Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

AJ Minter

Combined stats from Rome/Carolina:

12 IP, 0.00 ERA, 4 BB, 13 SO, .098 BAA, 9.75 K/9, 3.00 BB/9

Straight dealing this year, gotta imagine he's in AA before too long.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-16-2016), The Chosen One (06-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Wonder if they will look at him as a starter next year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I thought Minter was drafted to be fast tracked as a pen guy... once healthy

I was just looking back at the 2015 draft and noticed our 6th (#86) pick Anthony Guardado has pitched only 1 inning 7/3/2015.. He was a stretch pick, I understand that... but anyone know anything about him.. like what happened to him... it is like he disappeared. Very strange for a higher up pick like that..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I thought I read somewhere he's a reliever all the way. I know he started in college, but I'm not sure he ever really developed a 3rd pitch.

Considering how successful he looks in this role and the amount of starters we have in the minors -- I think they probably let him develop as a potential high-leverage reliever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I thought Minter was drafted to be fast tracked as a pen guy... once healthy

I was just looking back at the 2015 draft and noticed our 6th (#86) pick Anthony Guardado has pitched only 1 inning 7/3/2015.. He was a stretch pick, I understand that... but anyone know anything about him.. like what happened to him... it is like he disappeared. Very strange for a higher up pick like that..
    Shut down after shoulder issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I thought I read somewhere he's a reliever all the way. I know he started in college, but I'm not sure he ever really developed a 3rd pitch.

Considering how successful he looks in this role and the amount of starters we have in the minors -- I think they probably let him develop as a potential high-leverage reliever.
    We don't have a surplus of starters.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Combined stats from Rome/Carolina:

12 IP, 0.00 ERA, 4 BB, 13 SO, .098 BAA, 9.75 K/9, 3.00 BB/9

Straight dealing this year, gotta imagine he's in AA before too long.
    JMO, but I can't imagine they'll be very aggressive with him - likely on a pretty short IP limit.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    We don't have a surplus of starters.
    we disagree.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    we disagree.
    Not to start a fuss, but no one can ever have a surplus of SPs IMO. If you look really closely...

1.) Julio's a #2 who's at the top of our rotation and may be traded.

2.) Wisler appeared to have turned the corner, but has suddenly started to look like he's still got a long way to go to be a solid #3.

3.) Folty's got the stuff to be a #1 or #2 and looked as if he was turning the corner, but he's also beginning to look like he could be injury-prone and won't get there - at least not consistently.

4.) Perez' current malady is his shoulder - I cringe personally whenever I hear "Pitcher" and "shoulder" in the same sentence.

5.) For some reason that still escapes me it appears that they've given up on Jenkins as a starter.

6.) Norris might be riding the hottest 2 start streak of his career and could implode at any time.

7.) Gant's absolute ceiling is as a #3, and he's got a long way to go to get there - yet.

8.) Everyone else still has a LONG way to go to be able to say that they're legitimate rotation pieces, and the highest-ceiling guys are all really struggling with both command and control - other than Povse (who's cooled off now), none of them have cobbled together more than 2-3 good starts in a row.

There's no doubt we have a lot of talent, but turning talent into finished products is always the hardest step.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-16-2016), jpx7 (06-15-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, I'm with sacpi on this one. We have a lot of prospects, but that's a long way from saying we have a surplus of SPs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not to start a fuss, but no one can ever have a surplus of SPs IMO. If you look really closely...

1.) Julio's a #2 who's at the top of our rotation and may be traded.

2.) Wisler appeared to have turned the corner, but has suddenly started to look like he's still got a long way to go to be a solid #3.

3.) Folty's got the stuff to be a #1 or #2 and looked as if he was turning the corner, but he's also beginning to look like he could be injury-prone and won't get there - at least not consistently.

4.) Perez' current malady is his shoulder - I cringe personally whenever I hear "Pitcher" and "shoulder" in the same sentence.

5.) For some reason that still escapes me it appears that they've given up on Jenkins as a starter.

6.) Norris might be riding the hottest 2 start streak of his career and could implode at any time.

7.) Gant's absolute ceiling is as a #3, and he's got a long way to go to get there - yet.

8.) Everyone else still has a LONG way to go to be able to say that they're legitimate rotation pieces, and the highest-ceiling guys are all really struggling with both command and control - other than Povse (who's cooled off now), none of them have cobbled together more than 2-3 good starts in a row.

There's no doubt we have a lot of talent, but turning talent into finished products is always the hardest step.
    1. may be traded
    2. young pitchers struggle. this might be a simple case of Wisler adjusting to hitters adjusting
    3. no structural damage.
    4. Perez is depth, not dependent upon.
    5. Jenkins could always be pushed in to starting again
    6. Norris is trade fodder..
    7. Gant is a rookie.. hopefully with doing a job consistently, he will show what he has. He pitched like a #2 in the minors as a starter.
    8. Blair, Ellis and Whalen are all ready and don't have much else to prove in the minors. How good they will be is up for debate. Our true pitching depth is A+ and lower... Newcomb and Sims are still young but close to being ready.
    9. The fact that I could name 10 names worth mentioning, means there is depth.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, I'm with sacpi on this one. We have a lot of prospects, but that's a long way from saying we have a surplus of SPs.
    I would never say you have too much pitching so don't get another pitcher... But we have pitching depth.. we have elite pitching depth (prospects)... But would I want more... Hell yes...

