Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4/21 MINORS FINAL THURSDAY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Could it be that albies has many more professional ab's than Swanson?
    Swanson played for a very good college program in a very competitive college league. It is not quite as good for a player's development as being in the pros but it is not far behind. But Albies is three years younger. Think about that. This is not a knock on Swanson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    we wouldn't have Swanson if we still had Heywood.. I think that is why he left him out.

Then Castro/Peterson at second. That's as good defensively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Three year age difference and one year difference in level of play. The Braves are the ones who decided which one should go to AA and which one should go to High A.

Albies in AA: .357/.419/.464 Youngest player in league by a wide margin.

Swanson in High A: .333/.406/.474

I like Swanson, but I don't think there is much doubt which one is the better prospect.
    Oh, I meant Acuna vs Swanson.
    I agree on Albies > Swanson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Rio Ruiz is showing very good defense at 3B and his bat has really popped so far this year. I think Ruiz could be in play to be the 3B in 2017. I don't think he gets brought up this year unless it is late just to get a few at bats. I think they leave him in AAA for the whole year.

The reinforcements are on the way. Rio at 3B along with Ozzie and Dansby at SS/2B in some order. That's three above average defensive players who can hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Oh, I meant Acuna vs Swanson.
    I agree on Albies > Swanson.
    oh ok. Acuna vs Swanson is very speculative on my part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Rio Ruiz is showing very good defense at 3B and his bat has really popped so far this year. I think Ruiz could be in play to be the 3B in 2017. I don't think he gets brought up this year unless it is late just to get a few at bats. I think they leave him in AAA for the whole year.

The reinforcements are on the way. Rio at 3B along with Ozzie and Dansby at SS/2B in some order. That's three above average defensive players who can hit.
    I could actually see Ruiz being brought up if he continues to easily handle AAA. However, I think the FO will be looking for his K rate to come down a good bit moving forward.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Three year age difference and one year difference in level of play. The Braves are the ones who decided which one should go to AA and which one should go to High A.

Albies in AA: .357/.419/.464 Youngest player in league by a wide margin.

Swanson in High A: .333/.406/.474

I like Swanson, but I don't think there is much doubt which one is the better prospect.
    Considering essentially every prospect-ranking service has Swanson ahead of Albies, I think there is some doubt.

I don't really care who people have ahead of the other or which one ultimately is better because they're both going to be really good and that's awesome for the Braves. But to say Albies is the best prospect in baseball, to me, is a bit of an overstatement, and it just comes down to ultimate ceiling.

Albies has about as high a floor for a 19-year-old kid as I've ever seen...but I don't think his ceiling is as high as some other prospects, including possibly Swanson. If everything goes right, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, and really good baserunning. That is a great baseball player. But I think if everything goes right for Swanson, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, really good baserunning...and some power. That's the only real difference I see, and it may not ultimately matter.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post

If Garcia continues to do his stellar Pele imitation at 3B and Ruiz continues to hit in Gwinnett, I can envision a scenario where Ruiz would be here sooner as opposed to later.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Considering essentially every prospect-ranking service has Swanson ahead of Albies, I think there is some doubt.

I don't really care who people have ahead of the other or which one ultimately is better because they're both going to be really good and that's awesome for the Braves. But to say Albies is the best prospect in baseball, to me, is a bit of an overstatement, and it just comes down to ultimate ceiling.

Albies has about as high a floor for a 19-year-old kid as I've ever seen...but I don't think his ceiling is as high as some other prospects, including possibly Swanson. If everything goes right, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, and really good baserunning. That is a great baseball player. But I think if everything goes right for Swanson, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, really good baserunning...and some power. That's the only real difference I see, and it may not ultimately matter.
    I strongly suspect that the Braves intended for Swanson to be ahead of Albies before spring training. They got a good look at the two side by side, in games and practices, every day in February and March and made a decision to send Albies to AA and Swanson to High A.

We should consider for a minute how accelerated Albies is. He skipped the DSL, sailed though the GCL and Apply League at 17, skipped High A and is killing it in AA at 19. Andruw is the only prospect I can think of who has followed a similar path, and even he started his age 19 year in High A. Of course, Andruw finished that season playing in the World Series, which won't happen with Albies.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Is he thought of a future mlb guy?
    I think of guys like Williams Perez when I try to project Barker. Although their stat profiles are different, they are both guys who have flown below the radar but performed well as they moved up the minor league line. This is only Barker's third professional season, so he's really put it in gear, even for a mid-round college draftee. Can't argue with what he's done thus far this season and he may move up to AAA as other guys are shuffled around provided he continues to perform well. GO/AO ratio is of some concern.

