Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusney Castillo

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Rusney Castillo

Boston has put him on outright waivers...

Seems like we could get him for very little from Boston and would be someone to at least take a chance on. As I said a few weeks back (and was criticized by quite a few) we should have taken a flyer on Robbie Grossman (who's killing it with the Twins) and any potential OF'er who could help us.

What would it take to get Castillo?

Something like Rob Whalen and Ryan Weber?? (with Boston picking up most, if not all, of Castillo's salary)
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Todd Cunningham was designated for assignment yesterday. With Mallex out for a while, I'd be interested in bringing the Todd back.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (06-21-2016), buck75 (06-19-2016), JohnAdcox (06-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Sure you wanna unload Whalen?

@HearKyleTait
    Rob Whalen today: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K. He's gone 25 IP and counting without allowing an earned run. #Braves @MBraves

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-19-2016), JohnAdcox (06-20-2016), jpx7 (06-19-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I wouldn't give up much of anything for him if we take on any more salary than say, $3m a year. Castillo seems to be more of what we already have, a speedy glove man with little power. I guess if he developed it would free us up to trade Inciarte or something, but I don't see Castillo being much more than a lottery ticket at this point, and a scratch off at that.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    What if we gave them Olivera?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    What if we gave them Olivera?
    Castillo averages like $4m a year more and has hit worse! Maybe a swap where the Sox make the money even.... that might work

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Could be something there.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I would definitely look into a buy low scenario with a guy like Castillo and get Boston to eat some cash. With a sunk season, you throw him in LF and tell him you're our guy and see if he can get going.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (06-20-2016), Braves1976 (06-20-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Todd Cunningham was designated for assignment yesterday. With Mallex out for a while, I'd be interested in bringing the Todd back.
    Oh heavens, why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Oh heavens, why?
    Consider the alternatives we have available to call up when Mallex is put on the DL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Consider the alternatives we have available to call up when Mallex is put on the DL.
    I prefer Carl Crawford to Cunningham, he at least has a history of production, and his worst seasons are about the best Cunningham could ever do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Even though it is the PCL, the Todd has put up an OBP of .400 this year in 246 PAs. That caught my attention.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Personally have no interest in Castillo on any level unless Boston eats the entire contract. If we're looking for a Mallex replacement, I could see nsacpi's line of thinking but would still prefer taking a shot at Crawford. Yeah it's looking to catch lightning in a bottle over a couple months, but I'd bet we'd come closer to getting something of value (very little value, but value) for Crawford if he somehow was able to get through 6 healthy weeks as a platoon partner for Frenchy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    He got outrighted I believe. Man thats a chunk of change for not much yet. Between he and Panda, they are weighing heavily on the payroll.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    My guess is that Mallex will be replaced by Peterson in left (with Francouer continuing to play against lefties). Which leaves a roster spot for a bench player. Preferably one who can hit left-handed. Brignac is probably the best of the alternatives in AAA. Bonifacio is a switch hitter, but does better against lefties and is quite weak from the left side.

Brignac's career OPS against righties is .611. Bonifacio is .630. Given that track record, it makes sense to look for an alternative outside the organization. I think both Oswaldo Arcia and Todd Cunningham might be better. As for Crawford, I see him as having arrived at the same terminal stage we've seen recently from Bourn and Swisher. Ideally, we should be looking for someone in their 20s with some potential value going forward, no matter how modest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Well he cleared waivers... Don't see why we don't give him a shot... Maybe he's got a bad attitude

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He got outrighted I believe. Man thats a chunk of change for not much yet. Between he and Panda, they are weighing heavily on the payroll.
    I think the team has control over Castillo and thus he cannot refuse assignment, but am not sure, some of the international free agency things are sketchy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    I think the team has control over Castillo and thus he cannot refuse assignment, but am not sure, some of the international free agency things are sketchy
    He will be sent to minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    that's what I thought, he can't refuse assignment as he doesn't have enough service time .

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    My guess is that Mallex will be replaced by Peterson in left (with Francouer continuing to play against lefties). Which leaves a roster spot for a bench player. Preferably one who can hit left-handed. Brignac is probably the best of the alternatives in AAA. Bonifacio is a switch hitter, but does better against lefties and is quite weak from the left side.

Brignac's career OPS against righties is .611. Bonifacio is .630. Given that track record, it makes sense to look for an alternative outside the organization. I think both Oswaldo Arcia and Todd Cunningham might be better. As for Crawford, I see him as having arrived at the same terminal stage we've seen recently from Bourn and Swisher. Ideally, we should be looking for someone in their 20s with some potential value going forward, no matter how modest.
    Actually blitzed out and didn't think about Arcia.

Like I said - Mondays suck!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?