Thread: Fandom: Looking ahead (i.e. MLB service clock) Vs. living in the moment

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Fandom: Looking ahead (i.e. MLB service clock) Vs. living in the moment

Hey guys,

My apologies for any confusion with the topic title (and this post overall, really. It's gonna be very disjointed), but it's something that's been on my mind lately - especially with the excellent debate going on right now regarding Ozzie and Swanson.

To preface, back in the BravesCenter/Scout days, I used follow the minor leagues a lot more closely than I do now. I remember projected Braves rotations for the future including the likes of: Meyer, LeRew, Davies, James, et al.

Obviously, in retrospect the Baby Braves callups in 2005 really ignited my interest in the minor leagues. At that point (and especially in the seasons that followed '05), I was probably more invested following our farm than I was our MLB team. Lord knows, I couldn't (and wouldn't) blame anyone today who has found themselves in that particular boat.

That said though, I started to realize that a good chunk of the farm that I followed either didn't make it to the Show, or were traded before they had the opportunity (Teixeira trade, anyone?) - with the Braves anyway.

If you're still with me, I guess my point is this. For some reason (and my best guess is my age?), I pretty much find myself solely being invested in our MLB team now, outside of the "name" prospects, if you will.

And I can't say why, but it seems like I have this sorta "get off my lawn!" kinda reaction now when I read threads/posts that are projecting future Braves teams 3-5 years down the road.

Like I said before though, I'm totally not knocking any of you who are invested in the minors; I legitimately envy your recall and vast knowledge of our farm system as well as others.

So yeah, to sum this up, here's my question:

Why do I feel this way now regarding the Braves? Is it like an age thing (Imma 30 something now) where you have less time, or is it quite possible that my fandom has changed? At any rate, I'm definitely a "in the moment" kinda fan now. I honestly dunno what that means, if that's good or bad, but it is the best way I can describe where I'm at as a fan

Point being though, it really does feels weird to be in this position as a Braves fan. My love for the team hasn't changed, but something clearly has.

And I just dunno what that "something" is.

...do any of you guys possibly know what may be going on with me?
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Interesting post! Interesting especially to me because I'm exactly the opposite. I'm 35, and I'm more interested in the minors than I ever have been before. I used to be all MLB team, and only had knowledge of the big name prospects. So I don't have any insight as to why, since its completely different for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-01-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    It's definitely not an age thing, I'm 41 myself and enjoy following the minors and have full focus for the MLB team (though not this season because we are terrible of course).

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm one of the senior citizens on the board and I've followed the minors since the mid-1980s when the big league team was horrible. Subscribed to Baseball America when it was known as the All-American Baseball News (or something like that). My interest in the minors goes back further, when The Sporting News used to carry minor league stats and stories, but I really delved more deeply into it when the Braves' big league team stunk.

Mrs. Meta, I think the reason these guys are being rushed a bit is for fans with the same mindset as you. Whether or not it's good business, I think the brass wants to give fans the impression that they do know player development and that there are some good players who will be joining the team in the near future. With the putrid start, fans of all stripes are restless.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-01-2016 at 07:07 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-01-2016), Mrs. Meta (05-01-2016)