Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

The Curious Case of Julion Tayron

To trade or not to trade, that is the question.

Mini hot streak or kid finally figuring it out with staying power?

We're finally seeing what the projections were for him as a blue chip prospect.

Could just be he dominates the Mets. If he shows this again his next two starts he should be an All Star and he should bring in a package of no less than 2 or 3 big ML ready prospect bats.

Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Colombian Jesus is the truth

Everyone needs to stop talking about trying to trade him
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-26-2016), GovClintonTyree (06-26-2016), JohnAdcox (06-27-2016), Runnin (06-26-2016), TomahawkCult (06-26-2016), yeezus (06-26-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Teheran is a really interesting case right now. The Braves need to determine for themselves what they think Teheran will be going forward and make their determination on that. If this recent stretch is indicative of what he will be going forward, then they probably shouldn't trade him. That would be an ace or near-ace, and at his age with his contract, that should bring a haul in return. Unfortunately, the market, while hot, will probably view him with more skepticism than that and you won't get that full value for him. Also, a pitcher like that would be hugely important in our ability to rebuild quickly.

However, if the Braves think this is a mirage of sorts and that he'll be good but not this good going forward, then it's absolutely the right time to seek a deal. The market is good (few pitchers available), and it's hard to imagine his value climbing higher, again IF they believe he's likely to regress. The Cole Hamels deal is an interesting comparison here, though. Hamels was a more established TOR starter at the time of that trade last year, but Hamels was older and with one fewer year of control left, and was more expensive. However, that return isn't what I'm looking for if we deal Teheran. I want fewer pieces but a couple of real impact bats in return. If we can't get that, even if we don't think Teheran is quite this good moving forward, I still want to keep him.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-26-2016), jpx7 (06-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I see what Shelby Miller is going through this year and think moving him may be the best course. And I hate saying that.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Unless he's fetching a real life major league player there isn't a reason to trade him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Everyone seems to have this feeling that Julio is going to regress at some point. The kid just turned 25 four months ago. He's had some ups and downs, but all young pitchers go through that. What you are seeing is the maturation of a young pitcher, and you are seeing a young pitcher who had frontline talent and projection when he was 17 realize that talent and projection. Since May 1st, Julio has a 1.64 ERA with 8.69 K/9 and 1.53 BB/9.

We have seen flashes of this before, but this guy is a matured young pitcher now. I know some are going to try to bring up some advanced stat to show that he will eventually regress, but you know what? Julio has outpitched those advanced stats for 3 years now. At some point, maybe the realization needs to hit that this is who he is. Realize that the scouts are right about this guy and the numbers don't tell the entire story.

Basically, if you trade him, you get a haul. If Boston wants him, they have to give up Moncada, Benintendi, Swihart, and a young arm. If Texas wants him, then they have to give up Gallo, Brinson, and a young arm.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I see what Shelby Miller is going through this year and think moving him may be the best course. And I hate saying that.
    He ain't Shelby Miller.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-26-2016), KB21 (06-26-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Remember he hurt his knee pretty badly in early 2015? I don't believe he missed a start. In fact, I don't know if he's ever missed a start. Anyway, he pitched through the knee injury with some uncharacteristic control issues and had a rough first half.

If you discount the first half last year, you get a fairly smooth and incremental development curve for a young pitcher going from very good to great.

Myself, I always liked him, but fell in love when Bryce-baby pimped a home run a couple years ago and Julio drilled him in the ass at 95 and dared him to charge the mound. An MFIKY look.

