Thread: Thoughts on Minor League Promotions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Thoughts on Minor League Promotions

There are two sets of players who seem likely to be promoted in the next two months:

1) Albies and Swanson are both doing what it takes to move up to the next level. I think it makes sense to move both one level, which would allow them to continue playing short full-time.

2) Among starting pitchers, Max Povse has made a very strong case for a promotion to Mississippi. I would promote Patrick Weigel from Rome to take his place in the Carolina rotation. Among the guys in AA, Brandon Barker has made a good case for moving up. But right now the Gwinnett rotation has Foltynevich, Baby Harang, Sims, Gant and Jenkins. If an opening comes up, Barker would be my choice from AA.

In terms of service time management, I would not call up either Albies or Swanson to the majors this year. And I would start them both in AAA next year and bring them up at some point in 2017.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    two other positional choices are

Jonathan Morales C/DH -- age21 currently in A.. .338/.357/.492 OPS .849 2 HR and 15 RBI -- we need to see what we have here

Ray Patrick Kidder SS/OF-- age 21 currently in A-- mostly OF .. .333/.437/.533 OPS .970 4SB 2 CS.. 6 2B and 3 3B...

Of course they need to continue the good work.. but I see them moving up in late May early June.. actually Morales maybe sooner.. he has been killing it these last seven days.. OPS 1.168 (when they moved him from #2 to cleanup)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016), Hudson2 (04-27-2016), JohnAdcox (04-27-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    two other positional choices are

Jonathan Morales C/DH -- age21 currently in A.. .338/.357/.492 OPS .849 2 HR and 15 RBI -- we need to see what we have here

Ray Patrick Kidder SS/OF-- age 21 currently in A-- mostly OF .. .333/.437/.533 OPS .970 4SB 2 CS.. 6 2B and 3 3B...

Of course they need to continue the good work.. but I see them moving up in late May early June.. actually Morales maybe sooner.. he has been killing it these last seven days.. OPS 1.168 (when they moved him from #2 to cleanup)
    A lot will depend on the draft and/or injuries, but I think Didder likely moves up at some juncture. He's in his 4th year and they have to get him in a place where they can get a better handle on his ceiling and development arc. That usually means AA by the year when 40-man roster decisions are made on a guy (at least that's my rule of thumb). I don't think they move Morales up until they are confident in his fielding ability. Swanson will move up at some point, but we don't have a SS to take Swanson's place in Carolina when that happens.

Povse will be in Mississippi shortly. Graham, Minter, and Diaz are all on the Rome DL, so Rome won't lack for guys to slot in behind whoever gets promoted. Could be Wiegel. Could be Belicek. On the other hand, Parsons or Bird could take Povse's place in the rotation. Lots of options.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    A lot will depend on the draft and/or injuries, but I think Didder likely moves up at some juncture. He's in his 4th year and they have to get him in a place where they can get a better handle on his ceiling and development arc. That usually means AA by the year when 40-man roster decisions are made on a guy (at least that's my rule of thumb). I don't think they move Morales up until they are confident in his fielding ability. Swanson will move up at some point, but we don't have a SS to take Swanson's place in Carolina when that happens.

Povse will be in Mississippi shortly. Graham, Minter, and Diaz are all on the Rome DL, so Rome won't lack for guys to slot in behind whoever gets promoted. Could be Wiegel. Could be Belicek. On the other hand, Parsons or Bird could take Povse's place in the rotation. Lots of options.

Luis Valenzuela is a SS on Carolina.. once he comes off the DL, I expect Swanson to move. that being said, I don't know why he is on the DL or for how long. he hasn't played this year but his status is 7 day DL.. I assume he is probably in extended spring, if I had to guess.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016), buck75 (04-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Luis Valenzuela is a SS on Carolina.. once he comes off the DL, I expect Swanson to move. that being said, I don't know why he is on the DL or for how long. he hasn't played this year but his status is 7 day DL.. I assume he is probably in extended spring, if I had to guess.
    Omar Obregon also played some short earlier in his minor league career.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,296 Posts
    I know Albies is killing it in AA, but I would be hesitant in moving him to AAA, so quickly. He's doing a lot really well, but he could still improve his base running. That's not meant as an indictment. I just have never had a problem leaving a guy somewhere where they are having a lot of success. We still should try to keep in the minor leagues until May/June of next year, so he has plenty of time to master AA/AAA.

Swanson, on the other hand, needs to be higher than Carolina. He's already had a ton of experience in the SEC which is comparable to A ball. Obviously that would mean he would be playing with Ozzie, but I do think it makes a degree of sense to allow them to be comfortable playing next to each other.

Povse needs to move up, but I have a feeling they maybe holding off on that until Allard joins Rome to replace the guy who will replace Povse.

