Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GDT 4/24 MINORS THREAD: SO MUCH PITCHING, SO LITTLE DEFENSE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    More or less frustrating than watching Heyward hit?
    WAY less for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    WAY less for me.
    Watching Jason Heyward hit was frustrating to me because I knew he had so much more in him that what he has shown.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    More or less frustrating than watching Heyward hit?
    Simmons was always more frustrating for me to watch hit. Heyward has some tics to his swing, but his approach has always been good. Simmons looks to have no idea except to swing hard.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Simmons was always more frustrating for me to watch hit. Heyward has some tics to his swing, but his approach has always been good. Simmons looks to have no idea except to swing hard.
    Simmons was far more frustrating. He obviously has a ton of hand eye coordination, he rarely struck out.. but his swing was sooo bad that he either rolled over weakly or popped it up on the infield. He has the potential to be a .300 hitter. And my complete lack of faith in Kevin (let me completely change your swing) Sucker, I think he will one day realize that potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    yes, I believe he was asking me facetiously. because if you didn't know, unless you think Heyward is a superstar and a dynamic hitter, you obviously think he's a bum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Simmons was far more frustrating. He obviously has a ton of hand eye coordination, he rarely struck out.. but his swing was sooo bad that he either rolled over weakly or popped it up on the infield. He has the potential to be a .300 hitter. And my complete lack of faith in Kevin (let me completely change your swing) Sucker, I think he will one day realize that potential.
    If Simmons becomes a .280-.300 hitter, I will cry. He would probably be a top 5 most valuable position player ever lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    IMO, the biggest thing with Newcomb is the high strikeout rate, which is excellent. That at least shows that he's (1) staying around the plate enough and (2) his stuff is excellent. While his walks are high, they aren't any higher than some of the other big time arms. Some pitchers simply benefit from pitching in the big leagues where it's harder to lose focus in games, improved pitch framing (well, not with AJ, but you know what I mean), and better umpires.

Also keep in mind that with strikeout pitchers they are by definition not inducing as much contact early in the count, so they are going to have deeper counts with hitters. The last thing great pitchers learn is to maintain high strikeout rates while limiting pitch count and walks. Hopefully, Newk can learn that.