Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the front office have the cajones to not panic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you're underrating Gant a bit. His stuff has ticked up since we acquired him from the Mets and there has been an accompanying rise in his strikeout rate. He has three good pitches. I think the team should give him every opportunity to develop as a starter.

We have guys like Kelly, Perez and Weber who I have no problem yoyoing around from minors to majors and from the rotation to the pen. I think of Gant more as one of the group that includes Wisler, Blair, Sims, Newcomb and Foltynevich as potential starting pitchers for the major league team. Not all of those guys are equal, but I think we want to give all of them every possible chance to develop as starters.
    I agree with you on Gant, Kelly and Perez but I like Weber's potential more than the latter two. So I'd not give up on him yet as a starter either though it seems they have done so. That Fangraphs fella points about Gant and Weber are not as crazy as they've been made out to be, though his rankings for them were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Weber throws strikes and his stuff is not bad. I think he will have a ML career as a swingman. Ditto for Baby Harang, though his walk rate so far in the majors has been too high. With injury rates for pitchers, it is nice to be able to stash a couple guys like that in the pen or AAA.