Thread: 2017 Roster Roulette (good place to stick all the possible roster ideas )

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

2017 Roster Roulette (good place to stick all the possible roster ideas )

With the draft over, INt free agency looming and trades on the horizon I thought it was a good time to post a roster thread for everyone to discuss all the scenarios for what the team might look like come 2017.

deadline move

Braves trade Teheran,Sims and Viz to Red Sox for Benintendi, Devers, Chavis and Swihart

off season moves

Braves make a 3 way trade sending FF to the Rangers, Prince Fielder and Touki Toussaint to the Yankees, and Brian McCann, Chase Headley, Joey Gallo, Dillon Tate, Dustin Fowler and Tyler Wade to the Braves (plus $18m from the Yankees)

Braves do the usual "lightning in a bottle" stab at a couple of veteran arms on minor league deals hoping one sticks.

Lineup

Mallex-CF/LF
    Inciarte-CF
    Swanson-SS
    Gallo- 1b
    Mac- C
    Headley- 3b
    Neck-RF
    P
    Albies-3b

rotation:

Wisler
    Folty
    Newcomb
    veteran signee/traded target
    Ellis/Bair/....??? (profit?)

NOW, this team is not about winning in 2017, it's about value long term. we grab 4 good prospects by taking Headley and Mac off the Yankee's hands, yet also fill some gaps short term. the money they send makes it all work out and tho the opening day lineup is "meh" any return to form by Inciarte could get him gone and clear room for Benintendi in left or right. Markakis is probably a lost cause,so we are gonna have to eat that.... sadly

The team could use a starter, but giving the new guys an entire season to take their whoopins would help a lot, and come 2018, we still have a lot of cash left for a much better free agent class and a TON of prospects who have either graduated or are preparing to.

thought? opinions? pity comments?

feel free to do your own below!

***Original thread title belongs to another site. We don't need to steal from them*** (rico)
    Last edited by rico43; 06-13-2016 at 07:45 PM.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think they will try to trade for a catcher, with free agents like Wieters and Ramos as plan B. I would engage the Yankees and find out their price for Sanchez or McCann.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I did a 3 man deal above where we get Mac back. It entails us trading freeman to the rangers, fielder to yanks, and our taking on headley too (and they throw in some cash, I may have involved too much cash tho)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    One thing to remember about the Yankees is they have a good young first baseman who played well in the majors last year but is out for the year due to shoulder surgery. Not sure they will be in the market for a first baseman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    One thing to remember about the Yankees is they have a good young first baseman who played well in the majors last year but is out for the year due to shoulder surgery. Not sure they will be in the market for a first baseman.
    who am I forgetting for them? I was just thinking of Tex leaving, Headley being dead money and their desire to shed some $$$ might make them amicable to a payroll dump type of move where they add a few prospects but not their top 2 or 3.

EDIT: ahhh, Bird, forgot about him. well, let's see how is shoulder is come the winter?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Benintendi is a good and all, but I'm wondering if he'd be a priority for us seeing we already have two guys who can play CF. If I'm talking to the Red Sox, Devers is on top of the list because I don't think Moncada will be on the market. I'd ask for Moncada first (of course).

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Benintendi isnt a guy i'd target.

But i do think we'll try to trade Julio for a haul this winter or the deadline.

Freeman i dont think we trade, value is too low.

Viz makes sense to trade at the deadline with the need for RP's.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    thought? opinions? pity comments?
    I think your Red Sox trade makes sense, I like the framework.

The second trade makes no sense at all for the Yanks, or for the Rangers either really. If the Rangers are trading Gallo it's going to be for pitching, as that is their need, not offense.

And beyond that I hope we don't trade Freeman right now, his value is at an all time low. We should have traded him to the Astros along with Inciarte or Viz this past offseason and gotten a haul, now we have to wait and see if either can build up their value again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I think your Red Sox trade makes sense, I like the framework.

The second trade makes no sense at all for the Yanks, or for the Rangers either really. If the Rangers are trading Gallo it's going to be for pitching, as that is their need, not offense.

