Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braxton Davidson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts

Braxton Davidson

.182/.259/.273

Anyone expect this kid to amount to something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    .182/.259/.273

It's certainly a bad start in High A, but it is also still early enough to not be too concerned. Hopefully he makes adjustments soon and we look back on these numbers as just a bad first month plus.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-09-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    .182/.259/.273

I like the bat a lot. Freddie Freeman was ****ty in AA and he killed it the next year in AAA. I have always been of the opinion that it's not that bad of a thing for a prospect to struggle.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-08-2016), JohnAdcox (05-09-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    He's 19 years old. He's nineteen years old. I'll say it one more time: Braxton Davidson is only 19. He turns 20 in June. You want instant gratification, play fantasy baseball.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (05-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    He's 19 years old. He's nineteen years old. I'll say it one more time: Braxton Davidson is only 19. He turns 20 in June. You want instant gratification, play fantasy baseball.
    I understand he's young. Hasn't he been playing against players his age? BTW, I'm not saying he won't be good... I was wondering what the board thinks of him. Sorry this offended you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (05-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Still a good prospect, but I think Dustin Peterson has moved ahead of him. And among the young corner outfielders, there is also Isranel Wilson. Plus we have quite a group that plays center (and therefore could move to a corner spot). Inciarte and Mallex at the major league level. Acuna in Rome. And Randy Ventura who will make his stateside debut this year. Competition is a good thing for the franchise, but Davidson is slipping a bit relative to some of his competition.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    At this point it is all hope with no basis in fact.

I don't see how a GM could count on him and say "in 2018 I can pencil in Braxton Davidson at a corner OF position." I think a GM would have to say, you know what, he's young. And we saw enough in him to take him pretty high. So, I hope he turns into something. But, right now, I can't count on that and must assume he will flame out to nothing and move forward with other alternatives, keeping Braxton in mind IF he starts to right the ship.

OTOH, I can easily see a GM saying "in 2018, I'm going to go ahead and pencil in an infield made up of Albies and Swanson. I don't need to be looking for SS or 2B help in any direct way. You never turn down something good and cheap, but those positions aren't a necessity." That might turn out to be completely wrong. Both could tear their labrums tomorrow and not ever be able to throw a baseball more than 10 feet ever again. But, at some point a GM has to long range plan and right now I think Albies and Swanson are in that plan and I can't see any way that Davidson could be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Right now I'd say Albies, Swanson and Acuna are the three position prospects that have a better than 50% chance of being at least an average major league regular at their position. The others project as bench players or platoon players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Right now I'd say Albies, Swanson and Acuna are the three position prospects that have a better than 50% chance of being at least an average major league regular at their position. The others project as bench players or platoon players.
    I am afraid Dustin Peterson may go the way of his brother, look good at times in AA and then end up looking like a bust as his brother does now. I hope not though because I do like him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I would probably agree with the first statement, but I think there's a pretty good chance that at least one of the other guys eventually develops and is a good regular. Between Peterson, Davidson, Ruiz, Riley, and Yepez, I like the chances of at least one breaking out at some point.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I am afraid Dustin Peterson may go the way of his brother, look good at times in AA and then end up looking like a bust as his brother does now. I hope not though because I do like him.
    We have a group that includes Peterson, Ruiz, Davidson for whom individually the odds of them being an average or better major league regular are less than 50%. But there enough of them that one will probably emerge. Sort of like Prado emerged even though he never was that great a prospect in the minors. As a GM you just have to be patient and flexible as you wait for these things to sort themselves out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I like the bat a lot. Freddie Freeman was ****ty in AA and he killed it the next year in AAA. I have always been of the opinion that it's not that bad of a thing for a prospect to struggle.
    The problem is... he hasn't been good at any level yet... and Freeman wasn't anywhere CLOSE to that ****ty at any level...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    To me, Davidson is the biggest disappointment in the system at this point. I always warn fans about putting too much stock in a high walk rate at the lower levels and he has to show he can hit strikes. If he doesn't, he's going to top out before he hits the bigs. He is young for High A and I thought the Braves might have had him repeat Rome.

As per Dustin Peterson, he did better than Davidson last year at the same level. He's doing okay in Mississippi, but it's early. I like him more than most on here.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016), Tapate50 (05-09-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I watched him plenty last year in Rome. Talked to his dad a bit and I'll say it again as I gave my thoughts on his progression and it still rings true. There are aspects of Braxton's game that are pretty good. His eye, patience. There. Now, I like the kid and anyone who's seen him as much as me, feel free to disagree, but i see:
    1. At times, he doesn't know what type of hitter he wants to be. I was told he wanted to change his overall approach to a more contact savvy hitter. The problem is that it's taken away his aggressiveness and power. It hindered him last year and twice I've seen him this year.
    2. He can make adjustments from at bat to at bat, but the high and away pitch has been his achilles until he makes that adjustment. Usually in his second at-bat, but the they change their approach to him.
    3. I've never seen a kid get himself into so many 2 strike counts. At that point, especially if the pitcher is ahead in the count, his patience kills him because he's having to adjust to the pitchers pitch.

