Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official: Aaron Blair being recalled to make his first MLB start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

It's official: Aaron Blair being recalled to make his first MLB start

Marksberry goes down to make room for Blair.

Fredi broke the news in his press conference, not that it wasn't obvious to most by now.

@Braves 12m12 minutes ago
    RHP Aaron Blair (@A_Blair19) will make his Major League debut for the Braves on Sunday vs. Mets. LHP Matt Marksberry optioned to Gwinnett.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-23-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Poor, short sighted move to bring him up now and allow him to gain super 2 status. All we would have to do is wait roughly 2 more weeks, 3 tops, to keep that from happening. So in essence, should Blair stay up the rest of the year, we will end up paying him several more million the last 4 years of team control than had we just waited a few more days. Two more weeks of Blair in a lost year is most definitely not worth millions of dollars down the road.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-23-2016), buck75 (04-24-2016), clvclv (04-24-2016), Garmel (04-23-2016), Hawk (04-24-2016), Horsehide Harry (04-24-2016), jpx7 (04-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Poor, short sighted move to bring him up now and allow him to gain super 2 status. All we would have to do is wait roughly 2 more weeks, 3 tops, to keep that from happening. So in essence, should Blair stay up the rest of the year, we will end up paying him several more million the last 4 years of team control than had we just waited a few more days. Two more weeks of Blair in a lost year is most definitely not worth millions of dollars down the road.
    Heavy steps man or smart ass DOB will have a talk with ya:

@DOBrienAJC
    Those complaining about possibility of #Braves calling up Blair cuz of Super2, please don't ever complain about ATL losing again in '16, OK?
    --

That said, DOB response means nothing to me because not losing 100 games means nothing to me. If you're going to rebuild and lose, I want the best pick in the draft for losing or at least close to it. I don't support the half-way rebuild mindset, either rebuild or try to make the playoffs. That way you get better draft picks and have a shot to be good again faster.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-23-2016 at 10:40 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    I'm all for having guys like Blair and mallex up. Let them play and learn at the major league level that way our relevant games will get here sooner rather than later
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    As MLBTR notes: "Should Blair remain on Atlanta’s roster for the rest of the season, he’ll gain 159 days of service time and be well on pace to earn an extra year of arbitration eligibility as a Super Two player. Over the last seven seasons, the Super Two cutoff point hasn’t been any higher than two years and 146 days. It isn’t yet clear if Blair will just be up for a spot start and then ahead back to Triple-A (a la Blake Snell’s start for the Rays today), or if the Braves want to take a longer look at their prized young arm."

I am fine with giving Blair a spot start a la Blake Snell, but I'd send him back for a few more weeks because if he just spends a few more weeks in the minors it will save us millions and he's so good I'd have to consider that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Heavy steps man or smart ass DOB will have a talk with ya:

@DOBrienAJC
    Those complaining about possibility of #Braves calling up Blair cuz of Super2, please don't ever complain about ATL losing again in '16, OK?
    --

That said, DOB response means nothing to me because not losing 100 games means nothing to me. If you're going to rebuild and lose, I want the best pick in the draft for losing or at least close to it. I don't support the half-way rebuild mindset, either rebuild or try to make the playoffs. That way you get better draft picks and have a shot to be good again faster.
    I 100% agree with DOB, especially consider his point of view. He has to cover the team every single day and he's inundated with tweets, emails, comments, etc. and I'm sure it's frustrating for him to listen to people complain about how bad the team is, then complain when the team makes an obvious move to improve itself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I don't think every decision in baseball should be about maximizing payroll efficiency. Sometimes I think a team should create a system for young players where they are rewarded for good performance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

smootness (04-25-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't think every decision in baseball should be about maximizing payroll efficiency. Sometimes I think a team should create a system for young players where they are rewarded for good performance.
    The Braves have created a system where you are rewarded by being traded to another team.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-24-2016), jpx7 (04-24-2016), The Chosen One (04-24-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I 100% agree with DOB, especially consider his point of view. He has to cover the team every single day and he's inundated with tweets, emails, comments, etc. and I'm sure it's frustrating for him to listen to people complain about how bad the team is, then complain when the team makes an obvious move to improve itself.

The public as a whole is stupid. So yeah they are going to complain about how bad the team sucks and also how it's not a smart baseball move to keep him him all year. I would think DOB understands this. Given the the past and the likely future, the Braves are a mid payroll team. They have to operate like one and if Blair is thought to be a future piece then he should not gain super 2 status this year. It's not the same as when Heyward was brought in right out of the gate and they didn't even gain an extra year out of him. While that proved to be a bad move (imo) you can at least defend it that the Braves were good and needed Heyward all year to make the playoffs. The Braves don't need Blair up all year and the more losses this team has is actually better for the organization.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-24-2016), clvclv (04-24-2016), Horsehide Harry (04-24-2016), skillet (04-24-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    When you are winning or close to winning, then payroll considerations should be minimized. But, this team isn't going anywhere, with or without Blair, not this year and likely not next year. If he ends up a super two it could cost the Braves several million dollars more AND put Blair in a position where he could be traded because of cost. Not to mention that if he comes up and stays up he'll be managed by the Cuban jockey for the rest of the year.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-24-2016), skillet (04-24-2016), thewupk (04-24-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The public as a whole is stupid.
    Except for us.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-24-2016), clvclv (04-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The public as a whole is stupid. So yeah they are going to complain about how bad the team sucks and also how it's not a smart baseball move to keep him him all year. I would think DOB understands this. Given the the past and the likely future, the Braves are a mid payroll team. They have to operate like one and if Blair is thought to be a future piece then he should not gain super 2 status this year. It's not the same as when Heyward was brought in right out of the gate and they didn't even gain an extra year out of him. While that proved to be a bad move (imo) you can at least defend it that the Braves were good and needed Heyward all year to make the playoffs. The Braves don't need Blair up all year and the more losses this team has is actually better for the organization.
    The FO expects to have a competitive team this year. They have said this many times.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The FO expects to have a competitive team this year. They have said this many times.
    Hahhahahhahahahahaaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Hahhahahhahahahahaaha
    Not that any of it has a shred of credibility. But that HAS been the spin fed to the fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Not that any of it has a shred of credibility. But that HAS been the spin fed to the fans.
    Hopefully they said that to justify firing Fredi after this season

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Fredi gives Blair no help in having AJP catch him in his debut.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-24-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Sure that makes sense, but doesn't that seem a little like putting the cart in front of the horse? A lot has to go right for him to gain super 2 status this year.

Everything you said makes logical sense. I simply just disagree. Maybe in 2018 I'll be mad mad that they made this move when it costs us a couple of million and maybe next June when we have the 2nd pick instead of the 1st. I guess I just don't watch sports the same way as others on this board.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    When you are winning or close to winning, then payroll considerations should be minimized. But, this team isn't going anywhere, with or without Blair, not this year and likely not next year. If he ends up a super two it could cost the Braves several million dollars more AND put Blair in a position where he could be traded because of cost. Not to mention that if he comes up and stays up he'll be managed by the Cuban jockey for the rest of the year.
    If we are worried about Blair being traded in 5 years because his arbitration number is too high then we have much bigger problems than his call up date being a couple weeks early.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm with clv on this one. It just reads undisciplined, and that's not really something we can afford. Unlike the last time we built a contender from scratch, we have significant payroll constraints.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-24-2016), Garmel (04-24-2016), jpx7 (04-24-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Yeah......lol