And beyond that I hope we don't trade Freeman right now, his value is at an all time low. We should have traded him to the Astros along with Inciarte or Viz this past offseason and gotten a haul, now we have to wait and see if either can build up their value again.
    Rangers might be willing to do that to get rid of Fielder. I admit i was dreaming with Gallo, but i think a deal could be made. I had forgotten about Bird for the Yankees too..so my bad there.

I don't really think Freeman gets traded, I just wanted to post some creative possibilities to get the thread going!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Preliminary roster as I see it if we made no move

Teheran
    Wisler
    Foltynewicz
    Blair
    Perez

Vizcaino
    Cervenka
    Simmons
    Withrow
    Marksberry
    Jenkins
    Rodriguez
    Gant - Yes i knows this is 8.

Flowers
    Hopefully not AJ

Freeman
    Albies
    Swanson
    Garcia
    Ruiz
    D'Arnaud
    Castro

Mallex
    Markakis
    Inciarte
    Probably Francoeur

Now who I would target.

Aroldis Chapman - I know it wont happen but I would go as much as 6 years 100 million. I like Vizcaino but our options are limited to improve the team and I think Chapman is a good bet health wise. Maybe he has TJ once during the contract but other than that I think he will stay healthy through the deal. I would also offer Vizcaino a 6 year 36 million deal to stay long term as the setup man and occasional closer. With the injuries he has had I would think he would jump at some financial security. 6 years is key on these deals because they would come off the books when Albies/Swanson hit free agency.

Jonathan Lucroy- Not just the bat. He is good with young pitchers. I know everyone likes trading for rental players about as much as hemorrhoids but I think we will make a deal for him with some hope of signing a longer team deal.

Ryan Braun - Another possibility in my opinion. Braun fits our needs exactly. Gettng both Braun and Lucroy would make our offense respectable again. Braun is signed for 4 more years plus a team option for a 5th which is perfect for the Braves. You could argue he isnt worth his contract but we dont exactly have the best options to throw money at other than Braun.

Yoenis Cespedes - He has an opt out after this year and unless he really ****s the bed he will use it to get a longer term deal. Might also have the added benefit of making the Mets a worse team if we sign him away from them. Fits our needs pretty well. Cannon for an arm would be an asset in the field too. I expect he will get a contract like 4 years 100 million to 6 years 150 million.

Martin Prado - We could do a lot worse at 3B... and LF..... and 2B..... and SS. He plays too many positions to not be an upgrade at atleast one of them.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    So let me get this straight. The Yankees would take on Prince Fielder's corpse, give up 2 reasonably productive veterans in Headley and McCann, and give up two solid prospects while taking on $54 million in additional salary to get Touki?! Even if you think it's realistic to guarantee McCann's option will vest, that is still an additional $39 million in salary the Yankees would be adding.
    Last edited by mqt; 06-13-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I've done this a number of times and people are probably tired of seeing it, but...

Freeman: IF he is hitting .280 with 15 HR at the deadline, he probably has some good value. I'm not sure if he can do it and if not, the Braves are probably stuck with him - which might not be the worst thing in the world. Right now, I will assume he get's it together and has good value as one of the top power hitters available at the deadline. From that view, their are a number of possibilities, but the one I like best is:

Freeman and Inciarte to Cleveland for RF Frazier, 1B Bobby Bradley and C Francisco Mejia (Braves send money to cover Freeman's salary for the rest of the year)

Inciarte: See above.

Markakis: 1B Trey Mancini - Baltimore

Teheran: Again, another player with a number of possible destinations. I would probably go with a deal to Texas.

Teheran and Viz to Texas for 3B Gallo, OF Brinson, OF Ryan Cordell

2B Albies
    SS Swanson
    RF Frazier
    1B Mancini then Bradley
    3B Gallo
    LF Brinson
    C Flowers
    CF Smith

SP: Wisler, Folty, Blair, Newcomb, Veteran

RP: Simmons, Withrow, Banuelos, Krol, Cervenka, Ogando

Not a great 2017 team, very, very young. BUT, after 2017 you supplement from the FA class from names like Moustakas, Hosmer, Martinez, Cain, Fowler, LuCroy, Ianetta, Arrieta, Darvish, Eovaldi, Gonzalez, Wade Davis, Jake McGee...

