Thread: Hurricane shutters

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Hurricane shutters

We bought our first house two years ago now, and it does not have hurricane shutters. I live within 5 miles as the crow flies from the Atlantic ocean in Florida, and know I should really get them. Our house has 18 windows and the estimates we have gotten for hurricane shutters have been large large numbers (6-9k). Also, I dont not really feel the brackets for the shutters are very attractive looking.

What I was wondering is, has anyone decided to go the window tint/hurricane proof tint route instead of the shutters? I view it as a positive in three aspects, one for the added protection, two for the fact the windows are tinted and keep the house cooler, and three, the local tint guy said he would do it for around 100-125 bucks a window. Also, our house is two stories, and we have 9 of the windows on the top floor, which would make putting the shutters on a pain in the ass. All the windows in the house are Pella double pane windows, and knock on wood the house is 25 years old and never had shutters, and been through its share of the hurricanes and handled them like a champ due to being pretty surrounded by large old live oak trees.

Just looking for some advice. Thanks a lot guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    The only protection I see window film having is when something hits the window, you won't have large pieces of glass flying around inside the house. There is no way that they can offer any type of impact resistance with 100 mph winds.
    A cheaper route, if the windows are small enough, is stainless steel hanger bolts into the window trim/stucco and plywood shutters cut to fit each window. Store them in your garage or closet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    That would be a good name for a band. Hurricane Shutters.