Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/22 SUNDAY MINORS FINAL ... M-Braves win in 16!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    With a lot of prospects graduating off the list I could see Acuna making it barely.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is our minor league record as a whole a concern? Seems we should be winning more games if we truly have great talent
    Our combined minor league record across the four levels is 74-100. All four teams are below .500. Does seem odd to be that poor having such a highly rated farm system.
    Last edited by skillet; 05-22-2016 at 07:42 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    While I am intrigued by Acuna, there is no way he will be in the top 100 mid season. Now if he he can continue to hit at Rome with a bit more power for the entire year, then maybe by this time next year he could crack the top 100.
    His lack of XBH is a knock, but people really liked him coming into this year, and he hasn't done anything to prove them wrong. I think some were just waiting to see if he could handle full season ball, and he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    Minter still killing it... 2ip also.
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-22-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Rico "Astudillo 2-7 (3-3 CS!)"

Nice game!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Acuna is a very good talent, likely to rise fast in the prospect lists.

After that I think we have a large group of good but not elite position prospects. In rough order of how I rank them: Yepez, Ruiz, Riley, Peterson, Isranel Wilson, Dyskra, Herbert, Davidson. Right now I would not project any one of them individually as an average to above average ML regular. Rather they profile as platoon or bench players. But given we have eight of them, I feel comfortable predicting one of them will make it as a regular. Just don't know which one at this point.

So I would predict that four regulars will emerge from the current group in the minors. Albies, Swanson, Acuna and one more.

We also have a third group out of which some useful bench players will emerge: Camargo, Lien, Ventura, Valenzuela, Salazar, Obregon, Jonathan Morales, Didder.

Finally, there are the international signings who have not played yet: Derian Cruz, Christian Pache, Juan Morales from last year; Maitan, Guttierez and others from this year.

I think there is a lot of positional talent. It is true that much of it is far from the majors. But in terms of overall positional talent, it is a strong group.
    I tend to agree with you. Albies and Swanson are top-notch, but I think a number of our second-tier guys have a chance. I would put Acuna as a high second-tier guy who borders on the top tier.

I am optimistic about: Ruiz, Dustin Peterson, Yepez, and Herbert

I am pessimistic about: Davidson.

I think the other guys you list could go either way. Too early to tell on Wilson, but if he rips early in Danville, he could easily be in Rome for the last month of the season. I'm really torn on Riley. His pluses are very strong, but so are his minuses.

Of the third group, I find Didder and Camargo the most intriguing. I believe Camargo will play in the big leagues. I'm not so sure on Didder, but I wish they would keep giving him some time in the IF.

I think it's important to remember that Ruiz, Dustin Peterson, and Davidson are all being pushed aggressively. A strong case can be made that they should have repeated their 2015 level, but the Braves thought otherwise. Dustin Peterson is holding up pretty well and Ruiz has slumped after a strong start. Davidson has his moments. Can't figure out the widespread pessimism.