Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Wisler Make Baseball History?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Could Wisler Make Baseball History?

Does anyone know if a pitcher has saved a game as a relief pitcher and then won the team's next scheduled game as the starting pitcher? Wisler would still have to win tomorrow night, but I would be curious to know if this feat has ever been accomplished in baseball history.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Does anyone know if a pitcher has saved a game as a relief pitcher and then won the team's next scheduled game as the starting pitcher? Wisler would still have to win tomorrow night, but I would be curious to know if this feat has ever been accomplished in baseball history.
    He can't since he is slated to go against Kershaw on Thursday. But I bet you it has been done.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He can't since he is slated to go against Kershaw on Thursday. But I bet you it has been done.
    Then why was everyone beefing about him going on Tuesday?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Then why was everyone beefing about him going on Tuesday?
    he was supposed to go on Tuesday.. but with the day off, Fredi moved him to Thursday and moved Julio and Williams up a day (normal 5th day)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    he was supposed to go on Tuesday.. but with the day off, Fredi moved him to Thursday and moved Julio and Williams up a day (normal 5th day)
    I'm no Fredi loyalist, but this whole hubbub was nothing but a tempest in a teapot.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (04-18-2016), Runnin (04-18-2016), The Chosen One (04-18-2016), TomahawkCult (04-18-2016), zbhargrove (04-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    The problem is its a meaningless game and Wisler is hopefully a significant part of our future. There is a lot of risk and no upside. Even if Wisler stays healthy we could lose draft slots from the win. Might also help Fredi keep his job longer which I know isnt popular around here.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-18-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I'm no Fredi loyalist, but this whole hubbub was nothing but a tempest in a teapot.
    It was in my opinion too.. it was Wisler's day to throw and you had a built in day off the next day making your rotation reset. It was actually a good move IMO.. and I am not a Fredi supporter in the least bit..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (04-18-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The problem is its a meaningless game and Wisler is hopefully a significant part of our future. There is a lot of risk and no upside. Even if Wisler stays healthy we could lose draft slots from the win. Might also help Fredi keep his job longer which I know isnt popular around here.
    Not sure why more don't see it this way. There is absolutely nothing gained by throwing Wisler relief. No reason to even possibly jeopardize something with him by messing with his throwing routine.

Everyone keeps saying it's not a big deal because it was his throw day. If it wasn't a big deal, then why did they move back his start?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Not sure why more don't see it this way. There is absolutely nothing gained by throwing Wisler relief. No reason to even possibly jeopardize something with him by messing with his throwing routine.

Everyone keeps saying it's not a big deal because it was his throw day. If it wasn't a big deal, then why did they move back his start?
    Vizcaino was the only guy left out there and if he was gassed from throwing 35 pitches Friday night, why send him out there? His arm was more likely to fall off than Wisler's. Fredi can't manage a bullpen very well. There's no disputing that, but using Wisler seemed to have the least negative potential.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I'm not advocating for Vizcaino to have thrown either. I'm glad they saved him.

I'm advocating for getting a manager who can get 4+ innings out of his bullpen without having to use a starter when he's down one bullpen arm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Vizcaino was the only guy left out there and if he was gassed from throwing 35 pitches Friday night, why send him out there? His arm was more likely to fall off than Wisler's. Fredi can't manage a bullpen very well. There's no disputing that, but using Wisler seemed to have the least negative potential.
    So what happens if Wisler gives up a run and the game went on for several more innings.

How the heck did we run out of pitchers in a 10 inning game where the starter went 6?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-18-2016), jpx7 (04-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So what happens if Wisler gives up a run and the game went on for several more innings.

How the heck did we run out of pitchers in a 10 inning game where the starter went 6?
    Because Fredi. Either way, there's a reason that Weber came up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Why is there risk for Wisler?? He last threw Wednesday. That was 4 days of rest. He could have gone multiple innings if need be. The only risk was him having to miss a start coming up.. which if that happened, we could have called someone from AAA to take, since Beckham was going on the DL.. There was ZERO risk for Wisler.. or no different than him starting.. I really think there is plenty to pick on Fredi about.. but I am not going to create a situation out of nothing just because I hate Frediot...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Fredi uses pitchers like toilette paper.. He thinks that them facing one hitter isn't putting stress on an arm.. I will agree all day long he can't see the forest through the trees..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Why is there risk for Wisler?? He last threw Wednesday. That was 4 days of rest. He could have gone multiple innings if need be. The only risk was him having to miss a start coming up.. which if that happened, we could have called someone from AAA to take, since Beckham was going on the DL.. There was ZERO risk for Wisler.. or no different than him starting.. I really think there is plenty to pick on Fredi about.. but I am not going to create a situation out of nothing just because I hate Frediot...
    The issue isn't whether Wisler did or didn't pitch. The issue is that we were woefully unprepared for the potential of extra innings, which is a recurrent theme with Fredi.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2016), jpx7 (04-18-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    The issue isn't whether Wisler did or didn't pitch. The issue is that we were woefully unprepared for the potential of extra innings, which is a recurrent theme with Fredi.
    and I stated that his BP management is atrocious... but I didn't think at that moment (in a vacuum) using Wisler was a bad move... thankfully it worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Wasn't Withrow available. He migh have been the sacrificial lamb if the game went long.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    I feel like Fredi is playing checkers with bullpen management while most competent managers play chess. Fredi only thinks of one batter at a time instead of multiple batters and possible situations

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-18-2016), goldfly (04-18-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

My guess is Wisler keeps going as has been explained above. The off day allowed everyone else to get pushed up a day.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    The risk is that Wisler doesn't properly warm up for a relief appearance. Warming up for a start vs a relief appearance are two different things