Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4/13 Minors Thread for Wednesday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Riley started out like that after the draft but adjusted and hit just fine. I'll give him a full season. He's what 18??

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Riley started out like that after the draft but adjusted and hit just fine. I'll give him a full season. He's what 18??
    I imagine about this time a year ago, he was worried about prom, so I don't think there's any reason to panic. He'll adjust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    It's only a week, but man Riley isn't exactly quieting the skeptics with that K rate. Yikes.
    His K rate is high right now, but he also has a .318 ISO and a 189 wRC+.

For comparison, Braxton Davidson's approach is lauded by many, but he strikes out almost as much as Riley and has MUCH LESS in game power.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    His K rate is high right now, but he also has a .318 ISO and a 189 wRC+.

For comparison, Braxton Davidson's approach is lauded by many, but he strikes out almost as much as Riley and has MUCH LESS in game power.
    Is Davidson's approach lauded? I have read a lot on this board and on prospect sites that he takes too many pitches.

As for Riley, strikeouts in the lower level seem to have a way for forecasting issues at higher levels. I would be interested on what type of pitches he's striking out on.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Is Davidson's approach lauded? I have read a lot on this board and on prospect sites that he takes too many pitches.

As for Riley, strikeouts in the lower level seem to have a way for forecasting issues at higher levels. I would be interested on what type of pitches he's striking out on.
    In the two-dimensional sense, Davidson has been consistently lauded because he does draw walks. I'm very skeptical on Davidson because I don't know if his walk rate will hold while he moves up the system and his K-rate could increase as pitching gets better. He's really young, so I think we all have to wait, but your the comparison of Riley and Davidson is one to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Braxton seems to be a favorite of the sabermetric fans who believe a walk is the end all be all of offensive stats.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think Davidson has been described as patient to a fault, even by saber-inclined analysts. Strike zone judgement is never a bad thing, though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (04-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Not saying that Davidson is better but his K rate in Rome was 27%. For Riley so far 39%. Small sample caveat applies. But if that 39% continues, it is a big difference and a big deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Braxton seems to be a favorite of the sabermetric fans who believe a walk is the end all be all of offensive stats.
    I read these boards nearly every day and I don't see where you are getting that.

And that last part is so 2006. We statheads have long since moved onto more obtuse stats. Average exit velocity >>>

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    In the two-dimensional sense, Davidson has been consistently lauded because he does draw walks. I'm very skeptical on Davidson because I don't know if his walk rate will hold while he moves up the system and his K-rate could increase as pitching gets better. He's really young, so I think we all have to wait, but your the comparison of Riley and Davidson is one to watch.
    I don't see the need to compare Riley and Davidson. Even if the strikeout rates are ultimately comparable, how they are striking out are much much different. Davidson's strikeouts are quite obviously a factor of taking too many pitches, while Riley's seems much more related to his swing. Klaw can be annoying about how much he sticks to his guns, but his critique of Riley's "slider bat speed" is worth monitoring.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I have always thought that KJ was a good thumbnail comp for Davidson.

Hyper-patient (maybe to a fault), nice line drive swing, iffy defense.

What KJ had that Davidson doesn't yet is a breakout power season in the low minors.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (04-14-2016)