Thread: Fredi fired

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I believe Hart said Fredi already knew he wasn't going to be back for 2017 and he just keptgoing like a loyal soldier. Eventually they felt the pressure was wearing on Fredi so they just gave him the mercy firing. He said on the telecast also or rather admitted they knew they didn't give Fredi a good team this year to compete. Also said "we felt we were a bit better than we were"
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    I believe Hart said Fredi already knew he wasn't going to be back for 2017 and he just keptgoing like a loyal soldier. Eventually they felt the pressure was wearing on Fredi so they just gave him the mercy firing. He said on the telecast also or rather admitted they knew they didn't give Fredi a good team this year to compete. Also said "we felt we were a bit better than we were"
    None of those "revelations" reflect well on the Three-Pointed John Creature, to be honest; but the mistaken assessment of how good the team would be is either (i) a lie they need to quietly quit telling or (ii) a pretty bald indictment of their abilities as assessors of major-league talent/viability.
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-18-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-18-2016), Dalyn (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    None of those "revelations" reflect well on the Three-Pointed John Creature, to be honest; but the mistaken assessment of how good the team would be is either (i) a lie they needed to quietly quit telling or (ii) a pretty bald indictment of their abilities as assessors of major-league talent/viability.
    It has to be a lie. I said this team would lose 100 games before the season started. There is no way any reputable baseball executive could have looked at this roster and thought they would be competitive.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-18-2016), JohnAdcox (05-18-2016), Tapate50 (05-18-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Wow, I was one of Fredi's biggest critics and wanted to see him gone in the worst way, but what a shameful shameful way to be dismissed. I'm sorry that's disgusting what transpired in our Front Office, and one of many gaffs that make me scratch my head wondering what the hell is going on in there. Disgusting. There's a professional way to do things, and it's become pretty apparent that our new Braves way does not include "professionalism". Our front office is full of a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites basking of the glory from 20 years ago...and no, I'm not including Bobby in that circle. Suspenders and Hart(less) and your scared ****less prodige I'm looking directly at you. Incompetance at it's finest right there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-18-2016), JohnAdcox (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It has to be a lie. I said this team would lose 100 games before the season started. There is no way any reputable baseball executive could have looked at this roster and thought they would be competitive.
    I hope it's a lie, because the alternative explanation is far more alarming, going forward. However, I also think it's a lie they need to quit telling, because at best it's an obvious fiction, and at worst someone might believe the Johns Several actually could be so mistaken and incompetent. I just don't see the utility in repeating this garbage; "building for tomorrow" is much easier to swallow.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-18-2016), Dalyn (05-18-2016), JohnAdcox (05-18-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    None of those "revelations" reflect well on the Three-Pointed John Creature, to be honest; but the mistaken assessment of how good the team would be is either (i) a lie they need to quietly quit telling or (ii) a pretty bald indictment of their abilities as assessors of major-league talent/viability.
    I'm pretty sure he was just feeding bullsh-t. Typical GM speak.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I don't agree with the way John Coppolella handled the Fredi dismissal, but the criticism that he is getting is very similar to the criticism Theo Epstein was getting in 2013 with the Cubs. Heck, Theo was roundly criticized for the way he fired Dale Sveum......he took him out for a beer to tell him he was firing him. The biggest difference is that Theo had what he did in Boston to stand on, whereas this is Coppy's first shot at running things.
    Last edited by KB21; 05-18-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Are you guys just underestimating how bad the team has been thus far or what? The team is on pace to go 39-123. That's farther from last year's team (67-95) than last year's team was from making the playoffs. That is what Hart meant by his comment, and I don't think it's an indictment of their player evaluation abilities that they didn't foresee Aybar, AJ and Jace being this bad with Inciarte being injured. Even if you factor in normal aging for AJ, think Aybar's 2015 was his new talent level, and expected Jace to take a step back, you still wouldn't predict them to be as bad as they've been. Hell, even Olivera has worked out worse even than I think most of his critics expected.

I think some of you need to let some of the FO's pretty obviously PR-oriented comments from the offseason go. We knew this team would be bad this year, they knew the team would be bad this year, but they couldn't just come out and say it. Thus far, the team has been appreciably worse than even the pessimists expected, but why does it matter? The reason the team has been so bad is because of people who won't be on the team in the future (except Olivera, that one is on the FO) are underperforming. Meanwhile, most of the team's core future assets are doing fine. Teheran has rebounded, Freddie is fine. Wisler and Folty and Mallex have taken a step forward. Albies and Swanson are killing the minors.

Obviously this team sucks to watch, but it's like you guys forgot the team was supposed to suck this year anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rawwr For This Useful Post:

KB21 (05-18-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    I think some of you need to let some of the FO's pretty obviously PR-oriented comments from the offseason go. We knew this team would be bad this year, they knew the team would be bad this year, but they couldn't just come out and say it. Thus far, the team has been appreciably worse than even the pessimists expected, but why does it matter? The reason the team has been so bad is because of people who won't be on the team in the future (except Olivera, that one is on the FO) are underperforming. Meanwhile, most of the team's core future assets are doing fine. Teheran has rebounded, Freddie is fine. Wisler and Folty and Mallex have taken a step forward. Albies and Swanson are killing the minors.

Obviously this team sucks to watch, but it's like you guys forgot the team was supposed to suck this year anyway.
    Why not? I guess we're just supposed to be able to parse whenever they're bull****ting? Isn't that basically a license to steal? Say whatever you want, but if it's horrifically wrong, it's just GM-speak, so you aren't accountable for it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-18-2016), jpx7 (05-18-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Why not? I guess we're just supposed to be able to parse whenever they're bull****ting? Isn't that basically a license to steal? Say whatever you want, but if it's horrifically wrong, it's just GM-speak, so you aren't accountable for it.
    If you don't think every official or representative of an organization is going to try to spin situations like this in the rosiest possible light, I don't know what to tell you.

