Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garcia

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

Garcia

I am starting to believe in Garcia. I think he could hold the fort at third, while the team spends money in other areas to get us better faster. He could be the 3b on our next winner. By winner I mean +.500. Thoughts???

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-06-2016), JohnAdcox (08-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Adonis is a good bench bat in my opinion. I dont want to plan on him starting a lot but with injuries he probably will get a lot of at bats anyways.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Could Garcia and Ruiz platoon next year with us spending money on other positions?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Could Garcia and Ruiz platoon next year with us spending money on other positions?
    I could see that. The defense has been better.

But I'm thinking that platoon has a 750 ops or so. It's not going to move the needle for they want to win.

But maybe it keeps Ruiz out of super 2 and protects hit. Try to pump up garcias value so you can dump Garcia and then give Ruiz a shot this time nxt yr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I would get someone like Freese and keep Garcia as his backup. And keep an open mind about playing time. If Garcia outplays Freese, expand his playing time. Garcia would also provide some outfield depth.

As for Ruiz, I would start him out in AAA next year. But again keep an open mind. If he has a couple strong months, call him up to the majors and give him some playing time against righties.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-07-2016 at 08:39 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Kinda get the feeling that the answer to that is tied up in several other decisions that won't be made until the Winter Meetings personally. So many potential scenarios that I'd imagine that's down on the list at this point...

1.) When it becomes more obvious that Cespedes is going to opt-out of his deal with the Mutts, does Dombrowski realize that altering course and trading Moncada for Julio suddenly make more sense than he realized? Cespedes steps in at DH to replace Ortiz and plays some in LF to help keep him healthy, and they get Julio's cheap contract.

2.) Does Gourriel come up down the stretch and become Houston's "answer", making a Bregman for Julio swap something that Luhnow decides is worth making? It's hard to see them finding enough ABs for all those bats even with the DH, and Gourriel and Bregman would be somewhat redundant players - how many players can one Manager use regularly as super-subs? They've got plenty of talent coming by the time Gourriel or Correa would become free-agents in Miguelangel Sierra, Jonathan Arauz, Freudis Nova, and Yorbin Ceuta.

I'd expect either of those things happening would suddenly have Coppy shopping both Garcia and Ruiz. Then you've got to answer the question of just how much pressure is he getting to be competitive (on whatever level) as early as next year? With LF "squared away", is the Mac talk really going to be more than talk this winter? Even if it's not, would a Flowers/Castro platoon be enough to make you competitive with a Garcia/Ruiz platoon, or do you have to go get something better at one of those spots? Certainly an interesting question. Like everyone else who's mentioned it, I'd hate to see us go get a Desmond/Turner/Prado or Ramos on a 3+ year deal if they don't have to. Again, I'd imagine that decision will be based on what we see out of Adonis and Rio over the next few weeks.

I know the numbers guys will point out that there's no such thing as "protection", and that's a discussion for somewhere else. I'm guessing that I'm not the only person who's noticed an entirely different air around the offense this week though - mirage or not. The production hasn't come from Freddie or Kemp - yet - but everyone else seems MUCH more comfortable doing what they're good at now that there's some semblance of a threat behind Freddie. Could the offense be successful with only two guys they can count on to hit the ball over the fence? Who knows? If you surround them with the Garcias, Markakises, Inciartes, etc. roping 2Bs all over the place and a couple of guys (Garcia, Flowers, Castro, etc.) occasionally running into one, maybe. With the added element of speed that we haven't had for so long in Ender, Peterson, Mallex, Albies, and Swanson, it should be much easier to "keep the line moving" than it has in the past.

I've said for a while now that the options available (regardless of which way they go) this winter lines up really well with the holes we have - and I really don't think it's that much of a stretch to see substantial improvement as the new park opens. Even if you don't think a Garcia/Ruiz platoon or a Flowers/Castro platoon will hack it, you won't have to play at the top of the market to suddenly become a much stronger offensive team - particularly with Olivera's money off the books and right-handed thump behind Freeman.

I've been tooting Jaime Garcia's horn as the perfect fit for our rotation for a while now, and he definitely didn't do much to change my mind about that last night. If they could go get Garcia and Greg Holland as under the radar signings and make Ramos their "splurge" sign, I think the 2017 team could be pretty interesting - even with Adonis and Rio splitting time at 3B...

CF- Inciarte, SS- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, LF Kemp, RF- Markakis, C- Ramos, 3B- Garcia/Ruiz, SP, 2B- Albies

Rotation: Julio, Folty, Garcia, Wisler, ???

Pen: Vizcaino, Holland, Simmons, Withrow, Cabrera, Minter, Krol, Cervenka, Marksberry, Paco, etc.