And you still have your pipeline intact and expanded with early picks in the 17 and 18 draft, first in line waiver claims and rule 5 opportunities and International signings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    HH that team I think would surprise a lot of people.

Teheran, Viz, and Inciarte to Houston for Bregman and Tucker

2017 lineup

2b Albies
    SS Swanson
    1b Freeman
    3b Bregman
    RF Tucker
    LF Markakis
    C Flowers
    Cf Mallex

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    HH that team I think would surprise a lot of people.

Teheran, Viz, and Inciarte to Houston for Bregman and Tucker

2017 lineup

2b Albies
    SS Swanson
    1b Freeman
    3b Bregman
    RF Tucker
    LF Markakis
    C Flowers
    Cf Mallex
    I like Bregman a lot and could see maybe getting him IF Houston was contending. But, I think they see him as the 3B slotted next to Correa. Can't blame them, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    So let me get this straight. The Yankees would take on Prince Fielder's corpse, give up 2 reasonably productive veterans in Headley and McCann, and give up two solid prospects while taking on $54 million in additional salary to get Touki?! Even if you think it's realistic to guarantee McCann's option will vest, that is still an additional $39 million in salary the Yankees would be adding.
    Headley is awful, and there for 2 more seasons, Mac is productive, but they don't need to pay him with the future their team is looking at.

I thought Prince's deal was over after 2018.. so my bad there. Like I said, I was just trying to get things going for the roster thread anyway, that deal was just kinda thrown together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I like Bregman a lot and could see maybe getting him IF Houston was contending. But, I think they see him as the 3B slotted next to Correa. Can't blame them, I guess.
    He would definitely be hard to pry away. Houston is only 5 games back so if they put a little streak together then they could be right back at the top.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Trades:
    Braves get Myers San Diego gets sims, Ruiz and hursh. SD is a year behind us in their rebuild so they need guys for the 2018/2019 timeframe. They will likely be without Cashner and Ross after this year so with shields gone they lose all but two of their starters that began this season they need good near mlb ready pitching prospects. The only pitching prospects with higher ceilings in their system are a few years away. Ruiz allows them to trade solar the while he has value.

Braves get Profar, Rangers get viz, Norris and Beckam. They get a good backend bullpen piece, Norris can spot start for any injuries and move to the pen for the playoffs.

Sign Ramos in the offseason 4 yrs at 48 million.

Lineup:
    Mallex, Profar, Myers, freeman, Ramos, Inciarte, Swanson, Albeis.
    Rotation:
    Tehran
    Wiser
    Folty
    Blair
    Gant

Bullpen:
    Simmons
    Withrow
    Winkler
    Cervenka
    Perez
    Karol
    FA signing- 5 million per year contract

Subs- flowers, jace, Castro, Olivera

This team would still be under $80 million for the 25 man roster. The key would be for the 3 new position players to stay healthy.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theduke81 View Post
    Trades:
    Braves get Myers San Diego gets sims, Ruiz and hursh. SD is a year behind us in their rebuild so they need guys for the 2018/2019 timeframe. They will likely be without Cashner and Ross after this year so with shields gone they lose all but two of their starters that began this season they need good near mlb ready pitching prospects. The only pitching prospects with higher ceilings in their system are a few years away. Ruiz allows them to trade solar the while he has value.

Braves get Profar, Rangers get viz, Norris and Beckam. They get a good backend bullpen piece, Norris can spot start for any injuries and move to the pen for the playoffs.

Sign Ramos in the offseason 4 yrs at 48 million.

Lineup:
    Mallex, Profar, Myers, freeman, Ramos, Inciarte, Swanson, Albeis.
    Rotation:
    Tehran
    Wiser
    Folty
    Blair
    Gant

Bullpen:
    Simmons
    Withrow
    Winkler
    Cervenka
    Perez
    Karol
    FA signing- 5 million per year contract

Subs- flowers, jace, Castro, Olivera

This team would still be under $80 million for the 25 man roster. The key would be for the 3 new position players to stay healthy.
    intriguing.. I have always been a Myers fan.. also, did you just cut Neck?

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sorry, neck ogando JJ and Garcia traded for prospects