Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes Are A Coming...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Changes Are A Coming...

And sooner than many might think if the brass is serious about being competitive in 2017 (by any measure) IMO.

June:
    Blair in the rotation
    Simmons in the pen
    Folty in the pen
    Ruiz at 3B
    Garcia in LF
    Flowers regularly behind the plate

Trading Deadline:
    One of Albies/Swanson called up
    Norris gone one way or another, Jenkins in the rotation
    Jim Johnson gone one way or another
    Stubbs released, Mallex up for good even if he's only the 4th OF until someone's traded
    Pierzynski traded if at all possible, Lalli or Lavarnway up as a true backup
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-20-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    If Folty comes up I think it'd be as a starter not reliever.
    Forever Fredi

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    If Folty comes up I think it'd be as a starter not reliever.

Yeah, can't see them bringing him up as a reliever without him doing so in the minors for a bit. Or at least I hope they don't. Certainly hope we don't see Albies/Swanson up this year either, that would be rushing the hell out of them, and there is just zero reason to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And sooner than many might think if the brass is serious about being competitive in 2017 (by any measure) IMO.

June:
    Blair in the rotation
    Simmons in the pen
    Folty in the pen
    Ruiz at 3B
    Garcia in LF

Trading Deadline:
    Stubbs released, Mallex up for good even if he's only the 4th OF until someone's traded
    Good luck with all that happening. Doubt Jenkins will be in the rotation... He hasn't made the strides yet. His peripherals are terrible even if he has the potential.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    There is a legitimate chance that the opening day major league roster includes Mallex, Swanson, Albies, Ruiz, Blair, Newcomb, and Sims next year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There is a legitimate chance that the opening day major league roster includes Mallex, Swanson, Albies, Ruiz, Blair, Newcomb, and Sims next year.
    I'd set the over/under at 3.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I think it's better to call up pitchers a year earlier (after June) than position.

It's all moot were talking about adding an extra year if we can't afford them. If they're as great as projected then Dansby and Oz will get a lot of money in free agency and who knows how inflated MLB salaries will be by then.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-20-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

June:
    Blair in the rotation
    Simmons in the pen
    Folty in the pen
    Ruiz at 3B
    Garcia in LF

Trading Deadline:
    Is simmons on track? I've heard nothing on him.

I think (and most think) that we could upgrade the team with Albies and Swanson. I'll let the team decide on service time. IMO they need to play this year if you plan on them being the major piece next year. If they are good, look to extend them before FA. IF they are good and do not want an extension then you trade them and we will cry about it on the board. Maybe Maiten is ready in 4-5 years and you get a big haul for albies or Swanson if they won't sign an extension.

Mallex and Inciarte on the same team makes no sense to me.

Folty is a starter unless by some miracle we are making a run and they need him there. This is Folty's year to either declare himself a starter or a reliever. I'm hoping starter and then trade to the Rockies.

I'm hopeful we can get some good assets in the trade market for some Aybar, Johnson, Norris, Chacin, Stubbs, Pierzynski, KJ, and Markakis. We have the money to pay their way this year, so that could maximize their value. I know some will laugh at those names (Aybar for ex) but this staff turned Alberto Cayaspo (spelling?) into useful pieces.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd set the over/under at 3.
    Over.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-20-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I don't want Folty anywhere near the bullpen this year; his stuff is so good - we need to give him all the time in the world to see if he can translate to the majors. Its not like we're going to be in a pennant hunt this season and need to fortify the pen.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I don't want Folty anywhere near the bullpen this year; his stuff is so good - we need to give him all the time in the world to see if he can translate to the majors. Its not like we're going to be in a pennant hunt this season and need to fortify the pen.
    I agree that I don't want him in the pen right now.. but only half his stuff is good and that is not always true either. otherwise he wouldn't still be in AAA... I think if he can command a 2 seam fastball and some other off speed pitch, he will be very, very good..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-20-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I don't think you will see a lot of the young guys until September since you have to be thinking about years 5 & 6 of the arby control. There is no need to rush them when you have a team that isn't going anywhere.

Plus, do you really want Freddie managing these young ego's?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

I think (and most think) that we could upgrade the team with Albies and Swanson. I'll let the team decide on service time. IMO they need to play this year if you plan on them being the major piece next year. If they are good, look to extend them before FA. IF they are good and do not want an extension then you trade them and we will cry about it on the board. Maybe Maiten is ready in 4-5 years and you get a big haul for albies or Swanson if they won't sign an extension.

Mallex and Inciarte on the same team makes no sense to me.

Folty is a starter unless by some miracle we are making a run and they need him there. This is Folty's year to either declare himself a starter or a reliever. I'm hoping starter and then trade to the Rockies.

I'm hopeful we can get some good assets in the trade market for some Aybar, Johnson, Norris, Chacin, Stubbs, Pierzynski, KJ, and Markakis. We have the money to pay their way this year, so that could maximize their value. I know some will laugh at those names (Aybar for ex) but this staff turned Alberto Cayaspo (spelling?) into useful pieces.
    Purely a guess, but I'm assuming no news is good news - maybe rico might be able to investigate. His initial timeline was May, so June would allow plenty of time to take it slow with him if need be.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I don't think you will see a lot of the young guys until September since you have to be thinking about years 5 & 6 of the arby control. There is no need to rush them when you have a team that isn't going anywhere.

Plus, do you really want Freddie managing these young ego's?
    True.. he needs to focus on hitting and playing 1st..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Mid-May is what they were saying in ST. No news since then. I could see them putting him on the 60-day DL at some point if they need to open a 40-man spot. That would mean he can't join the big club until first week of June.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Right now the thing I'm most excited about is that Ruiz is making such a good showing at Gwinnett.

For all of our massive prospect haul in the last 18 months, I was starting to feel pretty discouraged about the lack of position players who were close to the bigs. His margins would go along way towards turning that frown upside down.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-20-2016), jpx7 (04-21-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Purely a guess, but I'm assuming no news is good news - maybe rico might be able to investigate. His initial timeline was May, so June would allow plenty of time to take it slow with him if need be.
    Generally, news does not flow from extended spring training, which is where Simmons is. The first annoncement we'll hear is when he is assigned a rehab start/appearance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Same here. We may get a dominant relief guy, but give him the opportunity to be a dominant SP beforehand. He's young and we have NO reason to bring him up in another capacity yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Right now the thing I'm most excited about is that Ruiz is making such a good showing at Gwinnett.

For all of our massive prospect haul in the last 18 months, I was starting to feel pretty discouraged about the lack of position players who were close to the bigs. His margins would go along way towards turning that frown upside down.
    Yeah, I was getting really bogged down in the Gattis trade. I loved our return, but I was afraid none of them would pan out. They still may not, BUT Ruiz looks much better. He's taking walks, getting big hits and finding ways to get on base. His defense looks much improved as well. He's a big guy in this lineup moving forward - him and Riley both... (or one for a trade if the other pans out)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Some data to ponder regarding Rio Ruiz:

Walk rate: 12.9% in 2015 and 8.0% in 2016

Strikeout rate: 19.2% in 2015 and 24.0% in 2016

BABIP: .288 in 2015 and .455 in 2016

27. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-21-2016)