Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third-World Problems

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts

Third-World Problems

Remember the late 90s, when we dealt Schmidt and change for Denny Neagle so that we could have four potential Cy Young starters? Or dealing for Gary Sheffield, so we'd have enough juice (heh) in October? Or when we'd get Leo a reclamation project or two and they'd round out the bullpen?

Now we play a man down because the scrub we cut in early April hasn't been off the roster long enough to bring him back (and why, pray?) when we demote another hard-throwing TJ reliever who can't locate.

This front office has made enough deals that some of them are bound to pay off, but I'm about as impressed with Coppalella as most of us are with Fredi.

This team lacks running water and electricity. I'm waiting for Coppy to give an interview where he makes the ultimate proclamation of excellence, borrowed from Chuck LaMarr after eight years of Devil Ray futility: "If you remove major league W-L record from the analysis, we are one of the highest rated teams in baseball."

I'm sure they'll move Swanson and Albies and maybe a few others (Ruiz?) up the ladder with dispatch, and I'm sure impressed with Blair and Wisler. In the meantime, this is one sorry collection of stiffs and in my judgement it's the FO believing their own bull****. Braves Way, my ass. How do you bung up a procedural move like that? It looks bad. Hell, it IS bad.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-01-2016), Hawk (05-02-2016), Julio3000 (05-01-2016), Mrs. Meta (05-01-2016), NinersSBChamps (05-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I agree totally Gov., we are a joke right now and it's embarrassing. They added a player they cannot even use for 7 days and didn't know it, lol.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Really sucks that you can't turn an entire franchise around in 18 months. Better close up shop and move the team to Vegas.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-01-2016), mossy (05-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Really sucks that you can't turn an entire franchise around in 18 months. Better close up shop and move the team to Vegas.
    Did you finally get to see La Stella at third today? :)

clvclv's ST 2015 La Stella at third base scouting report:

Assertion: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post200400

Truth: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post202275.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I don't guess it matters if you win 40 or 60, but it's hard to watch. Maybe Coppy should get out of the prediction business. "I'm not sure how hard we're going to suck, but suck we will." A little honesty would be welcome. Or, if you're really incapable of assessing your team within, say, 35 games, maybe just get out out of the prediction business altogether.

In bidness, we call Coppy's approach "overpromising and under-delivering".

Think about it. "Rebuild on the fly" to "we'll be competitive" to "no way we'll be as bad as last year" to "we needed Bonifacio now, dammit" in 18 months.

Face it, this guy has about as much sense as any guy at your fantasy draft. If he gets one right, it's because the other GM is more retarded than he is. Which only happens with, like, San Diego and Dave Stewart.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 05-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I don't guess it matters if you win 40 or 60, but it's hard to watch. Maybe Coppy should get out of the prediction business. "I'm not sure how hard we're going to suck, but suck we will." A little honesty would be welcome. Or, if you're really incapable of assessing your team within, say, 35 games, maybe just get out out of the prediction business altogether.

In bidness, we call Coppy's "approach underpromising and over-delivering".

Think about it. "Rebuild on the fly" to "we'll be competitive" to "no way we'll be as bad as last year" to "we needed Bonifacio now, dammit" in 18 months.

Face it, this guy has about as much sense as any guy at your fantasy draft. If he gets one right, it's because the other GM is more retarded than he is. Which only happens with, like, San Diego and Dave Stewart.
    Dave may be "more retarded" but he's getting a birthday card from me this year thanking him for the Miller trade. I'll put a little money in it and add "Have a drink on me Dave!" :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Dave may be "more retarded" but he's getting a birthday card from me this year thanking him for the Miller trade. I'll put a little money in it and add "Have a drink on me Dave!" :)
    I'll split it with you.

That guy's in every fantasy draft. The Dave Stewart guy who thinks he's smarter than everyone and is really just an intellectually arrogant idiot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-01-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Who did the Braves sign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Who did the Braves sign?
    Francoeur
    Chacin
    Bonifacio
    KJohnson
    Pierzynski
    Olivera
    JJohnson

I'm tired. There are more, but I can't think of every swinging dick wearing a tomahawk right now. It gives me a headache.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    This roster construction was absolutely horrendous.

Unfortunately for Fredi the hammer will fall on him.
    Forever Fredi

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    "I do know we’re going to be better next year than we were this year.”

--Coppy, in the past offseason

That's not GM-speak. That's an unambiguous statement.

That's the kind of thing that causes me to be skeptical of the communications coming out of the FO.

I mean, I understand the bright-side case for how we COULD be better. If, you know, everybody stays healthy and plays up to expectations. If that's what you're counting on, and you're willing to state it as a certainty, might as well go ahead and secure the financial future of the club by picking up some Powerball tickets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    "I do know we’re going to be better next year than we were this year.”

--Coppy, in the past offseason

That's not GM-speak. That's an unambiguous statement.

That's the kind of thing that causes me to be skeptical of the communications coming out of the FO.

