Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potential for a once in a lifetime haul this summer for the minors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The reason why you will not see me criticize this front office that much for their moves is this. They set out to make sure they did not make a move that cost the team any of their capital towards the rebuild, which means they weren't going to sign anyone that cost them draft picks. So, you saw them take chances on some players like Gordon Beckham. The biggest mistake they made was trading a young left handed pitcher with a controlled salary for a 31 year old prospect who had not shown power in his small sample size. That was a bad move that I criticized at the time it happened. I did not like trading Alex Wood in that deal, and I still don't.
    i think that's about the only glaring, critical mistake that's been made to this point.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    i think that's about the only glaring, critical mistake that's been made to this point.
    I prefer to look at this from the 30,000 foot level rather than dissecting each move individually. The rebuild is going quite well, JMHO, and everyone knew there would be a couple of rough years along the way. The optimists, including me hoped they would strike gold quickly, and get better sooner rather than later, but I am not jumping off a cliff over a delay of a year or two because I see the future, and it looks very bright.

I don't see the value in harping on and on about Olivera, not trading Markakis soon enough, not signing Freese, etc. From the 30,000 foot level, I see better days ahead, and I like the looks of it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (05-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I prefer to look at this from the 30,000 foot level rather than dissecting each move individually. The rebuild is going quite well, JMHO, and everyone knew there would be a couple of rough years along the way. The optimists, including me hoped they would strike gold quickly, and get better sooner rather than later, but I am not jumping off a cliff over a delay of a year or two because I see the future, and it looks very bright.

I don't see the value in harping on and on about Olivera, not trading Markakis soon enough, not signing Freese, etc. From the 30,000 foot level, I see better days ahead, and I like the looks of it.
    I'm with ya.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-26-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Didn't hart do an interview where he said that we were hamstrung on the budget for this season due to moves like the swisher and bourn move. Which is why we didn't sign anyone for more than $2.5m....I have a feeling that was the budget due to plans to spend big on the draft and international signings
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

I hope no one is jumping off any cliffs right now. Even the most Posi Brave or the most Negi Brave Fan couldn't predict this level of fail. However, there are some really good positives.. Wisler, JT, Folty, Viz, and even Blair have shown me things that I like. then you have Mallex, Norris, Hunter who have done well in flashes.
    Also Ellis, Jenkins, Gant, and Sims all seem to be progressing their way up to the big club. Also excited to see if ManBan can stay healthy and it is fun to watch the Ozzie Swanson highlights.

the most disappointing is off course, the Aybar and AJ combination. I have been disappointed in Newcomb's ability to throw strikes.. and to a lessor extent, I hate that Adonis and Jace had to be sent down... but that might be a good thing.. not sure yet. Also, I hope someone will work with FF this off season to beat that shift.. it still looks like it gets to him.

But the best part of this year is our draft/int'l signings. Our system is already a top 5 system and we have the potential to add several pieces to this with a very strong draft position and ties to big int'l kids.. on top of that, we have several possible trade chips that could net us even more.

I like our future too..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-26-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

For me it has to do with commitment level to the rebuild and a true vision of what you want to do and how you expect to get there. Olivera, Markakis, AJ (twice), not trading Aybar, not aggressively shopping at least Teheran if not Freeman for multiple hole-filling pieces (assuming those deals can be had) in themselves are all things that might happen since some mistakes will be made. The issue I have is that some of the deals make no sense in the context of rebuilding. IF they had bargain shopped and added Freese you could see that in that he was an obvious bargain AND you might be able to move him for young pieces therefore adding to the rebuild. If he busts, all you've lost is short term investment. AJ doesn't make sense because you spent all this time trading for young pitching then add an offense first veteran catcher who's never been known to be good with young pitching. You add Markakis to an expensive long term deal instead of using those funds to bargain shop for short term commitment guys like a Freese.

From a 30,000 foot view, the rebuild isn't a straight line from point A to B. It's a convoluted knot of switchbacks and flyover bridges that you have to hope doesn't lead over a cliff along the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    For me it has to do with commitment level to the rebuild and a true vision of what you want to do and how you expect to get there. Olivera, Markakis, AJ (twice), not trading Aybar, not aggressively shopping at least Teheran if not Freeman for multiple hole-filling pieces (assuming those deals can be had) in themselves are all things that might happen since some mistakes will be made. The issue I have is that some of the deals make no sense in the context of rebuilding. IF they had bargain shopped and added Freese you could see that in that he was an obvious bargain AND you might be able to move him for young pieces therefore adding to the rebuild. If he busts, all you've lost is short term investment. AJ doesn't make sense because you spent all this time trading for young pitching then add an offense first veteran catcher who's never been known to be good with young pitching. You add Markakis to an expensive long term deal instead of using those funds to bargain shop for short term commitment guys like a Freese.

From a 30,000 foot view, the rebuild isn't a straight line from point A to B. It's a convoluted knot of switchbacks and flyover bridges that you have to hope doesn't lead over a cliff along the way.
    1) I wasn't a big fan of the Markakis contract, but I do see some logic in it: I'm of the belief that veteran leadership means something and that a strong clubhouse is important. You also couldn't throw three AAAA players in the outfield. I also wouldn't call $44M expensive, and this move has little to do wioth Freese.

2) Trade Aybar? When? Who knows what his value was?

3) I'm fine with the team not "aggressively shopping" Teheran or Freeman. Why shop them, not to mention "aggressively"? They will be plenty useful when you aim not to be terrible again. They are easily part of the long-term plan, and trading them to fill a void creates two voids, and the guys you're likely to get back are unproven guys who may not be able to fill any void. being upset about those two not being "aggressively" shopped is nitpicking, to me.

4) I guess you can be upset about David Freese, but as I said, I think he'd be a negative hitter in this lineup and wouldn't be much more than Gordon Beckham. Maybe he was holding out for an opportunity to join a contender. Being upset at pretty inconsequential moves such as not signing David Freese is more nitpicking IMO. The Freese obsession is nothing short of odd.

We've had two rough years but I'm feeling things will be quite different pretty quickly. We have a great farm, we're adding the #3 pick and a handful of great INTFA talent, and a top-3 pick again next year. That's the view from afar without breaking down every move and non-move (not that it's silly to do that, but to harp on not signing DAVID FREESE is just funny to me). We're going to have a slew of talent coming up thru this system really soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-26-2016)