Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ENOUGH. Call up Swanson, trade for a hitter...

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

ENOUGH. Call up Swanson, trade for a hitter...

No one, not even the biggest cynics on this board, thought the Braves would SUCK as badly as they have in the first two months of the season. Fredi is gone; that is one part of the master plan that has fallen into place so far.

But with mind-numbing events like Garcia's defense, Olivera's entire year, Aybar's defense and dining mishaps, Winkler's elbow (still makes me cringe), Inciarte's game two injury, this team is spiraling downward into what might be a 100-loss season or worse.

Enough. Is. Enough. I have an 86-year-old father who watches the Braves every night, and he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road. There is rebuilding, and there is mutally assured destruction. Every time the Marlins tore down their team, they loaded their system with good young players and PLAYED THEM. We seem to want to acquire as many prospects as we can and no one wants to start the "clock ticking."

We need to start sorthing things about. Granted, we've already found Blair wanting, Gant rushed, but Perez, Kelly, Folty ready for prime time. We've found a third baseman, but reasons beyond my understanding have led to them playing d'Arnaud only occasionally. Frenchy's comeback has been all we hoped.

I want these things, and soon: Trade Teheran for the best hitter available; no more prospects, unless it's Andrew Benintendi. Trade Viz if and only if the return is there.

Bring up Swanson. Put him at shortstop. Leave him there. He's old enough and a savvy enough to deal with the ups and downs. Whatever needs to be done with Aybar, do it.

The player I wanted to target is Puig, but I will be honest if not politically correct: I have major reservations after Olivera and Garcia. Now, the person I want to target is Jay Bruce.

Time to quit being the National League's b***h.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (05-27-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Sorry my good colleague, I'm all in for the #1 pick in next year's draft.

And I believe most of us hoped the Braves would have never sniffed at Francouer like they did Neck.
    Forever Fredi

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Time to quit being the National League's b***h.
    Hate to break it to you, but neither trading Julio nor bringing up (and rushing the hell out of) Swanson is going to stop this from happening this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but neither trading Julio nor bringing up (and rushing the hell out of) Swanson is going to stop this from happening this year.
    But I want any of Swason's growing pains to be OUT of his system.

And Donald, they have already wrapped up a top three draft pick for next year. If they play .500 ball the rest of the year, they are 71-91 (before Thursday's loss).

Swanson is older than Carlos Correa and Corey Seager. His high level of college play counts as seasoning in my book. He is a born leader who does not need to be coddled. He will not have stars in his eyes!
    Last edited by rico43; 05-27-2016 at 01:12 AM.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

And Donald, they have already wrapped up a top three draft pick for next year. If they play .500 ball the rest of the year, they are 71-91 (before Thursday's loss).

Swanson is older than Carlos Correa and Corey Seager. His high level of college play counts as seasoning in my book. He is a born leader who does not need to be coddled. He will not have stars in his eyes!
    Who is Donald?

Anyways, I want #1 pick, not #2 or #3.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016), Dalyn (05-27-2016), JohnAdcox (05-27-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Don't bring up Swanson and don't trade Julio
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016), JohnAdcox (05-27-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Why? So we can waste one of his controlled years on a 2017 that will likely be almost as bad as this year and at best will be a .500 team? Our offense will be just as crappy next year with a seasoned Swanson as it will if he is called up in June. And without Julio our pitching isn't going to be all that hot either.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016), bravos4evr (05-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Why? So we can waste one of his controlled years on a 2017 that will likely be almost as bad as this year and at best will be a .500 team? Our offense will be just as crappy next year with a seasoned Swanson as it will if he is called up in June. And without Julio our pitching isn't going to be all that hot either.
    Control years are not, and will never be, an issue with Swanson. He will be the next franchise player, who will be paid accordingly.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I also have to remind people, these players' agents aren't stupid either. They're gonna inform the player when a team is trying to suppress or stiff their client by trying to hold out or an extra year. The Cubs FO was getting heat from fans for trying to keep Kris Bryant off the opening day roster until the super two when everyone knew he was clearly ready. It doesn't show much loyalty or commitment to the player if you call them up after a deadline to keep them for "cheaps".

