Thread: Current starting staff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts

Current starting staff

228.2 ip 91 er = 3.59 era

Throw out Blair... 201.2 ip 71 er = 3.18 era

Williams and Julio are the oldest ones at 25.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    They've exceeded my expectations so far. But I don't have the same degree of confidence in Perez and Folty as I do in Teheran and to some extent Wisler. I think the rest of this season will provide very important information about those two.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-31-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Good early returns. There will be peaks and valleys in terms of performance, but once things get leveled out, this looks like a pretty good foundation. Blair needs to miss a few more bats, but once he gets to that, he'll be alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The ages and relative inexperience of those guys does suggest that their production is likely to increase next year over whatever they generate this year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I have always been in the we need to maximize JT by trading him. But the more I play around with the 2017 and 2018 starting rotation, the more I like the idea of keeping him. There are just too many 'ifs' and 'hopefully' to know for sure. What concerns me a little is Coppi's comments about the days of trading guys like JT for prospects is over. If we trade JT, we will not be ready to compete in 2017. I would rather have a group of prospects near ready as opposed to a MLB bat that is just using a contract year on another bad team. I feel there are two options here..
    1. Keep JT and get some bats else where and try to compete starting next year
    2. trade JT and get prospects and try to compete 2018..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I have always been in the we need to maximize JT by trading him. But the more I play around with the 2017 and 2018 starting rotation, the more I like the idea of keeping him. There are just too many 'ifs' and 'hopefully' to know for sure. What concerns me a little is Coppi's comments about the days of trading guys like JT for prospects is over. If we trade JT, we will not be ready to compete in 2017. I would rather have a group of prospects near ready as opposed to a MLB bat that is just using a contract year on another bad team. I feel there are two options here..
    1. Keep JT and get some bats else where and try to compete starting next year
    2. trade JT and get prospects and try to compete 2018..
    I think he just meant that we're no longer looking to be sellers. He did say if we got an overwhelming package, that would change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I am really excited about the rotation. Wisler has cemented his spot in the rotation. Folty is really close to that point. Blair I have always seen as a #4 starter. Despite some hiccups in the majors I think he will be ready to fill that spot next year. Perez I like as a 6th starter. Ideal scenario for me is aquiring an ace and pushing everyone down a spot. We also desperately need a lefty in the rotation.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Wisler has been a solid #3 type.

Julio minus a couple starts has been a TOR level type.

Folty has ace level stuff but obviously needs to be more consistent.

Perez is a solid backend guy.

Blair not so sure but has shown positive signs.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I agree with you on everyone but Perez, I think we need to move him in a package ASAP before reality sets in and he no longer has any value at all.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Wisler has been a solid #3 type.

Julio minus a couple starts has been a TOR level type.

Folty has ace level stuff but obviously needs to be more consistent.

Perez is a solid backend guy.

Blair not so sure but has shown positive signs.
    Blair is being sold short in this thread. Throw out that one start and he's been great for a rookie.

trade JT for some hitting if you can. Wisler, Folty, Blair, and Perez all look right now like they could be ok if not excellent next year. Behind then you have all of the pitchers you based your future on. They'll need to play to so we can see what's there. If somebody like Gant could come in with Newcomb next year and show well, they'll really be ok and lookout below for some trading of all of this young pitching.

Anyway, Wilser is showing that he will be the next Teheren, making JT even more expendable than he already would have been. Besides, what good is having Julio pitch well every year but be unable to win more than 10 games a year because his team can't score or defend for him?

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    Blair is being sold short in this thread. Throw out that one start and he's been great for a rookie.

trade JT for some hitting if you can. Wisler, Folty, Blair, and Perez all look right now like they could be ok if not excellent next year. Behind then you have all of the pitchers you based your future on. They'll need to play to so we can see what's there. If somebody like Gant could come in with Newcomb next year and show well, they'll really be ok and lookout below for some trading of all of this young pitching.

Anyway, Wilser is showing that he will be the next Teheren, making JT even more expendable than he already would have been. Besides, what good is having Julio pitch well every year but be unable to win more than 10 games a year because his team can't score or defend for him?
    depends on if we can get good value for him. Hey if someone wants to D-Backs us for JT, then sure! But I see no hurry to just "put him on the market" and take the best deal that comes. He has plenty of control left, eventually someone will either cave in, or we keep him and let him produce value for us directly.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    I agree with you on everyone but Perez, I think we need to move him in a package ASAP before reality sets in and he no longer has any value at all.
    I agree actually, im not as high on him as others on the board are.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post

I mean i agree but i wouldnt trade JT just to trade him.

Gotta get some value and from Coppy's comments, at least it seems he wants MLB ready players back, presumably a hitter/hitters back.

But if the offense can get a little better next year as well as the bullpen, team could get around the 75-80 win mark, lot of losses this year because the offense is so damn bad.