And no, I don't think he needs to be "held accountable" for saying he hoped to the team would be competitive before spring training. It doesn't mean anything. The only thing he's accountable for is what happens on the field, and since we're in the middle of a rebuild, the moves he makes to make us better in the near future.
    Last edited by rawwr; 05-18-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    If you don't think every official or representative of an organization isn't going to try to spin situations like this in the rosiest possible light, I don't know what to tell you.

And no, I don't think he needs to be "held accountable" for saying he hoped to the team would be competitive before spring training. It doesn't mean anything. The only thing he's accountable for is what happens on the field, and since we're in the middle of a rebuild, the moves he makes to make us better in the near future.
    To me, what this front office has done to completely turn around a crappy farm system in just a little over a year's time is amazing. It off sets anything they did with the risks they took on some players for this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    If you don't think every official or representative of an organization is going to try to spin situations like this in the rosiest possible light, I don't know what to tell you.

But he didn't say "hoped"; he said "thought".

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

As JPX said, it wasn't about hope. It was portrayed as a belief.

You're portraying it as if I am expressing doubts in the progress of the rebuild.. I'm not. I'm objecting to, and have objected to, the current regime's communication strategy. In general, it's been patronizing bull****.

I'm not sure why you object to the mention of accountability. It speaks directly to the credibility of the communications we get from the FO.

I don't feel deceived by the front office. I feel patronized by their attempt to tell me that what is obviously chicken **** is actually chicken salad. I understand that you don't feel like this speaks to their credibility at all, but isn't it OK for me to differ?
    Last edited by Julio3000; 05-18-2016 at 04:27 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-18-2016), jpx7 (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Are you guys just underestimating how bad the team has been thus far or what? The team is on pace to go 39-123. That's farther from last year's team (67-95) than last year's team was from making the playoffs. That is what Hart meant by his comment, and I don't think it's an indictment of their player evaluation abilities that they didn't foresee Aybar, AJ and Jace being this bad with Inciarte being injured. Even if you factor in normal aging for AJ, think Aybar's 2015 was his new talent level, and expected Jace to take a step back, you still wouldn't predict them to be as bad as they've been. Hell, even Olivera has worked out worse even than I think most of his critics expected.

Im trying to figure out why you quoted my post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    As JPX said, it wasn't about hope. It was portrayed as a belief.

You're portraying it as if I am expressing doubts in the progress of the rebuild.. I'm not. I'm objecting to, and have objected to, the current regime's communication strategy. In general, it's been patronizing bull****.

I'm not sure why you object to the mention of accountability. It speaks directly to the credibility of the communications we get from the FO.

I don't feel deceived by the front office. I feel patronized by their attempt to tell me that what is obviously chicken **** is actually chicken salad. I understand that you don't feel like this speaks to their credibility at all, but isn't it OK for me to differ?
    Exactly. The whole thought/hoped distinction may seem minor, but I think it speaks to larger presentational issues with the management trident. Most observers, and—I'd have to think—all but the most casual and uncaring of fans, thought the Braves would be bad in 2016, even if they hoped they'd exceed those expectations*. So why not burnish the FO's credibility with those observers and fans, by saying something close to factual? (I don't know, something like: "We feel we have a strong base for the future, and—while we will never write-off an entire season—our principal goals for 2016 are to demonstrate the leaps forward we're confident will lead to great and sustained success in the near-future."). Instead, they seemed to try to burnish the turd, and now they're acting shocked (I say, shocked!) and saddened (womp-womp) when it turns out this turd is, you know, a big turd.

Again: it's just another example of this front office's nauseatingly supercilious tendency to buy into their own superiority instead of selling everyone else on their plan.

*I'm an exception. I hoped they'd be bad, and they've exceeded my expectations by being splendidly bad. I want the first pick, for one, and moreover I think they deserve an all-time bad season for abandoning the city of Atlanta.
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-18-2016 at 05:31 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-18-2016), CyYoung31 (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Never would I have seen the day where you're partially defending Fredi
    If that's partially defending Fredi, I guess I am too since I said the same thing when I read about that. There's a right way and wrong way to do things and that was embarrassing to read.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Ok, Fredi handled the situation in about as classy a way as it could be, I gotta say. Interesting details that I don't think have come up yet...

https://www.mail.com/sports/baseball...-stage-set11-3

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Ok, Fredi handled the situation in about as classy a way as it could be, I gotta say. Interesting details that I don't think have come up yet...

https://www.mail.com/sports/baseball...-stage-set11-3
    Is that real or satire?

I had no idea Fredi was divorced as someone posted his daughters twitter on here graduating from college I think it was.
    Forever Fredi

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Is that real or satire?

I had no idea Fredi was divorced as someone posted his daughters twitter on here graduating from college I think it was.
    Doesn't come across as satire to me at all. Seems real enough. Article came through the AP as well.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Wow, I was one of Fredi's biggest critics and wanted to see him gone in the worst way, but what a shameful shameful way to be dismissed. I'm sorry that's disgusting what transpired in our Front Office, and one of many gaffs that make me scratch my head wondering what the hell is going on in there. Disgusting. There's a professional way to do things, and it's become pretty apparent that our new Braves way does not include "professionalism". Our front office is full of a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites basking of the glory from 20 years ago...and no, I'm not including Bobby in that circle. Suspenders and Hart(less) and your scared ****less prodige I'm looking directly at you. Incompetance at it's finest right there.
    Where's the shameful part? They hired Fredi to do a job and they can fire him most anytime they want and any way they want. So in reality "the Braves way" is rather flexible, but I think most people, including Fredi, knew that already.