Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4/18 MONDAY MINORS THREAD ... Folty, Soroka in spotlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The run Ellis gave up came about due to an error and was unearned last I checked, I wonder why they changed it to earned? Either way, good line again for Ellis tonight. I'll try to catch it on replay when the post the archive of the game later.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The run Ellis gave up came about due to an error and was unearned last I checked, I wonder why they changed it to earned? Either way, good line again for Ellis tonight. I'll try to catch it on replay when the post the archive of the game later.
    Ellis has 1 next to ER.. so I assume they changed it.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Herbert and Riley have been pretty disappointing so far this year.
    Herbert is a high school product who played in two games last year before hurting his knee. He's teenager in a full-season league. Take a deep breath.

FYI: he's thrown out five of eight base stealers so far.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-18-2016), Coach_Chris (04-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Why? Because the Southern League is full of bozos for official scorers. I should know; I am one.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    So, what are the chances Dansby Swanson is in Mississippi when the M-Braves come to Mobile a little more than a month from now?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Herbert is a high school product who played in two games last year before hurting his knee. He's teenager in a full-season league. Take a deep breath.

FYI: he's thrown out five of eight base stealers so far.
    This place can be really annoying at times. No one ever said we were calling him a bust or ready to cut the guy. He hasn't started off well at the plate. That's not really up for debate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    So, what are the chances Dansby Swanson is in Mississippi when the M-Braves come to Mobile a little more than a month from now?
    Probably not good unless Albies is in Gwinnett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Just a random FYI:

Astudillo has played 10 games, 36 ABs so far (.278) and has yet to strike out or take a walk.

Last year, he was the hardest player to strike out in baseball.
    Last edited by rico43; 04-18-2016 at 11:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-19-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Probably not good unless Albies is in Gwinnett

so you are thinking they are going to spend some time together in the minors this year?? not saying by X series.. but I think the FO is going to want them playing together for at least half this year IMO.. I know they want them both being SS.. but building that chemistry is important too.. Maybe they won't and want to keep both values high, just in case they think about including one in a trade this off season..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    so you are thinking they are going to spend some time together in the minors this year?? not saying by X series.. but I think the FO is going to want them playing together for at least half this year IMO.. I know they want them both being SS.. but building that chemistry is important too.. Maybe they won't and want to keep both values high, just in case they think about including one in a trade this off season..
    Beckham and aybar are going to get extended. We're gonna trade Swanson and Albies for bullpen arms

Really though, I have no idea if they'll let Albies and Swanson play together this year. I just figured the FO would want to get extended looks at each player playing SS daily

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Herbert and Riley have been pretty disappointing so far this year.
    Check out where the other highly-ranked high school guys are playing and how they are doing. I did today and most of the high school first rounders are still in extended spring training. The ones who are playing in full-season ball aren't doing any better than Riley or Herbert.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-19-2016), rico43 (04-18-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Really might be missing an opportunity to further challenge both Albies and Swanson for a short time right now. I see little reason NOT to bump them to AAA and AA while Castro's with the big club and Beckham's on the DL. Would allow them both to see better breaking stuff for a bit.

Don't see how it would hinder their development in the least if you moved them back down if/when you send Daniel back down - pretty much the same thing as giving them both a look against better pitching during camp.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-18-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Lol
    OK smartass, you think you are so smart, his career minor league ERA is barely under 4, with a WHIP of 1.40. His K/BB ratio is barely 2. None of that is anything special at all. You see hundreds of guys like him all the time that never amount to **** in the big leagues. Further, his first 34 appearances in the bigs have been putrid.
    Last edited by skillet; 04-18-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    OK smartass, you think you are so smart, his career minor league ERA is barely under 4, with a WHIP of 1.40. His K/BB ratio is barely 2. None of that is anything special at all. You see hundreds of guys like him all the time that never amount to **** in the big leagues. Further, his first 34 appearances in the bigs have been putrid.
    If I were a member of his immediate family I expect I might want to slap the taste out of your mouth. Last season was one in which he had a case of pneumonia that went undiagnosed for three weeks, followed by emergency surgery that removed a rib and blood clots that, to not be dramatic at all, could have killed him. This is coming from someone who lost his mom to a blood clot that was in her leg and broke loose before she could be treated.

So this annoying board would be a better place without name calling and knee jerk summation. Yeah, he had a crappy season. Most of us understand why.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    If I were a member of his immediate family I expect I might want to slap the taste out of your mouth. Last season was one in which he had a case of pneumonia that went undiagnosed for three weeks, followed by emergency surgery that removed a rib and blood clots that, to not be dramatic at all, could have killed him. This is coming from someone who lost his mom to a blood clot that was in her leg and broke loose before she could be treated.

So this annoying board would be a better place without name calling and knee jerk summation. Yeah, he had a crappy season. Most of us understand why.
    So let me get this straight, posters can't have opinions on players unless they are either glowing, or meet your specifications. Duly noted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    So let me get this straight, posters can't have opinions on players unless they are either glowing, or meet your specifications. Duly noted.
    I don't censor, I don't control. I just happen to believe that there are ways to make your point, or state your case, without stepping into the gutter. I might agree with you sometimes, and don't at other times. It would be nice if you indicated some knowledge about the people you criticize. In this case, I felt your post was particularly insensitive; I learned some time ago that players' family members read this stuff -- even if the players don't (or shouldn't).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I dont think they need to wait a bit. Players have hot streaks and cold streaks, lets see if they are still hitting like this a month from now. I would leave Albies at AA all year and promote Swanson about halfway through the MILB season. AA is more prospect laden than AAA and a lot of prospects skip it. Then they go to spring training with a chance to win a roster spot but if they arent 100% sure they are ready they can spend 2 months at AAA to delay free agency by a year. Since its a new stadium I think they will want all the excitement around the ML club they can and they start the season in the majors unless they have a terrible spring.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-19-2016), Tapate50 (04-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Check out where the other highly-ranked high school guys are playing and how they are doing. I did today and most of the high school first rounders are still in extended spring training. The ones who are playing in full-season ball aren't doing any better than Riley or Herbert.
    Acuna is a year younger than Herbert and Riley, which gives some perspective on his talent.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I don't censor, I don't control. I just happen to believe that there are ways to make your point, or state your case, without stepping into the gutter. I might agree with you sometimes, and don't at other times. It would be nice if you indicated some knowledge about the people you criticize. In this case, I felt your post was particularly insensitive; I learned some time ago that players' family members read this stuff -- even if the players don't (or shouldn't).
    If I had "stepped into the gutter", I would agree with your point. However, I would like to know what part of stating I didn't think he would amount to much at the major league level due to his career minor league stats is going into the gutter? The answer, it didn't. I said nothing negative whatsoever of the man nor his family, nor would I. I was strictly pointing out stats he so far has compiled. Further, I hope Folty proves me wrong and has an outstanding major league career. I'd be quite happy to be the first to admit I was wrong. However, that is my problem with your criticism. Had I not liked a post of yours, I would have never responded with the disrespect that you administered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think with pitchers such as Folty, where stretches of dominance can occur, you kinda marginalize the numbers and wait for "it" to click. Most people that have watched him believe that there is another level for him.

Just my .02.
    Ivermectin Man

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-19-2016)