Bird 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
    Salazar 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
    McLaughlin (Save, 1) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Swanson 1-3, 2B, R, BB, SB
    Davidson 1-3, R, RBI, BB
    Meneses 2-4

CLASS A

Hagerstown 3, Rome 1

SP: Soroka 7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 6 K (1.33)
    LP: Custred 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Dykstra 2-3, R
    Riley 0-4, RBI
    Last edited by rico43; 04-29-2016 at 11:11 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

BornaBrave (04-30-2016), clvclv (04-29-2016), DaneHill (04-29-2016), Tapate50 (04-30-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The fact that Michael John Graydon Soroka may not have a win before the month of May starts has to qualify as the most shocking story in Braves circles so far this year.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    it kills me that Soroka is 0 -2!!..

Ozzie is hitting .370/.433/.519/.952 and the last 7 days.. .474/.500/.789/1.289

Swanson seems to be struggling the few days.. but when you look at his OBP the last 7 days, it is clear, they are just not pitching to him. he has a .500 OBP the last 7 days.. and .438 overall..

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Soroka's stat line thus far this season is nothing short of amazing: 7.7/1 K:BB, 1.00 WHIP, and 3.11/1 GO/AO. When you consider he has more Ks than IP, it all spells d-e-a-l-i-n-g. Add to all of this he's only 18 and we might have something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

Swanson seems to be struggling the few days.. but when you look at his OBP the last 7 days, it is clear, they are just not pitching to him. he has a .500 OBP the last 7 days.. and .438 overall..
    I feel like you can't be considered struggling when you have a .500 OBP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Soroka's stat line thus far this season is nothing short of amazing: 7.7/1 K:BB, 1.00 WHIP, and 3.11/1 GO/AO. When you consider he has more Ks than IP, it all spells d-e-a-l-i-n-g. Add to all of this he's only 18 and we might have something.
    The two big jumps in the minors are AA and full-season. I think it is a very big deal to see Albies doing what he is in AA and Soroka and Acuna doing so well in their first full-season league at age 18.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-29-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I feel like you can't be considered struggling when you have a .500 OBP.
    that is what I am saying. his average has dipped and he is not making much of an impact this last week.. but he has been walked 5 times in 4 games. I think generally they are just pitching around him and he might be pressing to hit the ball, so he is swinging at garbage.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The two big jumps in the minors are AA and full-season. I think it is a very big deal to see Albies doing what he is in AA and Soroka and Acuna doing so well in their first full-season league at age 18.
    I wonder if there will be temptation to bump Soroka up to Carolina. I don't think I would if I were in charge, but given the fans are becoming increasingly impatient with the whole rebuild thing, it wouldn't surprise me if promotion policy became more aggressive. Of course, it's still early so we don't know if Soroka's performance is going to stay at it current level. I would hold off until the last couple weeks of the season to give him a couple of High A starts provided everything stays on its current course.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I wonder if there will be temptation to bump Soroka up to Carolina. I don't think I would if I were in charge, but given the fans are becoming increasingly impatient with the whole rebuild thing, it wouldn't surprise me if promotion policy became more aggressive. Of course, it's still early so we don't know if Soroka's performance is going to stay at it current level. I would hold off until the last couple weeks of the season to give him a couple of High A starts provided everything stays on its current course.

I wouldn't move too many guys until at least July. no need to over react to a small sample size. Ozzie is about the only guy that is becoming more and more clear he needs to move soon. and even then, I might just let him continue to crush AA for a bit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

He needs to go ahead and be promoted. There is no benefit to him seeing A+ pitchers.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He needs to go ahead and be promoted. There is no benefit to him seeing A+ pitchers.

I think Swanson will be once Luis V. is off the Disabled list. that way Luis can slot into SS and Dansby will move up to AA to replace Ozzie who would move up to AAA..

