Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts

Snit

I posted this in the GDT, but is he doing enough for a shot at the permanent gig? I mean small sample size applies, but it seems like this squad jumped to life.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I like the job he is doing. Right now the team is hitting well in high leverage situations and the pen has been solid. That makes a manager look good. But I sense he has the taam playing harder. And unlike some around here, I like the fact that he aggressively seeks out the platoon advantage. He's ridden the pen hard, but also spread out the workload so no single pitcher has gotten the Gearrin or Avilan treatment.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-24-2016), KB21 (06-24-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I like the job he is doing. Right now the team is hitting well in high leverage situations and the pen has been solid. That makes a manager look good. But I sense he has the taam playing harder. And unlike some around here, I like the fact that he aggressively seeks out the platoon advantage. He's ridden the pen hard, but also spread out the workload so no single pitcher has gotten the Gearrin or Avilan treatment.
    So pre Mallex injury you were fine having him not get chances against lefties? O
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    So pre Mallex injury you were fine having him not get chances against lefties? O
    That's an interesting situation. I wanted Francouer (or some other righty) to play in the outfield when a lefty was going. I was agnostic about which one of our regular outfielders should sit in those situations. I thought it should be dependent on who was hitting and who wasn't. There were some games where Inciarte and Markakis sat. But most of the time it was Mallex. If Mallex had remained hot, I would have wanted to see one of the other two sit more when a lefty was going. But for now we can only speculate on how it would have played out.

Mallex' splits in the minors indicate he should be ok against lefties. I wouldn't give much weight to his small sample major league results.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-24-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    the Pen has come together.. the starters are throwing better and the offense is doing just enough to win a few games.

I don't think Snit is doing anything special... and I still question his handling of starters and relievers. I mean if FF, Aybar, Jace, and Adonis were playing like this a few months ago.. Fredi would still have a job..

I will say he got some points by getting fired up. Us Braves fans have not seen that from a manager in a long long time.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (06-24-2016), bravos4evr (06-24-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    That's kind of it in a nutshell. Whole team stunk coming out of the gate in just about every way possible. The old saw about "you can't fire the whole team, so you fire the manager" seems to have been in play and I think the firing of Fredi did put a shiver in the team. If the brass fires a loyal soldier (and favorite of some in the decision-making troika) like Fredi, my guess is it puts everyone on notice to up their game (or at least their concentration).

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Nice to see a manager stick up for his players. It's hard to get a proper read on Snits overall effect on a team like this, but we still have half a season to observe. It's gonna be an interesting story to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    snit can git.
    thank you weso1!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (06-24-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That's an interesting situation. I wanted Francouer (or some other righty) to play in the outfield when a lefty was going. I was agnostic about which one of our regular outfielders should sit in those situations. I thought it should be dependent on who was hitting and who wasn't. There were some games where Inciarte and Markakis sat. But most of the time it was Mallex. If Mallex had remained hot, I would have wanted to see one of the other two sit more when a lefty was going. But for now we can only speculate on how it would have played out.

Mallex' splits in the minors indicate he should be ok against lefties. I wouldn't give much weight to his small sample major league results.
    But we were sitting Mallex a ton against lefties, and that's only going to hurt his ability to hit them in the future.

I like a lot about Snitker - I think he handles the clubhouse really well, the players seem to like him, and I'm glad he put Inciarte back in CF and started playing Flowers more.

But I didn't like that he sat Mallex against LHP so often, and I really don't like the way he handles pitchers. There's always going to be something about a manager you don't love, but I don't know. But regardless, I don't think we're actually giving thought to having Snitker as permanent manager. I don't think it matters much how we play.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Snitker is a nice story, but IMO, he basically makes the same "old timey" mistakes Fredi did with the added bonus of using too many pen arms. I would prefer the team go outside the Bobby Cox protege' squad and get someone with a different perspective.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But I didn't like that he sat Mallex against LHP so often, and I really don't like the way he handles pitchers. There's always going to be something about a manager you don't love, but I don't know. But regardless, I don't think we're actually giving thought to having Snitker as permanent manager. I don't think it matters much how we play.
    Yeah, and if there is one thing you want your manager to be able to do well for the long term health of a team, it's be able to handle a pitching staff well. The last thing you want is a Dusty Baker out there. I wouldn't touch Snit simply because of how he has handled the staff, which is doubly important given how much young pitching we will be bringing up the next few years.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    TP may end up managing next year - maybe that's why he was chosen to be the bench coach. We shall see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    TP may end up managing next year - maybe that's why he was chosen to be the bench coach. We shall see.
    I will be beyond shocked if Pendleton is the manager.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I will be beyond shocked if Pendleton is the manager.
    Yeah it seems like the FO sees TP as more of a coach type. IMO, if they stay in house it will be Eddie's job to lose.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I'm all for Snitker getting the job. Unlike some, I'd rather have a Bobby Cox protege than a coach that is going to coach from a spreadsheet. I think Snitker has handled the pitching staff as good as it can be handled. He knows when to take the young guys out, and I like that he is aggressive with the platoon match ups in the bullpen. No one's arm is getting overworked.

The big thing though, and this is the most underrated aspect of managing, is how he handles the clubhouse. These guys have responded to him. They have taken on his personality, whereas they had taken on Fredi's personality previously.

Bobby Cox is one of the greatest baseball managers of all time, and I will never understand the hate that is thrown his way by those that want to go away from his ideas on managing.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I think there are two parts to managing.

1) Know the players, coaches and umpires. Have their respect. Keep a good environment.
    2) Mine the data for advantages.

Its not one or the other guys. Can't someone do both?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You like the platoon matchups but don't like using data?

Is there a current major league manager that 'coaches from a spreadsheet'?

Anyway, I'll be surprised if the new manager is anyone currently on staff. I'll be pretty shocked with either Pendleton or Perez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    If Snit continues the way he's started and the players continue to like him and publicly sing his praises, it would be a huge gamble to bring in somebody new. Unless things start to go awry, I think it's Snit's gig.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    If Snit continues the way he's started and the players continue to like him and publicly sing his praises, it would be a huge gamble to bring in somebody new. Unless things start to go awry, I think it's Snit's gig.
    Eh, the players will eventually get behind anybody, especially if he's a players' manager. I don't think we gave Snitker the job with the idea he could become permanent. I don't see any way he realistically gets the job.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-24-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Its not one or the other guys. Can't someone do both?
    Exactly, whether it's in the FO, or the coaching on the field, you need to have an even balance.