Thread: Yahoo Sports: Trading Brandon Drury may haunt the Braves for a long time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

Yahoo Sports: Trading Brandon Drury may haunt the Braves for a long time

Article on Yahoo Sports today. Essentially they're getting excited about his hot start. However, when you dig deeper into his stats, it appears to be small sample size. His AVG isn't BABIP inflated, however his slugging is over .600, and there's no way that continues. In the minors he was slugging in the mid .400's at most. Then you have his walk rate. He's got only 2 walks so far in 100 Plate Appearances. That's not really a recipe for success. We'll just have to wait and see, but it's a pretty safe bet he regresses as the year goes on. He's got 6 HR this year after hitting 7 all of last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...042321898.html

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Who?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The thing about his minor league career that suggests he will be a useful major league player is the combination of a reasonable strikeout rate (usually under 20%, at times under 15%) with some power (ISO usually above .150). That combination should offset the weak walk rate.

Plus the fact that we drafted him as a 17 year old, which means he's usually been young for his level. He's only 23 right now, so some room to grow as a player.

He was taken after the tenth round during a period when we took very few HS players in that part of the draft. I'm glad we're now taking more HS players after the tenth round. Our record with those kinds of picks is not bad.

We didn't have a #1 pick in the 2010 draft, yet managed to bring in Simmons, Gattis, Drury, Shreve, Gosselin, Cunningham and Terdoslavich.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-08-2016 at 01:16 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I'm not quite ready to mourn the loss of a player who is hitting 24% of his FBs out of the park and his a BABIP only a few points higher than his OBP. Nothing Drury has done so far seems even remotely sustainable and his low walk rate is going to make him a liability if he doesn't keep hitting everything out of the park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Yeah, I'm not worried about the dude at all lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I'm sure the Braves regret getting two elite years from Justin Upton for a super utility player.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (05-08-2016), Julio3000 (05-08-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Drury is the guy I was dying for in the Shelby deal(obviously not complaining about what we got). He's going to be a very very good bat for a long time.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Mostly every player that gets to the majors is good enough to put a hot stretch like this together. Too many people think they're experts.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Mostly every player that gets to the majors is good enough to put a hot stretch like this together. Too many people think they're experts.
    There are lots and lots of people that think Drury will be a very good major league bat. That doesn't mean it's going to haunt us because it was a very good trade to make and we turned Upton into Fried/Mallex/etc. But anyone that doesn't think Drury is a real talent needs to pay attention more.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The thing about his minor league career that suggests he will be a useful major league player is the combination of a reasonable strikeout rate (usually under 20%, at times under 15%) with some power (ISO usually above .150). That combination should offset the weak walk rate.

Plus the fact that we drafted him as a 17 year old, which means he's usually been young for his level. He's only 23 right now, so some room to grow as a player.

He was taken after the tenth round during a period when we took very few HS players in that part of the draft. I'm glad we're now taking more HS players after the tenth round. Our record with those kinds of picks is not bad.

We didn't have a #1 pick in the 2010 draft, yet managed to bring in Simmons, Gattis, Drury, Shreve, Gosselin, Cunningham and Terdoslavich.

lol... I would trade every one of those players for that #1 pick however...

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I like him. Wish we had him

But we crushed the jup deal. Our package for one year of jup might beat what they got for 3 years of jup