I mean, I understand the bright-side case for how we COULD be better. If, you know, everybody stays healthy and plays up to expectations. If that's what you're counting on, and you're willing to state it as a certainty, might as well go ahead and secure the financial future of the club by picking up some Powerball tickets.
    I guess thats where I just never got to... I have never, even as a huge Braves homer trusted the suits as telling me anything other than what they want me to believe.

Heyward wanted 350 Million? Thats probably what they wanted me to think.

Markaikis was the best FA we could sign? Ditto.

I don't take direct quotes other than direction with any salt, much less a grain or two.
    Ivermectin Man

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-02-2016), Julio3000 (05-02-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Did you finally get to see La Stella at third today? :)

clvclv's ST 2015 La Stella at third base scouting report:

Assertion: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post200400

Truth: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post202275.

So I said La Stella can't play 3B - who cares? I still say he's not good over there - or at 2B to be honest. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that since Joe snickered "he's not going to win any Gold Gloves at either position" yesterday during the broadcast. Maybe we're the only two people on the planet who think he's not a very good defender, but my guess is that he heard it from someone other than me.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Much of the criticism here is on point, very fair and justified. But I remain mystified that anyone has a problem with the Braves signing Markakis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Much of the criticism here is on point, very fair and justified. But I remain mystified that anyone has a problem with the Braves signing Markakis.
    cost us the #1 pick. I believe that has been the reasoning behind the critique. He helps us in years when it doesn't matter and doesn't help us in years when it does matter. Note that I am summarizing a view that I don't necessarily subscribe to.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-02-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    But...but...but...

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Really? In general I think my outlook on the future of the team is rosier than that of most posters in this thread, but I feel like the one thing everyone can agree on is that the Markakis signing has never made any sense.

He'd be a fine addition to a winning team with its core already in place, but on a team that's truly rebuilding, he doesn't add anything aside from giving us one spot in the lineup that isn't painful to watch. At $11 million per year he was never going to be a bargain, so it's not like you could hope to trade him later on for some nice rebuilding pieces. I think the best justification you can make for the signing is that there wasn't much else to spend that money on, but a) I don't think that's a particularly good justification and b) I'm sure the FO could've found a creative way to spend the money that improved the team's future more than 4 years of Nick Markakis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I still think the decision to sign him was a head-scratcher. My recollection is that this was the majority opinion of the media, insiders, etc. Has it worked out better than most of us thought . . . yes. And it could work out very well if he keeps performing at currently levels and is traded int he next 6-8 months. Seems to be a near certainty that at least one of Markakis / Inciarte will be traded before OD 2017.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    Really? In general I think my outlook on the future of the team is rosier than that of most posters in this thread, but I feel like the one thing everyone can agree on is that the Markakis signing has never made any sense.

He'd be a fine addition to a winning team with its core already in place, but on a team that's truly rebuilding, he doesn't add anything aside from giving us one spot in the lineup that isn't painful to watch. At $11 million per year he was never going to be a bargain, so it's not like you could hope to trade him later on for some nice rebuilding pieces. I think the best justification you can make for the signing is that there wasn't much else to spend that money on, but a) I don't think that's a particularly good justification and b) I'm sure the FO could've found a creative way to spend the money that improved the team's future more than 4 years of Nick Markakis.
    Assuming he keeps producing, he's actually quite tradeable. Will he bring back a Top 50 prospect? Probably not, but that doesn't mean he won't bring back a nice piece or two. If we're going to continue our history of giving SPs forever to prove that they're not SPs, a couple of live pen arms from someone else's system that our front office isn't so invested in would be quite welcome IMO.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    My issue with it concerns roster creation, application of limited assets (money), timing (both with the player and with the team) and management vision.

1. If you are trying to create a team that is at least presentable in MLB, that team has to have some power output, especially HR power. You have limited places where that power can be brought in, either through signing or trade or through open positions on the team in Atlanta. For instance, you aren't bringing in a 30 HR hitting catcher because there aren't any and if they were they would be unavailable. Markakis has never been a big power threat guy, even playing in a power league in mostly hitters parks.

2. From a money standpoint, it made no sense either. The contract that he is on isn't insane but it is money that could have been better spent elsewhere especially considering that the team was going to rebuild. When you go into a rebuild, you should spend your money on an asset that is going to be a long term cornerstone for your franchise (Markakis wasn't that) OR that you can trade easily for a big return given the right circumstances (Given his lack of power and questionable health, Markakis wasn't that).

3. Markakis is a nice additive part for a loaded team that needs that final part to get over the hump, but the Braves are a long way away from the hump. He also could be a good veteran add in the mold of Sid Bream for a team that is full of young guys at the MLB level who are on the verge of competing but need a little veteran presence to show them how its done over the long haul as a professional, but the Braves were nowhere near that. Markakis was coming off major surgery. His hometown team, who has a Greek owner who loved Markakis, didn't make an offer.

4. The Braves brought Markakis in, then immediately began to rebuild. To me, that was a clear lack of vision on the part of management, a ready, go, set form of action. Signing Markakis makes no sense when taken into context that the team was rebuilding. So, I conclude that they signed him BEFORE they decided to pull the plug which shows a lack of vision and timing.

I don't "hate" Markakis as a player or person. I just don't see the fit with the philosophy or timing.