Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting rotation

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    After last night, Perez's stock soared. Braves also eager to get Banuelos out there again before '17 if possible.

Gant also bounced back from his earlier failed audition while Jenkins has yet to have his. Would love to see Sims get a chance as well, but it's hard to see when.

But the future is rapidly becoming now. (Does that make sense?)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-12-2016), clvclv (05-12-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I agree. You have to throw on the homer glasses to see a dominant rotation there until some of the younger higher upside guys arrive. That rotation is light on k's to me...
    Yeah, I think we are lucky if 1 of those guys is a legitimate long term top of the rotation (1 or 2) type starter.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Cubs and Dodgers.
    Why would the Cubs be interested? They aren't going to replace Lackey with him. Hendricks is good value. Then Hammel, Arrieta, Lester.

I could see the Dodgers, but they are certainly going to give Kazmir more time to show his stuff (or lackthereof)
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think if someone steps up on jt it will be a surprise team like Pitt. His contract is very valuable. It would be a shot for a team to get a long term cost controlled asset to a smaller market.

I'd also throw Ellis into the fourth or fifth starter ring

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah, but they have Bartolo. We don't have anyone like that, though there is a small chance that Williams Perez could grow into that kind of pitcher.
    Looking for "Bills" (our family nickname for Perez) to go deep next game, Bartolo-like. Maybe he'll be Bartolo-light. But not that light.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimsnores For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (05-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    If the Braves play it right, they might have a chance to get a couple of young, impact bats for Teheran in a deal before the deadline. With Strasburg off the market, Teheran is going to be a hot name for teams like the Cubs and Dodgers that are wanting to push for the World Series. I think they could get a package similar to what they got for Shelby Miller.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Teheran would bring back better value. If we could get a great catching or OF prospect straight up for Teheran I'd jump at it and see if Perez can be a decent 5th for a few years. Since we also have Jenkins and Newcomb coming up soon, gives us more flexibility to unload Julio. I really like Wisler. Blair hasn't convinced me yet. If he can turn into another Brandon Webb though I'll be ecstatic.

Looks like the 2017 team will be better than we thought. Albies and Swanson will both be playing on opening day IMO and we have Shae Simmons coming back which only bolsters our pen and moves everybody down a slot.

Any chance Acuna can get moved to 3rd? If Ruiz doesn't pan out we need a 3B. Catcher is also important but I feel if we draft Lewis that's one less outfield position we have to worry about.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Teheran would bring back better value. If we could get a great catching or OF prospect straight up for Teheran I'd jump at it and see if Perez can be a decent 5th for a few years. Since we also have Jenkins and Newcomb coming up soon, gives us more flexibility to unload Julio. I really like Wisler. Blair hasn't convinced me yet. If he can turn into another Brandon Webb though I'll be ecstatic.

Looks like the 2017 team will be better than we thought. Albies and Swanson will both be playing on opening day IMO and we have Shae Simmons coming back which only bolsters our pen and moves everybody down a slot.

Any chance Acuna can get moved to 3rd? If Ruiz doesn't pan out we need a 3B. Catcher is also important but I feel if we draft Lewis that's one less outfield position we have to worry about.
    I've had my doubts, but I've been pretty sold that 2017 would at least be a decent year for us.

I'm still so bullish on what to do with Teheran. I REALLY think he could be big for us next year, but we couldn't turn down a Miller-esque package and if we were offered a RH-OF power-type bat or a really solid catcher, it's hard to say no.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I've probably been the huuuugest supporter of Baby Harang on here. Even when he's struggled and nibbled he's one of the few pitchers we've had come up that wasn't afraid to attack hitters. I really hope the last two starts (including Gwinnett) becomes a turning point for him. He can be a solid 5 for us for many years.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I've had my doubts, but I've been pretty sold that 2017 would at least be a decent year for us.

I'm still so bullish on what to do with Teheran. I REALLY think he could be big for us next year, but we couldn't turn down a Miller-esque package and if we were offered a RH-OF power-type bat or a really solid catcher, it's hard to say no.
    Teheran is probably our biggest tradable asset since Freeman is off the table. We should use him to net us a Miller type deal.