Long story short. I like him. I just think he needs to get aggressive and right now. He was a masher up until his junior year in HS before adjusting to be more contact driven. At this point, the results are mixed at best.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-09-2016), JohnAdcox (05-09-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I watched him plenty last year in Rome. Talked to his dad a bit and I'll say it again as I gave my thoughts on his progression and it still rings true. There are aspects of Braxton's game that are pretty good. His eye, patience. There. Now, I like the kid and anyone who's seen him as much as me, feel free to disagree, but i see:
    1. At times, he doesn't know what type of hitter he wants to be. I was told he wanted to change his overall approach to a more contact savvy hitter. The problem is that it's taken away his aggressiveness and power. It hindered him last year and twice I've seen him this year.
    2. He can make adjustments from at bat to at bat, but the high and away pitch has been his achilles until he makes that adjustment. Usually in his second at-bat, but the they change their approach to him.
    3. I've never seen a kid get himself into so many 2 strike counts. At that point, especially if the pitcher is ahead in the count, his patience kills him because he's having to adjust to the pitchers pitch.

Long story short. I like him. I just think he needs to get aggressive and right now. He was a masher up until his junior year in HS before adjusting to be more contact driven. At this point, the results are mixed at best.
    Good insight. I know I'm generalizing, but I have always thought that the OBP angle preached by Lewis in Moneyball was way too simplistic and has really been a disservice to many fans, especially when trying to gauge minor league players. People look at walk rates in the low minors and go gaga over guys who walk a lot and praise their discipline. It's pretty easy to be disciplined in Rookie Ball and Low A when half the pitchers in the league are throwing 58 foot breaking balls and have about as much luck locating their fastball as I would trying to court Ivanka Trump (she is top drawer baby and America is going to love her).

Good prospects hit strikes. Great prospects hit quality strikes. That is how the world works. That doesn't mean that guys who swing at everything should be hailed as sure things either, but if you don't hit strikes in baseball, you don't succeed. It is really that simple. Guys who take too many close pitches (or swing at bad pitches) get themselves into bad counts which leads to a great advantage for pitchers. I was a crappy baseball player and even I know that much. Even below average pitchers feast on hitters when it's a pitchers' count. That doesn't show up as much in the low minors as it does when hitters move up leagues and the quality of the pitching improves.

The challenge is there for Davidson. He obviously has some decent tools, but if he doesn't learn to be more aggressive early in the count, he's going to continue to scuffle.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-09-2016 at 10:00 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Still a good prospect, but I think Dustin Peterson has moved ahead of him. And among the young corner outfielders, there is also Isranel Wilson. Plus we have quite a group that plays center (and therefore could move to a corner spot). Inciarte and Mallex at the major league level. Acuna in Rome. And Randy Ventura who will make his stateside debut this year. Competition is a good thing for the franchise, but Davidson is slipping a bit relative to some of his competition.
    Peterson was my next thought. I think he's going to pan out to be a really solid corner outfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Peterson was my next thought. I think he's going to pan out to be a really solid corner outfielder.
    Peterson and Davidson have been linked in my thinking for a while. Imo neither is quite of the caliber that you want to project them as an everyday outfielder (though of course there is always a chance). But both have a realistic chance to be a decent platoon player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I admit I am worried about Davidson but theres plenty of time for him to figure it out. Prospects dont all have the same development path.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Good insight. I know I'm generalizing, but I have always thought that the OBP angle preached by Lewis in Moneyball was way too simplistic and has really been a disservice to many fans, especially when trying to gauge minor league players. People look at walk rates in the low minors and go gaga over guys who walk a lot and praise their discipline. It's pretty easy to be disciplined in Rookie Ball and Low A when half the pitchers in the league are throwing 58 foot breaking balls and have about as much luck locating their fastball as I would trying to court Ivanka Trump (she is top drawer baby and America is going to love her).

Good prospects hit strikes. Great prospects hit quality strikes. That is how the world works. That doesn't mean that guys who swing at everything should be hailed as sure things either, but if you don't hit strikes in baseball, you don't succeed. It is really that simple. Guys who take too many close pitches (or swing at bad pitches) get themselves into bad counts which leads to a great advantage for pitchers. I was a crappy baseball player and even I know that much. Even below average pitchers feast on hitters when it's a pitchers' count. That doesn't show up as much in the low minors as it does when hitters move up leagues and the quality of the pitching improves.

The challenge is there for Davidson. He obviously has some decent tools, but if he doesn't learn to be more aggressive early in the count, he's going to continue to scuffle.
    Agree! IMO, you don't have a great eye and great plate discipline if you are walking 15% of the time but striking out 25% of the time. Braxton's problem is that he strikes out looking so much. He stands up there with the bat on his shoulder and expects things to happen. To me, that's what Moneyball has driven. The walk is the end all be all of offensive stats, so you are taking a hitter's aggressiveness away from him by telling him that he needs to draw more walks.

Braxton needs to get aggressive early in the count and hit strikes.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

You and KB are spot on. Watch an Albies at-bat as a 19 year old and watch Davidson. (And yes...prospects develop at different rates), but Albies KNOWS what type of hitter he is and can barrel a ball better than some major leaguers right now. I feel Braxton is caught in a virtual "who am I" spin cycle. I would think a coach would be in his ear getting him to get aggressive. He has enough bat skills where his aggression SHOULD serve him better.