Dream of all Dreams would to have a rotation better than the big 3 of the 90's.. Give me 6 #2+ with depth in the minors and I will show you a team that can win a world title...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    we have elite pitching depth (prospects)...
    I'm curious...who would be on your list of our elite pitching prospects

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I'm curious...who would be on your list of our elite pitching prospects
    Touki/Fried/Allard/Wentz/Newcomb

Folty and to a small extent Simms

elite meaning high ceiling guys.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-16-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    1. may be traded
    2. young pitchers struggle. this might be a simple case of Wisler adjusting to hitters adjusting
    3. no structural damage.
    4. Perez is depth, not dependent upon.
    5. Jenkins could always be pushed in to starting again
    6. Norris is trade fodder..
    7. Gant is a rookie.. hopefully with doing a job consistently, he will show what he has. He pitched like a #2 in the minors as a starter.
    8. Blair, Ellis and Whalen are all ready and don't have much else to prove in the minors. How good they will be is up for debate. Our true pitching depth is A+ and lower... Newcomb and Sims are still young but close to being ready.
    9. The fact that I could name 10 names worth mentioning, means there is depth.

Again, I'm not saying we don't have a lot to be excited about - you're missing the point. You've got a lot of "mights" and "hopefullys" right now. Right now...

Blair's not throwing enough strikes - particularly quality strikes - to get through 5 innings. Neither is Gant.

Ellis is walking entirely too many AA hitters to expect him to be different - calling him and Whalen "ready" is a pretty big stretch.

Newcomb and Sims don't throw enough strikes to be considered remotely close to ready either.

Don't get me wrong, everybody's thrilled that we've stockpiled all these guys - but Blair was considered the closest of the group (by far, actually) to being "ready" to contribute to a MLB rotation, and he's not ready yet. These guys all still have a long way to go.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-16-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Again, I'm not saying we don't have a lot to be excited about - you're missing the point. You've got a lot of "mights" and "hopefullys" right now. Right now...

Blair's not throwing enough strikes - particularly quality strikes - to get through 5 innings. Neither is Gant.

Ellis is walking entirely too many AA hitters to expect him to be different - calling him and Whalen "ready" is a pretty big stretch.

Newcomb and Sims don't throw enough strikes to be considered remotely close to ready either.

Don't get me wrong, everybody's thrilled that we've stockpiled all these guys - but Blair was considered the closest of the group (by far, actually) to being "ready" to contribute to a MLB rotation, and he's not ready yet. These guys all still have a long way to go.

they have a long ways to go.. and are not a sure thing. But that could be said about any player. The Cubs can't really say they have enough hitting prospects can they? We all know AAA hitters don't always transition to the big club. you are always on Swarber away from needing that guy.. I am just saying we have depth at pitching... We have depth that is better than any other club... But I will never say we don't need more pitching. If next draft rolls around and we draft 3 high up side pitchers.. I will be a happy camper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The Cubs can't really say they have enough hitting prospects can they?
    They are set in a way we aren't. There are two big differences. First attrition for position prospects is significantly lower than for pitchers. Second, at the major league level they have much more in the way of established talented players under contractual control for a while than we do on the pitching side. It is a yuge difference.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    They are set in a way we aren't. There are two big differences. First attrition for position prospects is significantly lower than for pitchers. Second, at the major league level they have much more in the way of established talented players under contractual control for a while than we do on the pitching side. It is a yuge difference.
    I agree they are set like we aren't.. however, two years ago when they kept acquiring talent, they had depth.. but that didn't stop them from getting more, possibly better talent. Again, I don't think any of us three disagree. WE NEED MORE PITCHING... I just think we are debating on what Depth/surplus means.. I wish our quality of 'ready' surplus was better... but we could call up anyone of Gant/Whalen/Blair/Jenkins/Kelley to make a start and could get quality innings out of them.. To me that is surplus.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    You are both correct. Not enough sure things to guarantee future success. Certainly not enough on the Big League team to be successful now... but enough in the minors that some potential starters may not be starting because the minor league rotations are full.

Not a bad spot to be in. When some guys fall by the wayside, there are others to take their place, but still room to add new guys who are a talent upgrade. Not all will make it, and there are many question marks, but sheer number suggest there will be a few who turn out to be really good. And they keep adding to the stable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    ... but enough in the minors that some potential starters may not be starting because the minor league rotations are full.
    Who do you see in the AA rotation next year?