Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catchers

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I know, I was just saying along with agreeing with you on who he is thinking about.
    Gotcha, he's always been a guy with a good stick just trying to find where he fits best in the field. Also, I believe (may be wrong here) he played with Carlos Correa at the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Gotcha, he's always been a guy with a good stick just trying to find where he fits best in the field. Also, I believe (may be wrong here) he played with Carlos Correa at the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy.
    The last time I saw him vs Mississippi I was thinking "Wow, he's really bad at blocking balls" because it seemed like there were passed balls or near passed balls every other inning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Man there was a time we had Mac and Salty and then drafted Flowers and Bethancourt. What happened to our catcher depth.
    There was also a time when we had 4 different All-Star catchers over a 20+ year period (Olson, Lopez, Estrada, McCann), and would have been 5 had Gattis not gotten injured right before the end of balloting in 2014.

It looked like with Gattis and Bethancourt coming up that we were just going to be strong at that position forever. Ironic that it is such a weakness now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-23-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    It's not just us, league wide catcher has really fallen off. between 2010 and 2012 18 catchers averaged 1.5 WAR a year and 15 averaged over a 100 wRC+, since then, (2013-2015) only 13 have averaged over 1.5 WAR a year and only 11 have a wRC+ over 100. and this season ( true it is early still) only 10 have a wRC+ over 100 (with at least 90 PA's) Many of these guys are older too ( Mac, Molina, Ianetta, Salty,Weiters and Lucroy are all 30 or older) MLB needs an influx of good young catchers or it might end up back in the 80's where it seemed like there were 5 good hitting catchers and everyone else had to make do with Bruce Benedict types

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravos4evr For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2016), The Chosen One (05-23-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The Braves have two guys that have them excited -- one by design, the other by surprise.

Lucas Herbert, from Allard's school, was drafted in the second round last year, hit a homer in his first pro game and was hurt in his third. Back healthy, he was made Rome's No. 1 catcher at the age of 19 and is throwing out baserunners at a 50 percent clip (if I'm reading his stat line right).

His Rome teammate, Jonathan Morales, is a year older, but is hitting over .300, has yet to make an error behind the plate (20 games) and is throwing out guys at around a 40 percent clip.

Oh, and Astudillo was 3-3 throwing out runners on Saturday.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    It's not just us, league wide catcher has really fallen off. between 2010 and 2012 18 catchers averaged 1.5 WAR a year and 15 averaged over a 100 wRC+, since then, (2013-2015) only 13 have averaged over 1.5 WAR a year and only 11 have a wRC+ over 100. and this season ( true it is early still) only 10 have a wRC+ over 100 (with at least 90 PA's) Many of these guys are older too ( Mac, Molina, Ianetta, Salty,Weiters and Lucroy are all 30 or older) MLB needs an influx of good young catchers or it might end up back in the 80's where it seemed like there were 5 good hitting catchers and everyone else had to make do with Bruce Benedict types
    I have a suspicion that a lot of this dropoff is due to the recent emphasis on pitch-framing when valuing catchers. I believe (although I might be mistaken), that the defensive component of fWAR does not take pitch framing ability into account. Assuming that's true, it could lead to a number of catchers being sought out for a skill that doesn't show up in the more common metrics we usually cite to compare players.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rawwr For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (05-23-2016), jpx7 (05-23-2016), The Chosen One (05-23-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    If there are a bunch of deadline moves like last year, I fully expect we'll be shopping for a decent catching prospect who is at least at the AA level. I think Herbert is going to be fine. He had a rough April but has been hitting better since.

Baseball-wide, catching has become a position that is heavily weighted toward defense. Growing up in the 1960s, half of baseball had an Evan Gattis type starting at catcher; guys who were suspect as fielders but could hit for either average or power (sometimes both). Teams carried three catchers, so it wasn't rare to see a new catcher late in the game if the team had a lead. But with the increasing stress on pitching effectiveness, the catching position has seemed to gravitate toward handling of pitchers and the elimination of mistakes. That works when you can replace the offense somewhere else on the field, but it can really put a dent in a team's offense.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-23-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    His numbers are going to come crashing down, but its an odd case. Everyone raved about him. Then after about a week in the majors, it turned into ex-braveitis while he was still on the team. Then they just shipped him off as an extra. He's the type of player you want to hang onto and see what you have, imo. He must have slept with Fredi's daughter or something.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I do think it's more-or-less just a strong stretch for Bethancourt (as others have said), and would think we gave up too early IF 50's point wasn't so telling in his particular situation. With the rebuild focused on young pitching, there's just no room for suspect defensive Catchers (you can toss A. J. aside since the majority of the guys in the system now won't ever throw to him) - especially since the perceived issue with CB's defense was his effort.

FWIW, the HR he hit Friday night was an absolute BOMB!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    His numbers are going to come crashing down, but its an odd case. Everyone raved about him. Then after about a week in the majors, it turned into ex-braveitis while he was still on the team. Then they just shipped him off as an extra. He's the type of player you want to hang onto and see what you have, imo. He must have slept with Fredi's daughter or something.
    Hold on thar. I'm not saying it was you in particular, but a ton of folks on this board (and I was not among them) were trashing Bethancourt with relish while he was a Brave for his poor plate discipline and lazy catching habits. He hits four dingers in his new locale and somehow his departure takes on Len Barker proportions in terms of a deal. Lots of revisionist history on the board. I was fine with keeping him and I was fine with trading him, but once the organization sours on a guy (and it appears the souring on Bethancourt was pretty much top-to-bottom), they get moved.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Hold on thar. I'm not saying it was you in particular, but a ton of folks on this board (and I was not among them) were trashing Bethancourt with relish while he was a Brave for his poor plate discipline and lazy catching habits. He hits four dingers in his new locale and somehow his departure takes on Len Barker proportions in terms of a deal. Lots of revisionist history on the board. I was fine with keeping him and I was fine with trading him, but once the organization sours on a guy (and it appears the souring on Bethancourt was pretty much top-to-bottom), they get moved.
    Im referring to how the organization spoke about him publicly. Or thru their mouthpiece, DOB. Not how fans talked about him.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    We also picked up Rodriguez from the Padres in the Bethancourt deal.

Was signed as an Intl FA in 2014 for $800k, write up on him sounds like a solid defensive player.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Im referring to how the organization spoke about him publicly. Or thru their mouthpiece, DOB. Not how fans talked about him.
    Gotcha. Something must have happened somewhere along the line.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wasn't here of course, but I was of the opinion that the team needed to commit to C-Beth and give him 2 years as the starting catcher to see if he would develop. Instead they'd play him, bench him, play him, Fredi would do his "hot hand" garbage and C-Beth never really got going (and when he did he got benched ) I think a better developmental plan for him would have allowed him to either sink or swim, but I think he needed time on tools at the MLB level.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Why is Morales still in A ball? I don't understand. He can catch in carolina. Why not challenge his bat when we are desperate for catching?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why is Morales still in A ball? I don't understand. He can catch in carolina. Why not challenge his bat when we are desperate for catching?
    Maybe we think he has more to work on before he moves up? His BB rate is pretty bad.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Maybe we think he has more to work on before he moves up? His BB rate is pretty bad.
    I agree with Russ.. he is 21 and can 'work' on that in High A. Herbert needs to catch everyday as does Morales.. They need to be separated.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I agree with Russ.. he is 21 and can 'work' on that in High A. Herbert needs to catch everyday as does Morales.. They need to be separated.
    I'll trust our organization to make the right moves here. There are a lot of things we just don't know behind the scenes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-23-2016)