Thread: **** that doesn't make sense

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

**** that doesn't make sense

General random thread to vent.

I don't understand why in the US you need an active prescription to buy contact lenses. Don't get me wrong, I understand the purpose of going to the eye doctor. The current system gives you a 1 year expiration on your lens prescription. So after a year if you want to buy contact lenses you need to update your prescription. Which in some ways I get, but what I don't get is I can go online and buy 24 pairs of contact lenses. Which at a 6 month supply would be good for 12 years. Totally legal, and often times companies try to encourage you to buy more lenses as well offering breaks on 4+ boxes.

So why does it work this way? Why must I go to the eye doctor every year if I want to buy lenses now, but why am I able to buy 12 years worth of prescription? It's not like I get a prescription for Oxy and can just say "I want to buy the 12 year amount, I'm in the 30 days the doctor prescribed"

And if you want, you can order lenses from the UK, without a prescription and it's 100% legal. So basically, the current system is totally stupid, except for that time you really need lenses and haven't gotten to the eye doctor to update them because you lost your spares.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    You need the prescription because you don't want to use/put in contacts that irritate your eyes. It's a living bitch. All contact brands fit a little different and you want to make sure they fit well.

I'm sure the one year clause is because ones vision changes so often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You need the prescription because you don't want to use/put in contacts that irritate your eyes. It's a living bitch. All contact brands fit a little different and you want to make sure they fit well.

I'm sure the one year clause is because ones vision changes so often.
    But why can I buy so many?

Hypothetical scenario

I get a prescription on 5/20/15, and bought a year's worth then, today I can buy 24 packs and get 12 years worth meaning I could in theory go 13 years on one prescription. I don't do it, just seems silly to require a prescription but give options like that. I go every 2 years or so because my vision doesn't change much.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Why can't people walk correctly in this country? You drive on the right side of the road, you walk on the right side of the path. I too often encounter people walking straight at me, when they could easily pass me by if they were walking on the correct side (my left, their right). It seems like a minor thing, but its just one of those things I notice often and just how many awkward you go, I go, you go situations it causes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    Why can't people walk correctly in this country? You drive on the right side of the road, you walk on the right side of the path. I too often encounter people walking straight at me, when they could easily pass me by if they were walking on the correct side (my left, their right). It seems like a minor thing, but its just one of those things I notice often and just how many awkward you go, I go, you go situations it causes.
    I try to guess what direction they'll go because of this. Which leads to the juke battle to get by.