that's a major league pitch when he's on. With Sims it's all about consistency. If he keeps his mechanics clean and repeats his delivery, he's a major league starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    No way does Sims sniff the bp anytime soon.