Thread: Tommy Hanson: Shattered Dream

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Tommy Hanson: Shattered Dream

This was admittedly a hard read for me, but worth it.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/shattered-dream/

So I say it's a hard read, not only because of the subject matter, but from personal experience.

Speaking for myself as someone who has been pushed to the absolute brink with depression (as well as battling back from it--to varying degrees--three separate times), I can truly say that depression is no respecter of persons.

I don't care who you are, how old you are, or where you're at in life - the very nature of the human condition makes us susceptible to falling into what I call the abyss.

For me, it was learning (and more like realizing) that it was/is absolutely okay to feel the entire spectrum of emotions - especially when those emotions are caused by grief, grief that can be legitimately physically painful.

It was tough for me learning that the feeling of loss doesn't ever go away, but with time, those feelings we're tempered and transformed into experience.

I dunno what (if anything) coulda saved Tommy from his demons; I do know that I understand the feeling (or sometimes the lack thereof) that can lead you to the end.

In a way, I kinda see myself as a recovering alcoholic. Even years removed from my darkest days now, I still have to take things day-to-day and keep and ever-so-close watch on my thoughts.

My friends have often asked me how/why I'm able to project such a relentless cheerfulness all the time (not to mention with the horrific puns I make). "Like, are you really that happy everyday?"

The answer for me is yes.

Because everyday we're alive is a ****ing prize.

How awesome is it that we get to experience such a wonderful (and sometimes in the worst kind of ways) spectrum of emotions and experiences in this life...every single day?

Anyway, I know that this is far past the point of rambling, but lemme just leave y'all with this.

It's the nature of the beast that we all have our own **** to deal with, and we all deal with it in our own ways.

But, ****, there is absolutely no shame in getting (and receiving) the help that you need to continue on in this crazy experience that we call life.

Y'all are awesome, perhaps even more awesome than the Braves this year...haha!

But yeah...rest in peace, Tommy.
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mrs. Meta For This Useful Post:

BornaBrave (06-14-2016), buck75 (06-14-2016), cajunrevenge (06-14-2016), CyYoung31 (06-14-2016), dak (06-14-2016), DaneHill (06-14-2016), Diesel (06-14-2016), Julio3000 (06-14-2016), mfree80 (06-14-2016), mqt (06-14-2016), nsacpi (06-14-2016), rico43 (06-14-2016), The Chosen One (06-14-2016), zedsdead (06-14-2016)