Gwinnett might be pretty good if Mallex gets sent back down in May and Ozzie is promoted.. then they have Sims/Ellis/Jenkins pitching (yes, I think Ellis moves up when Folty is promoted)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Braves history has been to let their younger prospects stay in low A the wole season. With pitchers there also tends to be a multi year plan for gradually building up how many innings they pitch. My guess is Soroka spends the year in Rome.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Braves history has been to let their younger prospects stay in low A the wole season. With pitchers there also tends to be a multi year plan for gradually building up how many innings they pitch. My guess is Soroka spends the year in Rome.
    I sincerely hope that is how they handle Soroka. And Acuna for that matter. They are on schedule to be in AA before a 40-man decision looms, so unless either of them goes off the charts, I hope they get to keep their feet under them in Rome. It is important to note that the both Andruw and Chipper Jones spent their first full season entirely in Low A. The Braves pushed Klesko more aggressively for some reason (he actually played more games in Low A than the Rookie League the year he was drafted). I realize it's a different time and different guys, but I just don't like force-feeding guys. It may be different with Albies, but I don't want to get ahead of myself with him either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think we should keep Albies in AA when Swanson is promoted. Let them alternate between SS and 2B and see which combination works best. The decision will likely come down to who plays 2B, not who plays SS best...because they seem to play SS equally well.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Everybody is doing well in our system who is highly rated.
    Sims has the most K's in the minors,
    Soroka is dominating A ball hitters (think he should be promoted mid-season to be challenged)
    Chris Ellis is pitching better than expected
    Newcomb is pitching well, but he still needs to fix his control issues
    Swanson is doing Swanson
    Albies is raking- 3rd youngest in AA and has the 3rd highest batting average
    Touki has struggled but his outing yesterday was encouraging
    Acuna is playing well
    Blair pitched well today (in mlb though)
    Riley has been hitting well for the past couple days
    Fried is showing exciting stuff
    Ruiz is crushing in AAA
    Sanchez is pitching well
    and the list continues...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Astudillo finally struck out, but it came on a foul tip held onto by the catcher. So even when he K's he makes contact, lol.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Astudillo finally struck out, but it came on a foul tip held onto by the catcher. So even when he K's he makes contact, lol.
    we should target the pitcher who actually struck Astudillo out. He must have some pretty amazing movement on his pitches or changing speeds (probably both). Who knows if he has any sense of control but by golly his stuff must be off the charts.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    we should target the pitcher who actually struck Astudillo out. He must have some pretty amazing movement on his pitches or changing speeds (probably both). Who knows if he has any sense of control but by golly his stuff must be off the charts.
    He also struck out the side that inning after striking out Astudillo. Jarlin Garcia is his name, has a 2.89 ERA so far this year.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravescountry View Post
    Everybody is doing well in our system who is highly rated.
    Sims has the most K's in the minors,
    Soroka is dominating A ball hitters (think he should be promoted mid-season to be challenged)
    Chris Ellis is pitching better than expected
    Newcomb is pitching well, but he still needs to fix his control issues
    Swanson is doing Swanson
    Albies is raking- 3rd youngest in AA and has the 3rd highest batting average
    Touki has struggled but his outing yesterday was encouraging
    Acuna is playing well
    Blair pitched well today (in mlb though)
    Riley has been hitting well for the past couple days
    Fried is showing exciting stuff
    Ruiz is crushing in AAA
    Sanchez is pitching well
    and the list continues...
    I've been pretty disappointed in Riley. It's April 29th and he's still super young, so I'm not worried, but I was hoping he would coming out kicking butt.

Very very minor complaint overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Hahaha, Astudillo says no body strikes me out and lives. He comes up his second AB with two outs and bases loaded and boom first pitch double in the gap scoring all three runners easy. 4-3 Braves just like that.

Note, Garcia seems to be a pitcher that has control issues, he was effectively wild being in and out of strike zone early but this big inning capped by the two out 3-RBI double by Astudillo came about due to walks and also gave up a bunt hit to opposing pitcher Ellis (so Ellis helped his own cause there). He walked in a run walking Peterson on a close 3-2 pitch just before that Astudillo 3-RBI double.

Also, Ellis is pitching better than his line-score but he has had issues walking the speedy runners and they have run wild. Plus two runners scored on an infield hit early. I have been impressed with Ellis curveball as he's getting a number of called strikes and K's with it too.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-29-2016 at 07:06 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (04-30-2016)