Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5/4 MINORS WEDNESDAY FINAL: Inciarte begins rehab, 4-hit day for Swanson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Wait...are we talking about Vincent Velasquez? Because he's pitching in Philadelphia...and killing it.

But Reed, Bregman, and Tucker alone are probably the Astros' top 3 prospects and 3 of the top 30 or so prospects in all of baseball right now. They're not going to give that up.
    Well, I agree it won't fetch that return but it really shouldn't be that far off.... We are talking about a cheap no 2, and a cost controlled AS candidate at 1B all signed to long term deals.

2 Top 50 players in MLB? Probably.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Well, I agree it won't fetch that return but it really shouldn't be that far off.... We are talking about a cheap no 2, and a cost controlled AS candidate at 1B all signed to long term deals.

2 Top 50 players in MLB? Probably.
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find any national analyst that would rank them both in the top 50 right now. MLB Network ranked the top 100 before the season and didn't have either one on the list at all. CBS Sports put Freeman #55 but didn't include Teheran in the top 100.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find any national analyst that would rank them both in the top 50 right now. MLB Network ranked the top 100 before the season and didn't have either one on the list at all. CBS Sports put Freeman #55 but didn't include Teheran in the top 100.
    Of course, the list is fluid. Freeman is playing like dog crap, and Julio can't get much help but they are probably there in my mind. Probably right, top 50 is probably generous with relievers included (which I forgot). If they are performing to expectations I think they are still right there.....Homer glasses and all.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Wait...are we talking about Vincent Velasquez? Because he's pitching in Philadelphia...and killing it.

But Reed, Bregman, and Tucker alone are probably the Astros' top 3 prospects and 3 of the top 30 or so prospects in all of baseball right now. They're not going to give that up.
    I was talking about this past offseason smootness, before Houston made the Giles trade with Philly. The Astros were looking for a starting pitcher and closer, and were interested in Freeman. Tucker is not anywhere close to a top 30 prospect right now, he wasn't even top 50 on most lists this offseason. Bregman was top 50, but not top 30 then. Now of course he'll be jumping up the lists, and be top 25 for sure, but this past offseason he hadn't blown up yet. I think we could have gotten those 4 pretty easily for Freeman, Julio, and Viz this past offseason before the Astros gave up that big package for Giles.

Right now there is no way in hell the Astros would do it of course. But of course right now there is no way in hell they do that trade with the Phils either. It makes me a sad panda that we went for Folty rather than Velaquez in our Gattis trade.
    Last edited by auyushu; 05-05-2016 at 07:12 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I was talking about this past offseason smootness, before Houston made the Giles trade with Philly. The Astros were looking for a starting pitcher and closer, and were interested in Freeman. Tucker is not anywhere close to a top 30 prospect right now, he wasn't even top 75 on most lists this offseason. Bregman was top 50, but not top 30 then. Now of course he'll be jumping up the lists, and be top 25 for sure, but this past offseason he hadn't blown up yet. I think we could have gotten those 4 pretty easily for Freeman, Julio, and Viz this past offseason before the Astros gave up that big package for Giles.

Right now there is no way in hell the Astros would do it of course. But of course right now there is no way in hell that do that trade with the Phils either. It makes me a sad panda that we went for Folty rather than Velaquez in our Gattis trade.
    Yea, as I told nsacpi at the time I didn't think much of either pitcher in the Gattis deal at the time or the trade and I think even less of both now. Hopefully Ruiz makes that trade help in some way and/or we trade Folty for someone that does.