Fwiw while I've joked and been pissed at the FO the last 2 years for the 2017 hype, I've been satisfied with their acquisitions. I do think the prospects they've acquired and have yet to draft will have us competitive in less than 2 years. Now that we're getting younger again (lol we were also the youngest team in 2013 but f*** injuries) it's making me excited to be excited about the future again.
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (05-12-2016), UNCBlue012 (05-12-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I've probably been the huuuugest supporter of Baby Harang on here. Even when he's struggled and nibbled he's one of the few pitchers we've had come up that wasn't afraid to attack hitters. I really hope the last two starts (including Gwinnett) becomes a turning point for him. He can be a solid 5 for us for many years.
    Um, if he pitches like he did his last two starts, he is more like a #2...

I have always liked Perez.. I lost some of that after his spring and early stats.. but I have always liked a guy who just cuts the heck out of the ball.. Bartolo has always been one of my favorites and just don't see why other pitchers don't watch him and say, 'crap, I don't have to throw maxed out.. just change speeds/location/and direction and hitters will be off balance.. I know Perez is not as good as he has been the last two starts.. but he can be effective if nothing else..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Perez is more like a 5th starter/long reliever. I dont want to go into 2017 with him starting the year in the rotation. I want him to be the 6th or 7th starter to begin the year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Perez is more like a 5th starter/long reliever. I dont want to go into 2017 with him starting the year in the rotation. I want him to be the 6th or 7th starter to begin the year.
    I think his peak potential is a #3. But if he is a solid #5 I'll take it.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Perez is a Jorge Sosa 2.0.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think his peak potential is a #3. But if he is a solid #5 I'll take it.
    Perez will never be a #3. He likely won't ever be a decent #5.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Perez is a Jorge Sosa 2.0.
    Don't think so. Perez has way better mechanics than Sosa. Sosa was just a raw talent pitching whereas Perez is much more polished as a pitcher.

I think Perez could turn it around if he learns better control. At this point he "knows" how to pitch just has to execute.
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Perez will never be a #3. He likely won't ever be a decent #5.
    I disagree.... and you may be right.. but I am just not the believer that you have to K 10 to be considered a 'pitching prospect'..

Perez has a career 3.26 ERA and Whip of 1.2 in 500+ minor league IP.. and each level he actually improved both ERA and WHIP (except from A+ to AA with ERA..stayed roughly the same).. it is not like Adonis, out of no where.. He just doesn't have flashy stuff to get noticed. Someone said this a while ago and I think this is spot on in regards to Perez... --"you are going to look tens years from now and still see Perez pitching in the league and wonder how he stuck around this long"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Don't think so. Perez has way better mechanics than Sosa. Sosa was just a raw talent pitching whereas Perez is much more polished as a pitcher.

I think Perez could turn it around if he learns better control. At this point he "knows" how to pitch just has to execute.
    There is something to say about Perez's ability generate a ton of groundballs.

His two biggest issues are the high number of walks and the homeruns. For a guy that generates a lot of groundballs, he sure struggles with the homerun ball. I'm pessimistic about his outcome, but you need players like Perez that wildly out perform their projections.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    There is something to say about Perez's ability generate a ton of groundballs.

His two biggest issues are the high number of walks and the homeruns. For a guy that generates a lot of groundballs, he sure struggles with the homerun ball. I'm pessimistic about his outcome, but you need players like Perez that wildly out perform their projections.

Both the walks and homerun can be attributed to his aggressiveness to go after hitters. If you watch the way he attacks the corners and edges it makes sense he gives up homers and gets some walks. I think his only issue is control. His stuff is good enough. I think his mentality and the way he approaches attacking hitters is underrated. He's not afraid to go after them. And if he keeps his 2 seamer down and learns a cutter to righties he'll be really decent.
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    After last night, Perez's stock soared. Braves also eager to get Banuelos out there again before '17 if possible.

Gant also bounced back from his earlier failed audition while Jenkins has yet to have his. Would love to see Sims get a chance as well, but it's hard to see when.

But the future is rapidly becoming now. (Does that make sense?)

The main reason I'm so bullish on the decision to move Chacin rather than trying to hold out for a slightly better "suspect". He was already beginning to get in the way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?