Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Fredi will be fired, possibly by end of the road trip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts

Rosenthal: Fredi will be fired, possibly by end of the road trip

If you're looking to get depressed, take this article for a spin. Tough but fair piece. Questions FO decisions as well.

The Braves are 4-17. The season is lost. Manager Fredi Gonzalez will be fired. So much for the final season at Turner Field, which was never all that promising to begin with.

The real question is what the Braves will look like in their first year at the new SunTrust Park next season, and in all the years to follow.

The Braves will gain significant financial flexibility this offseason, thanks to at least $50 million in expiring contracts. Some of their top prospects will be ready for the majors, or close to it, in 2017. Bud Black, or someone like him, could be the new manager.

Here's the problem:

If the Braves failed to properly evaluate this year's roster -- an understatement, the way things are turning out -- who's to say their other evaluations can be trusted?
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/a...polella-042816

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-28-2016), goldfly (04-29-2016), JohnAdcox (04-28-2016), WaitingFor2017 (04-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The question is whether they failed to evaluate this year's roster or let the spin trap them in a corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    With Tosca and Porter being Fredi's guys, I'd guess they'll be the only two assistants to go when it's time for the axe to fall. TP as interim manager and Eddie as bench coach maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The question is whether they failed to evaluate this year's roster or let the spin trap them in a corner.
    Far as I can tell, they were trying to take a step forward to 2017. The second half last year was so bad, I wonder if they thought it would be a softball to field a better team this year by just accumulating 74 RH middle relievers. They decided to pass on investing a little more money for LHRP, 3B, and reserve OF. I'm assuming they regret those decisions now, but who knows.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    With Tosca and Porter being Fredi's guys, I'd guess they'll be the only two assistants to go when it's time for the axe to fall. TP as interim manager and Eddie as bench coach maybe?
    Kinda hope it's the other way around.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-29-2016), FreemanFan (04-28-2016), Hawk (04-29-2016), The Chosen One (04-28-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I think the bullpen's absolute terribleness was a surprise to the FO, but I find it hard to believe that they actually believed the **** they were selling.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Not signing a guy like Freese this offseason was inexcusable. He is a league average player that was sitting there at a bargain rate. He ended up signing for a paltry $3m and is putting up his typical .750+ OPS while playing his typical average defense at 3B.

He is the EXACT kind of late offseason bargain the Braves should have been looking for.

Meanwhile the Braves wasted MLB contracts on guys like Stubbs.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-28-2016), AerchAngel (04-29-2016), Braves1976 (04-28-2016), Dalyn (04-29-2016), goldfly (04-29-2016), Hawk (04-29-2016), JohnAdcox (04-29-2016), jpx7 (04-28-2016), Mrs. Meta (04-29-2016), Ozzie Swanson (04-29-2016), TXBravesFan (04-28-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not signing a guy like Freese this offseason was inexcusable. He is a league average player that was sitting there at a bargain rate. He ended up signing for a paltry $3m and is putting up his typical .750+ OPS while playing his typical average defense at 3B.

He is the EXACT kind of late offseason bargain the Braves should have been looking for.

I wouldn't have blamed that on Fredi though.. :)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-29-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Again I don't put this garbage from this year or last on Fredi, but the garbage from the year before and the September collapses and mismanagement and lack of success in October, along with a lack of passion is on Fredi and the guy needs to GO. He's terrible.

And our play by play announcer has to be next in line to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I think they were saving Fredi for when they needed a scapegoat.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-28-2016), clvclv (04-28-2016), JohnAdcox (04-29-2016), The Chosen One (04-28-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think they were saving Fredi for when they needed a scapegoat.
    I think that's pretty clear.

They gave him a roster of "household names" but names whom were all well past their prime.

They probably know Fredi is a **** manager so they said he can help us achieve the goal of #1 pick.
    Forever Fredi

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-29-2016), JohnAdcox (04-29-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Yet many people felt Norris was a better gamble than someone like Latos who had "Ace" upside. If there's a better example of someone who was a crapshoot and low-risk/high-reward guy than he was (at this point), who is he?

Those late signs typically make just as many front office people look like idiots as they make look like geniuses.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Yet many people felt Norris was a better gamble than someone like Latos who had "Ace" upside. If there's a better example of someone who was a crapshoot and low-risk/high-reward guy than he was (at this point), who is he?

Those late signs typically make just as many front office people look like idiots as they make look like geniuses.
    Agreed. Freese and Latos were the main 2 guys I wanted the Braves to buy low on.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-29-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Agreed. Freese and Latos were the main 2 guys I wanted the Braves to buy low on.
    I really didn't have an issue with the Norris signing. But I wanted Latos badly because of his upside. I only really cared because I was looking for those who might provide a good return at the trade deadline. Freese would have been OK as well at $3M BUT I thought the KJ signing and the Beckham signing probably killed any chance of that.

To me, this goes back to having a realistic vision and plan and sticking to it. If you are going to rebuild, then do it and don't deviate because you get a little negative fan feedback.

I wanted to trade Freeman, Teheran, Aybar, Inciarte and Markakis for (hopefully) a pile (quantity and quality) prospects while clearing payroll. Most everyone either didn't want to trade them at all OR felt that they would be just as valuable or more valuable at the deadline or after the season. Plus they didn't want to see a lost season. To me at least, it was clear from the beginning that it was a lost season so why not maximize your return while you can, if you can. Now, every player on the list above is either worth much less than they were worth 4 months ago or are now just completely untradeable.

My thoughts were you trade Teheran but bring in Latos, Norris (someone like him), Chacin (someone like him), etc., suck for the first half, then hope to trade those guys to add to your pile of prospects at the dealing while bringing up the oldest and best developed minor league guys to audition for the last half of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Wonder what Freese would do hitting in OUR lineup...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Better late than never, I guess. If this had happened after 2011, there is a very real possibility we wouldn't be in this mess right now. At least not as deep.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-29-2016)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Throw Blair, Newbomb, and Sims in the rotation next year. Albies and Swanson should be in the field as well and this club will have plenty going for it next year and going forward. Let's hope they can sign some power and ideally bring in a legit bat in this next draft as well. From there things will be gravy, especially if the international market works out like they hope.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I'm also pretty sure the Braves wanted to be awful this year. So any talk of evaluating one crappy player over another probably misses the point. The number one pick is and should be in their sights. If you're going to be this down, you need to take advantage of it and I think they understand this. If Bud Norris means bringing in the best player in next year's draft, then I'd say these guys have done a fantastic job of evaluating this roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    The rebuild isn't complete. The farm is good, but to complete this the right way and line things up for greatness the next decade, next year's draft is huge and that number one pick could solidify the Braves as the team of the 2020s if things shake out like they could. I'm actually betting the Braves are a wildcard team in 2 years assuming management really does want to build that payroll back up.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-29-2016), JohnAdcox (04-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    The rebuild isn't complete. The farm is good, but to complete this the right way and line things up for greatness the next decade, next year's draft is huge and that number one pick could solidify the Braves as the team of the 2020s if things shake out like they could. I'm actually betting the Braves are a wildcard team in 2 years assuming management really does want to build that payroll back up.
    I think 2019 is realistic. The only reason that's even an issue is that we had the magical 2017 beat into our head by the front office.