Most of these guys will be in their late 20s waiting for the one big contract. In Dansby's case we could control him until his 30s when he's leaving his prime. He may not get as big of a contract as say his age 28-29 year.

Sure it's great in theory for the FO to just maximize control and dollars for the length of player's prime. But you're dealing with human emotions here not being quantified.

Andruw was very contract friendly for us. We held him long enough just before he exited his prime and became a part time player. Chipper as well. I'm sure it really had a lot to do with the way the organization treated both. Purposely waiting for a deadline to call someone up that is pretty much ready is just telling the player we value keeping you on a leash. In Swanson's case I didn't mind him starting the year in minors same as Ozzie. But both appear to be equal if not the better options than our current middle infield at the ML level. Since we're close to the super two I don't mind keeping them down a little bit longer but both should be here by August 1st if they continue to rake. If they're both not here then the organization is cheaping out. Hart said the day after Fredi's firing that their service time situations had nothing to do with them being called up now or later. I would hope they'd wait until after the S2 deadline.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    even with that being said and what not

there is ZERO reason to bring him up this year. none, not one real reason to rush him to use this year

and i really don't get why soo many are down to trade Julio. you better blow the doors off to get him

he is 25 and signed through the 2019 season. gtfoh with the trade talk as if we need to dump a 25 year old with talent that is signed long term
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016), jpx7 (05-27-2016), Tapate50 (05-27-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    even with that being said and what not

there is ZERO reason to bring him up this year. none, not one real reason to rush him to use this year

and i really don't get why soo many are down to trade Julio. you better blow the doors off to get him

he is 25 and signed through the 2019 season. gtfoh with the trade talk as if we need to dump a 25 year old with talent that is signed long term
    I think Swanson is a different case than Albies. He's older and faced more levels of competition than Oz. So I'm not opposed to bringing him up before Oz.

On the JT thing I'd trade him if you got even half or 2/3 of the Miller deal. We probably won't fleece anyone again after the Miller deal by we can definitely do almost as well with JT's contract.
    Forever Fredi

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Can't force it.

We have two chips left bc we won't trade ff. Tehran and viz. they have to be maximized or kept.

This team wants to win soon. At some point you have to keep some of the few legit mlb players you have.

Swanson is going to come up with roster expansion IMO. I think he can handle it. I think the braves think he'll take an extension. I also think they want to stagger him and albies if possible.

You have to wait until after the draft IMO and see if you get a college bat.

I think you need 2/3 of the Shelby deal for jt. I think viz req a haul like the phils got. Otherwise try again at winter meetings.

Remember worst to first....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Logic and cold calculation not emotion should drive these decisions.

-----------your friend Spock

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016), bravos4evr (05-27-2016), JohnAdcox (05-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Control years are not, and will never be, an issue with Swanson. He will be the next franchise player, who will be paid accordingly.
    Remains to be seen.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Granted, we've already found Blair wanting, Gant rushed, but Perez, Kelly, Folty ready for prime time.
    Maybe. Maybe not with all these guys. Need a bigger sample.

Kelly?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016), jpx7 (05-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We've found a third baseman, but reasons beyond my understanding have led to them playing d'Arnaud only occasionally.
    Maybe. Probably not.

Small sample of major league at bats this year says maybe.

Large sample from the minors says probably not.

Beckham is more likely to sustain a decent performance the rest of this year. Snit gives indications of understanding this.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Don't bring up Swanson and don't trade Julio
    I'm with you!!!!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-27-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Lol.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    With all due respect to your father, we need to rush our prospect development and trade away important assets because he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (05-27-2016), goldfly (05-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    they would be nuts to trade Tehran for anyone not named Harper,Trout or McCutchen.