Results 14,101 to 14,120 of 14912

Thread: NBA Thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You mean coaches think there teams got shafted on calls? How often would that even happen?

Please explain how guys can pre determine whether they make shots or not. That is an interesting concept.
    I've never known a coach, who even after his team was totally shellacked, didn't point out that somehow the officials didn't do their job correctly.

One thing I've been thinking about (and this certainly isn't in the "rigged" department) is if Draymond Green had been suspended after multiple groin shots against OKC, the Warriors probably aren't playing in the finals. I don't watch much hoops anymore, but every time I see a highlight film on ESPN of a Warriors' game, it usually includes some hijinks by Green. Could have fit right in with the late-1980s Pistons.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You mean coaches think there teams got shafted on calls? How often would that even happen?

Please explain how guys can pre determine whether they make shots or not. That is an interesting concept.
    Where have I ever said that players predetermine if they make a shot or not. Point shaving isn't some made up thing, but I digress this isn't about the players. It's about league officials who have predetermined desired outcomes and the referees who help aid in that outcome. The players are there for a mere entertainment value and to keep things interesting. Not every game is fixed, but most playoff games probably are. The bigger the stakes the more amount of bets there are. When there is money to be had there will be foul play. Humans are greedy by nature. Las Vegas is the main culprit since they control basically the entire sports industry.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Yet the money was on Golden State, and you haven't presented any evidence to back up your claim, nor explained how thousands of people involved never crack, blow the whistle or get drunk and blab to their friends about this vast conspiracy.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Great series, happy for LeBron, best of all time.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Great series, happy for LeBron, best of all time.
    Still not there yet. Best since Michael for sure. But for my money he's behind at least Michael still, and probably guys like Karim and WIlt as well. How his career ends will be important.

That being said, Lebron's block is gonna be a massively replayed highlight for a long time. Up there with Jordan's buzzerbeater.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I was a kid during the Jordan years so I didn't appreciate defense/passing as much as I do today... so I can't remember if Jordan was as good of an all-around player has Lebron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I was a kid during the Jordan years so I didn't appreciate defense/passing as much as I do today... so I can't remember if Jordan was as good of an all-around player has Lebron
    No, but he's a far superior offensive player.

Not that Jordan was a slouch in the defense and passing game, but there's a reason Magic is a more apt comparison to Lebron than MJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Jordan was smaller, but a really good defender. If he wanted to, he could lock down any player (not a center obviously), but he didn't need to because he had Scottie on the team who was the designated defender.

LeBron can't create instant offense, like Jordan could. MJ was a pure shooter. You see Bron trying to create points at the end in isolation, and he ends up missing more than making. MJ was the one guy you didn't want to be stuck guarding 1 on 1. I think you have a decent chance of guarding LBJ 1 on 1 naer the arch.

Bron has guarded centers like Howard man up, but we haven't had many big men in the league like Howard, like there was in MJ's day.

I'd say LBJ is a more versatile defender, guarding all 1-5 positions. He's had to guard more because other than having Battier, he hasn't had a really good lock down defender and even then he was still better than Battier. Pippen's defense allowed MJ to only worry about offense.

LeBron is obviously a better passer with more vision, which is why he gets the Magic comparisons. He also can play all 5 positions if needed, which is something Magic was known for.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Watching that live, I literally said "HOLY ****".

I've never been an LBJ fan, but as a bball fan that was probably one of the most beautiful plays I've ever seen in any sport.

That was definitely a bigger play than the Irving 3 IMO, it took the energy out of the crowd in Oracle.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Some talk on the radio last night of a possible Kevin Love-Paul Milsap swap. I wouldn't do that for one second if I were Atlanta unless there was a lot more involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Jordan was smaller, but a really good defender. If he wanted to, he could lock down any player (not a center obviously), but he didn't need to because he had Scottie on the team who was the designated defender.

LeBron can't create instant offense, like Jordan could. MJ was a pure shooter. You see Bron trying to create points at the end in isolation, and he ends up missing more than making. MJ was the one guy you didn't want to be stuck guarding 1 on 1. I think you have a decent chance of guarding LBJ 1 on 1 naer the arch.

Bron has guarded centers like Howard man up, but we haven't had many big men in the league like Howard, like there was in MJ's day.

I'd say LBJ is a more versatile defender, guarding all 1-5 positions. He's had to guard more because other than having Battier, he hasn't had a really good lock down defender and even then he was still better than Battier. Pippen's defense allowed MJ to only worry about offense.

LeBron is obviously a better passer with more vision, which is why he gets the Magic comparisons. He also can play all 5 positions if needed, which is something Magic was known for.
    Lebron can score at will as well. He's not as good of a shooter as Jordan though. Thing about the 2 is Lebron is a total player. Jordan was a total player. But Lebron is a total player at 6'8 250 while Jordan played at 6-6 195. Jordan never had Lebron's strength. But he was a superior talent. If you were to use a modern comparison in a different sport, Lebron is Cristiano Ronaldo and Jordan is Leo Messi.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Lebron can score at will as well. He's not as good of a shooter as Jordan though.
    He's not as good of a shooter as Jordan was, thus he can't score at will.

If you watched the end of the 4th, he was throwing up just as many bricks as Steph was but 1 or 2 actually fell in.

He goes iso a lot, and tries to score but isn't as good as Jordan was in iso.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Jeff Teague to Indy, Hill to Utah, Atl gets the 12 pick.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    He's not as good of a shooter as Jordan was, thus he can't score at will.

If you watched the end of the 4th, he was throwing up just as many bricks as Steph was but 1 or 2 actually fell in.

He goes iso a lot, and tries to score but isn't as good as Jordan was in iso.
    Lebron can pretty much score at will and not being as good a shooter as Jordan doesn't mean he can't.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Derrick Rose to Knicks
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jeff Teague to Indy, Hill to Utah, Atl gets the 12 pick.
    Very excited as a Jazz fan.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Hope the Hawks have something much more grand in mind.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Game has changed a lot so it's difficult to compare across eras. I think LeBron's game resembles Larry Bird's to a great extent except that LeBron is a better athlete and defensive player. But on the offensive side of the ledger, those two are quite a bit alike in that they move all over the court and aren't afraid to pass the ball. LeBron is a bit more dynamic, but that's due to the difference in athleticism. Bird had unbelievable court sense.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Ready to put LeBron ahead of Kobe in tier list.
    Forever Fredi