Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts

2016 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

It's that time. NFL Draft starts Thursday night. Figured as good a time as any to get the discussion started. A question to get it going: If you're the Rams, who you taking with the first pick, Goff or Wentz?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Gotta take Goff. Wentz is to big of a project guy. Reminds me a lot of Blaine Gabbert.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Probably Goff . I've seen Wentz play A good bit and doesn't get you beat. He's really solid.
    Ivermectin Man

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It would have to be Goff. But, I still think these two guys going 1/2 is lunacy. This draft is so loaded and you have the top 2 picks only going 1/2 because they are QBs.

I'm not super impressed watching Goff, but maybe it was the talent around him? Every game I turned on, his team was getting killed.

Wentz is an FCS QB that played in a run first system. He only had 600 passing attempts his whole college career.

I simply cant believe both teams would give up picks in this loaded draft to move up when you could sit back and get Hack or Lynch; both, IMO, could be the top 2 QBs in the draft. The Rams moving up made more sense than the Eagles doing it though. Maybe it works out, just seems stupid and way too risky. Wentz reminds me of Alex Smith
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (04-27-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Agreed with giles. Seems insane that teams would mortgage their future in order to get Goff and Wentz. I am not even sure either is the best quarterback in the class.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Where does everyone think Ndemkiche will end up going and in what round?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Agreed with giles. Seems insane that teams would mortgage their future in order to get Goff and Wentz. I am not even sure either is the best quarterback in the class.
    Best right now? no but Wentz has the most upside.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I keep seeing this, but I don't get this statement. This isn't baseball where upsides between two star players of the same position can be drastically different (like say Simmons ane Tulowitzki for example). If both QB's reach their max potential, then both guys are perennial pro-bowl, franchise QBs, putting up similar stats on a yearly basis.
    Last edited by Carp; 04-27-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

Yes best from day one. Both have huge question marks about their offensive system or the lack of competition they played against.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Yes best from day one. Both have huge question marks about their offensive system or the lack of competition they played against.
    True but it seems like a decent percent of NFL qb's aren't from power 5 schools. Wasn't Romo from a d2 school like Wentz?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Where does everyone think Ndemkiche will end up going and in what round?
    I'd say somewhere between the Falcons at #17 and the Bengals at #24. Some off field concerns are causing him to drop more than he should.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Philly fans? Since 1993, five quarterbacks have been taken with the No. 2 overall pick. Marcus Mariota, Robert Griffin, Donovan McNabb, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer.

– Tell me some guy named Carson Wentz from North Dakota State doesn’t just beg to be on that list ten years from now in a unflattering light.

– By the way, the No. 1 respective picks in the drafts when those QBs went No. 2? Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe.

– Sleep well, Los Angeles fans.

– Except that the one quarterback on that list who missed was a system guy in a pass-happy offense. That doesn’t sound familiar at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    NDSU wasn't really pass happy, were they?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    NDSU wasn't really pass happy, were they?
    No. They were a run heavy offense.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Falcons are seemingly mocked by most to get Lee, I really don't want him. He's a small linebacker which is something that I think Quinn will like for his athletic ability, but he's not worth it at 16th pick, I'd rather get Lawson or Treadwell there. Though Treadwell is superfluous with Sanu.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Philly fans? Since 1993, five quarterbacks have been taken with the No. 2 overall pick. Marcus Mariota, Robert Griffin, Donovan McNabb, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer.

– Tell me some guy named Carson Wentz from North Dakota State doesn’t just beg to be on that list ten years from now in a unflattering light.

– By the way, the No. 1 respective picks in the drafts when those QBs went No. 2? Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe.

– Sleep well, Los Angeles fans.

– Except that the one quarterback on that list who missed was a system guy in a pass-happy offense. That doesn’t sound familiar at all.
    Well, 1993 is an odd cutoff, 1994 would be more appropriate as it was when salary cap was introduced, or 95 with the last big expansion of Jacksonville and Carolina (2 other temas were added later but in separate years)

Keep it simple, since expansion number 2 pick has produced 2 good QBs (though Mariota and honestly RG3 have time to be effective) McNabb and Archie Manning, but the majority of that has to do with oftentimes the number 2 pick QB is the second best in his class. In the case of McNabb he was much better than Couch in his career, but that's rare. Typically QBs taken later in the draft are QBs with concerns and questions. Lets look at some of the 2nd round and later picks that really worked out.

Drew Brees - Taken second round pick one in 2001, Mike Vick was number 1 QB taken. NOt hard to see why that was the case, Vick is the most athletic person I've ever witnessed play the game. Mentally he was a failure, but even Brees took a long time to come in his own and didn't hit his level until getting into Payton's system.

Tom Brady - Taken in the 6th round of the 2000 draft, 2000 was an incredibly weak QB class. First QB taken off the board was Chad Pennington at 16. Only other QB then those 2 who would go on to do anything was Marc Bulger who had a nice short career in St. Louis. Brady was hurt in college because he wasn't a fulltime started until 98 and 99 seasons. Most college QBs start 3 or more so some knocked him for that. And he didn't have any skills that wowed. He had that it factor though. That's not something you can scout ro witness until they get to the NFL, you can guess if someone has it but you'll never know until they're in the fire.

Russell Wilson - Part of a stacked NFL QB draft also featuring Luck and RG3 as some of the most talented players to come out in a long time. Wilson's size and lack of pure arm strength hurt him. But the combination of his mental strength and the right system have proven highly beneficial for him. If Osweiler and Cousins amount to starting NFL QBs, the 2012 NFL draft will be one of the best QB draft classes ever.

Tony ROmo - Went undrafted, 2003 he should have been drafted, maybe similar to Brady. Romo was hurt by a few things, first being his college and second beng how raw he was. Only really 2 strong QB prospects in 2003 draft though should have seen Romo in the 6th or 7th round. Anyway, a flawed prospect.

Quarterbacking in the NFL is very hard, you have to do a job surveying the field reading all 11 players on the defense and their relation to your targets and only have about 3 seconds you can guarantee safety. It's the most coveted position for that reason. Why else would Sam Bradford get paid what he did? Because even being average holds a lot of value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    True but it seems like a decent percent of NFL qb's aren't from power 5 schools. Wasn't Romo from a d2 school like Wentz?
    Most power schools utilize game manager QBs, Bama being a great example of that. Or they'll use gifted athletes like Tebow or other runners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    My best guess so far.

Rams - Goff
    Eagles - Wentz
    Chargers - Buckner
    Cowboys - Ramsey
    Jaguars - Bosa
    Ravens - Tunsil - probably trade down with Titans
    49'ers - Stanley
    Browns - Elliot
    Giants - Conklin
    Bucs - Floyd
    Bears - Hargreave
    Saints - Lawson
    Dolphins - Jackson III
    Raiders - Jack
    Ravens - Nkemdiche
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Lot of beat writers saying the Falcons want to trade back, grab Henry, or Keanu Neal. Don't think either is mid first round material but at the top of the 2nd end of first ... Yeah.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Not the Cowboys biggest need, but Elliott is a heck of a player and a talent like that is hard to pass up.