Bench: Flowers, Mallex, Ruiz/Garcia, Peterson (plenty of flexibility to only need a 4-man bench)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Bench: Flowers, Mallex, Ruiz/Garcia, Peterson (plenty of flexibility to only need a 4-man bench)
    Switch Mallex and Markakis, and I like it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Garcia should not be a starter in Atlanta past 2016. He'd be a nice bench bat next year and look at him year by year for that, but his age is not in his favor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Garcia should not be a starter in Atlanta past 2016. He'd be a nice bench bat next year and look at him year by year for that, but his age is not in his favor.
    SSS I know, but here's his last 30 games...

.303/.336/.479

I wanna see how he finishes, but he could be good as a platoon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-06-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Even that he is playing very good the Braves should trade him. He probably is not in the Braves future plans. We need to continue trading this players that they can continue bringing players with some kind of very upside future for our franchise.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Garcia is not a starting caliber player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yeah, his WAR is -0.2. His dWAR is -0.8... Anyone know if that number has gotten better since he came back up? Seems to my untrained eye that Garcia has been much better defensively of late

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I know this is likely to end at any moment, but Garcia is doing a damn good impression of an MLB starting 3b the last 4-5 weeks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-06-2016), clvclv (08-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I know this is likely to end at any moment, but Garcia is doing a damn good impression of an MLB starting 3b the last 4-5 weeks
    I've been a Garcia skeptic, but he really deserves some praise for his play of late. Hard not to love the effort he's shown defensively. Now that he's playing solid 3B, his bat can play at the MLB-level. He's not a guy you plan around as a 2017 starter, but his play (and the presence of Jace and Ruiz) will make it easier for the Braves to focus on C and SP as higher offseason priorities.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Whenever the Braves plan to compete they need a new player at 3b. Garcia is not the answer to any roster spot other than the 24th/25th man on the bench. He is the definition of a AAAA replacement player, and the roster filled with players like him is precisely why the Braves are on pace to lose 100+ games.

The fact the Braves needed to "see what they had" with Garcia when a player like Freese was available for $3b is a blunder they better not repeat.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-06-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The fact the Braves needed to "see what they had" with Garcia when a player like Freese was available for $3b is a blunder they better not repeat.
    Agreed. I think the Braves will add a 3B, but just a mid-level stop gap like Freese. If Garcia / Jace / Ruiz had gone down in flames this year, I could see them trying to make a bigger splash and outbidding the big boys for one of the free agents with a QO. Seems less likely now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Even that he is playing very good the Braves should trade him. He probably is not in the Braves future plans. We need to continue trading this players that they can continue bringing players with some kind of very upside future for our franchise.
    Really? What happened to your take that the Harrell and Alvarez and the Cervenka trades were terrible?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Whenever the Braves plan to compete they need a new player at 3b. Garcia is not the answer to any roster spot other than the 24th/25th man on the bench. He is the definition of a AAAA replacement player, and the roster filled with players like him is precisely why the Braves are on pace to lose 100+ games.

If you'd take a breath, Freese would blow his load. Honestly.

If he's as good as you think he is, somebody's going to give him 4 years and $60 million this winter. How would that be a bigger "blunder" than signing any of several other players this offseason? You keep screaming about how bad an idea Desmond would be because his BABIP is high - you're aware that Freese's is currently .363 and he's only had ONE season with a BABIP lower than .320, no? He'd quickly replace CJ as Lord BABIP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If you'd take a breath, Freese would blow his load. Honestly.

If he's as good as you think he is, somebody's going to give him 4 years and $60 million this winter. How would that be a bigger "blunder" than signing any of several other players this offseason? You keep screaming about how bad an idea Desmond would be because his BABIP is high - you're aware that Freese's is currently .363 and he's only had ONE season with a BABIP lower than .320, no? He'd quickly replace CJ as Lord BABIP.
    I have never once stated Desmond would be a bad signing you twit. I think he will be too expensive for the Braves at this point in time though.

Freese is an average MLB player being paid $3m. Garcia is a well below average player and everyone but the Braves knew it.

I don't even know what point you are trying to make. Do you think Garcia is good? Do you think Freese is not average? Do you think Freese is not playing on a bargain contract?

Or do you just see that I posted something and spout off the first moronic thing that pops into your head?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Freese has a .361 BABIP this year compared to .340 for his entire career. He is a high BABIP hitter. Just enjoying a little luck this year. But nothing extraordinary compared to his career marks.

If we can get him on a two-year deal for around 6M per year, it would be a good signing. He and Garcia can share third, with the precise allocation of playing time to be determined by performance.