Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Viz and Teheran listed as top trade candidates

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Epstein has really done a great job with trades since coming to the Cubs, but we pantsed him on the Viz deal. I was not a believer in Viz initially, and I still think we should sell high on him, but if we do we're going to end up with a pretty good return for TLS.
    It's hard to say that. LaStella has been a valuable piece for them and Viz has that PED sword of Damocles hanging over his head. Viz has been more valuable, and is currently more valuable, but there was a lot of risk when the Cubs traded him. They probably suspected the PED use when they decided to trade him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-16-2016)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Hard to say. Some team in contention at the deadline that needs a top end reliever might be willing to overpay a little. But getting a teams top 10 prospect would be a good starting point.
    I would hope we would get something similar to what the Phillies got for Ken Giles.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I just reminded myself that Viz was a huge piece in the Javy Vazquez deal... Man I hated that deal.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    It's hard to say that. LaStella has been a valuable piece for them and Viz has that PED sword of Damocles hanging over his head. Viz has been more valuable, and is currently more valuable, but there was a lot of risk when the Cubs traded him. They probably suspected the PED use when they decided to trade him.
    I don't doubt that at all, but it has turned out well for us, and as I said, I was not thrilled with the deal to begin with. I'm a real STELLA! fan, but he's probably not going to find enough ABs with the Cubs to be a difference-maker.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I don't doubt that at all, but it has turned out well for us, and as I said, I was not thrilled with the deal to begin with. I'm a real STELLA! fan, but he's probably not going to find enough ABs with the Cubs to be a difference-maker.
    Agree.

And I do think now is the time to trade Viz. BUT, there could be a number of closers on the market that would be more coveted. with the Yankees guys being up there. Viz has the value of control years over the Yanks guys but has less history. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Viz has been pretty dominant and is cheap, young, and controllable... I'd imagine he could fetch a nice return and we should try to do it

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    So thinking there might be 2 other closers competing in the market.. do you guys think it is better to be first to be traded or last man standing?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So thinking there might be 2 other closers competing in the market.. do you guys think it is better to be first to be traded or last man standing?
    I think it depends on strategy. If you get an offer you want for Viz, you should snap it up. If you are not getting exactly what you want then I think you wait.

Then there is the possibility that you may want to bundle Teheran AND Viz for a bigger return to try an get what you want. I think it likely that you get maximum value moving the two separately. But, I think if Colorado wanted them both and the Braves could get back Dahl, McMahon, Nunez and lesser guy you would have to do it. But, Colorado would have to decide that they are buyers not sellers. I think that's still possible with the Giants wounded and the Dodgers not meeting expectations. Every year a team from nowhere decides it can compete. But, I'm not holding my breath.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think Viz is more valuable to contenders with payroll constraints. Viz's value is that he is good AND cheap...not just good and expensive.

A Giles-lite return is certainly the expectation for me.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I wouldn't be super sure that those other closers are on the market, honestly. The Yanks aren't that far back, and it seems to go against the Yankee philosophy to start punting a season. There are definitely talks happening, but I'm not sure you'll see them throw in the towel like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Tommy LaStella is what he is. He's a light hitting, 2B only prospect that lacks the arm or athleticism to play anywhere else. He's a solid contact guy that offers you very little in terms of power or stolen bases.

It's a complete rip off to get Viz for him. Viz is a legitimate high end high leverage pitcher who will likely fetch a lot more than Tommy LaStella at the trade deadline this year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Tommy LaStella is what he is. He's a light hitting, 2B only prospect that lacks the arm or athleticism to play anywhere else. He's a solid contact guy that offers you very little in terms of power or stolen bases.

It's a complete rip off to get Viz for him. Viz is a legitimate high end high leverage pitcher who will likely fetch a lot more than Tommy LaStella at the trade deadline this year.

We also got the almost 1 million in int'l bonus money that helped land Pache and/or Cruz..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

KB21 (06-16-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    We also got the almost 1 million in int'l bonus money that helped land Pache and/or Cruz..
    So, long term:

Tommy La Stella or Vizzy/What we get for Vizzy, Christian Pache, and Derian Cruz?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    So, long term:

Tommy La Stella or Vizzy/What we get for Vizzy, Christian Pache, and Derian Cruz?
    I wouldn't say we got both from that trade.. I think both signed for over a million. But I don't think we could have gotten both of them with out that trade. But we also trade a couple of other prospects (Kubtiza sp?) to get some money.. I would say we got Vizzy and Cruz for La Stella...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I wouldn't say we got both from that trade.. I think both signed for over a million. But I don't think we could have gotten both of them with out that trade. But we also trade a couple of other prospects (Kubtiza sp?) to get some money.. I would say we got Vizzy and Cruz for La Stella...
    Didn't we get Ricardo Sanchez and slot money for Kyle Kubitza?

Another fleecing by this front office.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

How's Sanchez doing?

Kubitza not a big loss, but I wouldn't say we fleeced them.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    How's Sanchez doing?

Kubitza not a big loss, but I wouldn't say we fleeced them.
    I was wrong... it was Paroubeck and Martin to 2 different teams... Sanchez was for Kubitza and someone else who flamed out... Sanchez is struggling.. but I still like the trade..

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I was wrong... it was Paroubeck and Martin to 2 different teams... Sanchez was for Kubitza and someone else who flamed out... Sanchez is struggling.. but I still like the trade..
    I also like the trade, I'm just not calling it a fleecing.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

Call it a fleecing when Sanchez is closer to contributing to the big club.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Call it a fleecing when Sanchez is closer to contributing to the big club.
    If he does find his way, it will most certainly be. I still think we gave up less potential for possible potential.. clear win in my book.. a fleecing is if Sanchez realizes that potential.