Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Sasse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Ben Sasse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...vertrump-scam/

I am sure in the next few weeks we will be hearing a lot about this man and many of you will view him as the second coming of, I don't know, Bobby Jindal.

"Really? The disagreements that divide Republicans and Democrats are just “tiny things”? In recent years the two parties have argued about what the tax system should look like, whether we should privatize Medicare, whether America should default on its debt, whether we should address climate change, whether gay Americans deserve the same rights as straight Americans, whether we ought to do something about the 30,000 Americans who die from gun violence, whether women ought to be able to get abortions, and a whole host of other issues. Those are “tiny things”? "
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...vertrump-scam/

I am sure in the next few weeks we will be hearing a lot about this man and many of you will view him as the second coming of, I don't know, Bobby Jindal.

"Really? The disagreements that divide Republicans and Democrats are just “tiny things”? In recent years the two parties have argued about what the tax system should look like, whether we should privatize Medicare, whether America should default on its debt, whether we should address climate change, whether gay Americans deserve the same rights as straight Americans, whether we ought to do something about the 30,000 Americans who die from gun violence, whether women ought to be able to get abortions, and a whole host of other issues. Those are “tiny things”? "

I've followed Sasse off and on both outside of politics and now as a Senator. He's a breathe of fresh air. Smart guy. I wish guys on your side of the aisle though weren't ready always to roast and mock...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    When you write in your critique,

My guess is that if you asked for particulars, Sasse would give you a line about...

then I am really not that interested in reading much further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    So Sasse goes on: “Washington isn’t fooling anyone — Neither political party works. They bicker like children about tiny things, and yet they can’t even identify the biggest issues we face. They’re like a couple arguing about what color to paint the living room, and meanwhile, their house is on fire.”

This guy sounds more like a baseball message board poster than a statesman.
    Which to my eyes tells me why and how the GOP wound up being Trump's Party.
    In essence, yours

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Ben_Sasse.htm

Giving the benefit or the doubt, I will say time will tell.
    But didn't we just watch Marco Rubio use all the same platitudes ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 05-05-2016 at 01:29 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    It was a Facebook post. Context matters.

Did you ever watch the video of his first speech on the floor of the Senate that I posted?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    57, I pray that one day an old dog learns a new trick. Praying for you pal.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    OK, Ben, see you in 2020, in the ring with Nikki, Rubio, and whatever retreads from this cycle are going to lace 'em up again.

I promise my friend BB that I'll will keep an open mind as to whether he is something different or merely a new package with the same contents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    It was a Facebook post. Context matters.

Did you ever watch the video of his first speech on the floor of the Senate that I posted?
    yes, back when

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    57, I pray that one day an old dog learns a new trick. Praying for you pal.
    If I were a pray-er I would that one day you aren't so easily distracted by the new sparkly thing
    :)

either way, we hold out hope for one another

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    So Sasse is the hybrid version of Rubio/Cruz 2011. He's gonna put his name in the hat in 2020.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Of course he is - that old saying that every Senator in his heart of hearts see's himself one day POTUS.

this man is no different, ambition. HRC gets hit over the head for being ambitious but, It comes with the territory.
    Frankly I wouldn't trust anyone running if they weren't all in ambitious.

Jeb Bush anyone ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    So the next big Republican after Trump is going to be some guy named Sass?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Upon further reflection, I have some thoughts.

Like I said earlier, I'll give this cat the benefit of the doubt. I have some impressions from this latest foray onto the national stage, though.

He mentions entitlement reform as one of the top-line things that HAS TO HAPPEN. Guess what? It could have happened in the current president's term, were it not for the Tea Party caucus. The guys that BB has cast aside as fossils—the Boehners, Grahams, and McCains—are the very guys who could make this work. All of Ben Sasse's apparent earnestness isn't going to get it done unless he's ready to Sistah Souljah the extremists in his own party. Is he willing to do that? I'd love to see it, but I won't hold my breath.

My innate cynicism about the state of American politics is going to lead me to default to a position that this guy is the same stuff in a different (albeit younger, smarter, and more telegenic) package, until proven otherwise.

And to BB, whom I know is a fan . . . there's a kind of self-certainty and smugness that inhabits the well-scrubbed, clever evangelical sorts that mirrors the self-certainty and smugness that you seem to despise in the secular lefties of the world. There's a certain off-puttingness about that kind of ontological certainty, and it's a big hill to climb, as it for you on the other side, I'm sure.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    OK, Ben, see you in 2020, in the ring with Nikki, Rubio, and whatever retreads from this cycle are going to lace 'em up again.

I promise my friend BB that I'll will keep an open mind as to whether he is something different or merely a new package with the same contents.

Have you watched the video of his first Senate speech?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    If I were a pray-er I would that one day you aren't so easily distracted by the new sparkly thing
    :)

either way, we hold out hope for one another

Have you watched the video of his first Senate speech?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    So Sasse is the hybrid version of Rubio/Cruz 2011. He's gonna put his name in the hat in 2020.

Not particularly. Certainly not either of them theologically.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Of course he is - that old saying that every Senator in his heart of hearts see's himself one day POTUS.

this man is no different, ambition. HRC gets hit over the head for being ambitious but, It comes with the territory.
    Frankly I wouldn't trust anyone running if they weren't all in ambitious.

Jeb Bush anyone ?

No person on the other side of the aisle (truly) would ever be any different to you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    So the next big Republican after Trump is going to be some guy named Sass?

No, and whether he'll be the next big thing will be seen, but it is Sasse.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Upon further reflection, I have some thoughts.

Like I said earlier, I'll give this cat the benefit of the doubt. I have some impressions from this latest foray onto the national stage, though.

He mentions entitlement reform as one of the top-line things that HAS TO HAPPEN. Guess what? It could have happened in the current president's term, were it not for the Tea Party caucus. The guys that BB has cast aside as fossils—the Boehners, Grahams, and McCains—are the very guys who could make this work. All of Ben Sasse's apparent earnestness isn't going to get it done unless he's ready to Sistah Souljah the extremists in his own party. Is he willing to do that? I'd love to see it, but I won't hold my breath.

My innate cynicism about the state of American politics is going to lead me to default to a position that this guy is the same stuff in a different (albeit younger, smarter, and more telegenic) package, until proven otherwise.

And to BB, whom I know is a fan . . . there's a kind of self-certainty and smugness that inhabits the well-scrubbed, clever evangelical sorts that mirrors the self-certainty and smugness that you seem to despise in the secular lefties of the world. There's a certain off-puttingness about that kind of ontological certainty, and it's a big hill to climb, as it for you on the other side, I'm sure.

1. He was willing to immediately go against Trump, fwiw.

2. I'm sure. And yes, you and others come across to me that way too I suppose. Not always though, fwiw.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    All of y'all's responses are interesting though. Not altogether unexpected.