On Albies v. Swanson, aluminum may have something to do with the placement decision.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    So you think Albies is the future SS?
    I do.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    We've been blessed with the best defender in rf, SS, and cf over the years. Do we have any elite defenders on the farm now?
    Whichever of Albies or Swanson winds up at 2B will certainly be elite when the decision is made. I asked J. J. Cooper when he was discussing BA's positional rankings if they'd have been #2 on the 2B list ahead of Peraza and he said yes and it really wouldn't even be that close.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    For those of you fools that are drooling over Albies, remember it wasn't too long ago Peraza was appointed the chosen one and was going to lead this team at the top of the order and at shortstop, and where is he now?

Best prospect in baseball? Really, some of you believe that? The guy has no power. Andruw Jones was a top propsect in the game, same can be said of Kris Bryant, or Bryce Harper, or Chipper Jones....but for someone that is a cross between Jesse Garcia and Elvis Andrus, that's not top prospect elite status. And that means nothing, at one time Wilson Betemit was one of the elite, and he was nothing more than a solid role player with a few good seasons at the MLB level. Marte was a top prospect in our system, and dumped a steaming pile of poo on the diamond once he hit the bigs.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 04-22-2016 at 01:06 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I strongly suspect that the Braves intended for Swanson to be ahead of Albies before spring training. They got a good look at the two side by side, in games and practices, every day in February and March and made a decision to send Albies to AA and Swanson to High A.

We should consider for a minute how accelerated Albies is. He skipped the DSL, sailed though the GCL and Apply League at 17, skipped High A and is killing it in AA at 19. Andruw is the only prospect I can think of who has followed a similar path, and even he started his age 19 year in High A. Of course, Andruw finished that season playing in the World Series, which won't happen with Albies.
    I love Albies, I don't want this to come across as some kind of knock on him. I think he and Swanson both are fantastic prospects.

And what Albies is doing at such a young age is incredibly impressive. But there is still a ceiling for every play, and the lack of size and power will limit his to some degree. Again, this doesn't mean he can't be a great major league player, but it is something to consider. Andruw had it all, while Albies has most of it. I mean, some of this is splitting hairs and I feel stupid for even saying any of it. My point is simply that the fact that Albies is ahead of Swanson despite being 3 years younger is very impressive and a great sign for him...but doesn't necessarily mean he's definitely the better prospect with a higher ceiling.

I just think we're reading too much into the 'jumped Swanson' stuff. Sometimes decisions like that come down simply to each guy individually and what they're likely to take mentally from these decisions. We have no idea what went into it, but regardless, they're both likely going to be really good major leaguers.
    Last edited by smootness; 04-22-2016 at 01:25 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    For those of you fools that are drooling over Albies, remember it wasn't too long ago Peraza was appointed the chosen one and was going to lead this team at the top of the order and at shortstop, and where is he now?

Best prospect in baseball? Really, some of you believe that? The guy has no power. Andruw Jones was a top propsect in the game, same can be said of Kris Bryant, or Bryce Harper, or Chipper Jones....but for someone that is a cross between Jesse Garcia and Elvis Andrus, that's not top prospect elite status. And that means nothing, at one time Wilson Betemit was one of the elite, and he was nothing more than a solid role player with a few good seasons at the MLB level. Marte was a top prospect in our system, and dumped a steaming pile of poo on the diamond once he hit the bigs.
    Why don't you just crap on our dreams sir?!!!

Prospects fail. Yes. Albies could but he looks really good and to skip levels and Dansby at his age deserves some hype. And yes. I'm a fool. I've followed him since his first AB in Rome and once at the Disney complex. I thought he was the water boy/bat boy. But alas,he's good!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (04-22-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Cool, thanks. You've just listed the definition of 'prospect'.

And giant lulz on your Jesse Garcia comment. And Albies has a much better bat than Andrus ever showed. Even if he is Andrus, I'll take close to 20 WAR over Albies' first 4 seasons. Sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I liked Peraza. But there are objective reasons to have a higher opinion of Albies. He excelled in Rome at 18, while Peraza did so a year older. Generally he is playing at a higher level taking age into account. Comparing the Rome numbers, Albies also has an edge in walk rate and ISO (even while being a year younger).

Peraza btw is doing very well as a washed up 22 year old in AAA. Well he hasn't quite turned 22 yet. But he is old. And washed up. And a bust already with three teams.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    And Heyward in right.

It is likely that that kind of defense would make a staff of league average starters look like a staff of aces.
    True, but we'd not have Inciarte nor Swanson if we still had Heyward since we traded Miller for them and Blair after trading Heyward in the deal for Miller. As much as I liked Heyward, I must say Inciarte, Swanson, Blair are worth losing him. However, I am afraid the Braves brass won't value Inciarte as they should. One reason Heyward wasn't locked up IMO is because the Braves don't value defense like that, and same goes for the Simmons trade too.