As for AAA, I think we may see Sims, Jenkins, and Gant all by July. Sims is obviously the highest ceiling arm among those three, but I'm most excited to see Jenkins. I think he the likliest sleeper amongst all of our prospects. I would hope they hold Ruiz back in AAA for all season.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016), cajunrevenge (04-27-2016), JohnAdcox (04-27-2016), UNCBlue012 (04-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Overlooked Jonathan Morales. He should be moved up.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016), JohnAdcox (04-27-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I know Albies is killing it in AA, but I would be hesitant in moving him to AAA, so quickly. He's doing a lot really well, but he could still improve his base running. That's not meant as an indictment. I just have never had a problem leaving a guy somewhere where they are having a lot of success. We still should try to keep in the minor leagues until May/June of next year, so he has plenty of time to master AA/AAA.

Swanson, on the other hand, needs to be higher than Carolina. He's already had a ton of experience in the SEC which is comparable to A ball. Obviously that would mean he would be playing with Ozzie, but I do think it makes a degree of sense to allow them to be comfortable playing next to each other.

Povse needs to move up, but I have a feeling they maybe holding off on that until Allard joins Rome to replace the guy who will replace Povse.

As for AAA, I think we may see Sims, Jenkins, and Gant all by July. Sims is obviously the highest ceiling arm among those three, but I'm most excited to see Jenkins. I think he the likliest sleeper amongst all of our prospects. I would hope they hold Ruiz back in AAA for all season.

I don't want to see any positional players in Atl this year.. outside of expanded rosters when it doesn't matter.. I think pitchers are going to be moving all over the place though..
    Ellis and Newcomb won't stay in AA all year.. no chance..
    Soroka might move.. but he is only 18.. but right now he is kiiling it too..
    Whalen and Mauricio at 22, I would like to see them move up from AA as well.. but neither have had any control this year..
    Folty will be in Atl. in a few months or sooner..
    Been some talk about Bladimir on these boards.. I have him maybe moving up to High A if he continues his solid work..
    Matt Withrow might move as well.. he is struggling with walks.. but doing well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-27-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think there's a decent chance that Albies, Swanson, and Ruiz are all in the opening day lineup next year, assuming the FO thinks they're ready. They're going to be looking to generate some excitement that's not simply the new stadium. There's also an argument for allowing the new stadium to be its own excitement for the first month, then calling up the young guys for another wave, but I think they'll want to get them up as quickly as they can.

I would move Fried up to Carolina. He hasn't lit Rome on fire, but I would want to show confidence in him and start moving him up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think there's a decent chance that Albies, Swanson, and Ruiz are all in the opening day lineup next year, assuming the FO thinks they're ready. They're going to be looking to generate some excitement that's not simply the new stadium.
    That would be so short sighted.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    In terms of service time/ future control, yes.

Most prospects need a little time to adjust to the big leagues though. The team would be better off getting those guys acclimated to the bigs in a down season as opposed to expecting them to contribute at a playoff contending level right away. We know (and hopefully the Johns agree) that 2017 isn't going to be a playoff year. Let the new high ceiling guys get that adjustment season out of the way next year so that hopefully they can be counted on as major contributors to a contending team in 2018.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    If they show they are ready, what does it matter?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-28-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I care about control. I don't care about super 2. It seems like the plan is going to be to play guys. If they are good in the first couple of years they will have a chance to sign a team friendly extension. If they do not, then they will get traded.

On the Albies/Swanson SS argument. I thought the issue with Albies at SS was his arm. IIRC his arm is fine. Swanson isn't Simmons by any chance but I think most ppl think his arm is better. That is why I thought most ppl had Swanson penciled in at SS. Otherwise you'd assume most would pencil him at 2B b/c he played it in college and has a bigger frame if you wanted him to try and bulk up and add a little more power

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,296 Posts
    Albies has a .906 OPS so far in a league and park that favors pitchers.

Swanson has a .912 OPS so far in a lower league that generally favors hitters.

I like both. But I don't see the argument for promoting Swanson but not Albies. Performance drives 90% of those kinds of decisions.
    Promotions shouldn't be made based on batting lines alone. Swanson starting at A ball was viewed as very conservative based off his SEC experience. Albies starting at AA was viewed as very aggressive. I think the idea of holding Albies back and promoting Swanson has to do with placing both players in an environment where they will be challenged, yet will succeed. Albies is being challenged and exceeding. Swanson is exceeding but he isn't being challenged, IMO.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    DOB was just talking to Scott Braun on XM. Said to expect to see...

1.) Jenkins replace Norris in the rotation in the near future.
    2.) One of Albies' or Swanson's clocks started if Aybar doesn't get his **** together in the very near-future.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

2.) One of Albies' or Swanson's clocks started if Aybar doesn't get his **** together in the very near-future.
    Ugh
    Ivermectin Man

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016), JohnAdcox (04-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Wow, that is moronic...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-27-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Wow, that is moronic...
    This is DOB that we're talking about. :)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    This is DOB that we're talking about. :)
    Fair point, I am hoping that's the case here too.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Dansby is doing well at the plate but needs a lot of work running bases and in the field. He makes way to many mental errors. Some think he is pushing too hard. Not sure if that is that but letting him get better in those areas should be a major focus.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Coach_Chris For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-27-2016)