He's tough and passionate and I want to build around him, not deal him. I understand all the reasons it makes sense and a Miller return, yada-yada, but he should be as untouchable as Freddie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I know some are going to try to bring up some advanced stat to show that he will eventually regress, but you know what? Julio has outpitched those advanced stats for 3 years now. At some point, maybe the realization needs to hit that this is who he is. Realize that the scouts are right about this guy and the numbers don't tell the entire story.
    I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at, but I don't see much of a statistical case that Julio will regress from his performance over the past 3 years any time soon. He's young and durable, which is a huge factor in the market (see Mike Leake). He's out-pitched is FIP over a large sample, and there are some concrete reasons why his approach / strengths will allow him to continue to do this. I think it's very fair to value him closer to his ERA than his FIP. Over the past 3 seasons, he's compiled a 3.24 ERA and 3.88 FIP. So I'd suggest he should be valued more into the 3.5 zone. Add on all the other desirables that Julio brings (young, durable, handles bat, limits running game, good kid, etc.), and I think the market will value him and his contract even more than that 3.5 number would suggest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I thought we should value Julion as a 3 WAR player a few weeks ago, and still think so. And we should only make a trade where we clearly win it on an expected surplus value basis.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Remember he hurt his knee pretty badly in early 2015? I don't believe he missed a start. In fact, I don't know if he's ever missed a start. Anyway, he pitched through the knee injury with some uncharacteristic control issues and had a rough first half.

If you discount the first half last year, you get a fairly smooth and incremental development curve for a young pitcher going from very good to great.

Myself, I always liked him, but fell in love when Bryce-baby pimped a home run a couple years ago and Julio drilled him in the ass at 95 and dared him to charge the mound. An MFIKY look.

He's tough and passionate and I want to build around him, not deal him. I understand all the reasons it makes sense and a Miller return, yada-yada, but he should be as untouchable as Freddie.
    Wonder douche owns Julio though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at, but I don't see much of a statistical case that Julio will regress from his performance over the past 3 years any time soon. He's young and durable, which is a huge factor in the market (see Mike Leake). He's out-pitched is FIP over a large sample, and there are some concrete reasons why his approach / strengths will allow him to continue to do this. I think it's very fair to value him closer to his ERA than his FIP. Over the past 3 seasons, he's compiled a 3.24 ERA and 3.88 FIP. So I'd suggest he should be valued more into the 3.5 zone. Add on all the other desirables that Julio brings (young, durable, handles bat, limits running game, good kid, etc.), and I think the market will value him and his contract even more than that 3.5 number would suggest.
    I would agree. Julio looks like he is fitting into the Glavine and Hudson mold of being able to pitch about a half run above his peripherals.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

Outstanding post Gov.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I would agree. Julio looks like he is fitting into the Glavine and Hudson mold of being able to pitch about a half run above his peripherals.
    .209 BABIP will normalize at some point.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-26-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I am at a practice but if someone on a computer computes Julio stats less AJP and you might be surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am at a practice but if someone on a computer computes Julio stats less AJP and you might be surprised.
    I think the AJP / Flowers differences may factor in a very small way, but more correlation than causality when you're looking at sample this small, IMO.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-26-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Over the last two months Julio has had a 74 to 13 K/BB in 76.2 IP. That's fairly ace like.

I like the comparison to Huddy. Not an elite ace but a top of the rotation guy who out performs what a stat like FIP says he should.

I don't want to trade him. I wouldn't even trade him for an overpay. A team would have to open a vein to get him if it was up to me.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (06-26-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Over the last two months Julio has had a 74 to 13 K/BB in 76.2 IP. That's fairly ace like.

I like the comparison to Huddy. Not an elite ace but a top of the rotation guy who out performs what a stat like FIP says he should.

I don't want to trade him. I wouldn't even trade him for an overpay. A team would have to open a vein to get him if it was up to me.
    Which is why I said in another thread that he might have pitched himself out of the market. Teams won't give up what it will take to get him. Sure he is available. But his price is too high now.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I'm in this camp 100% Striker! I don't think Boston ponies up. If they were interested in giving up the farm, they'd probably go Fernandez or something. I think they want Julio...depends on the pain I guess.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I think the AJP / Flowers differences may factor in a very small way, but more correlation than causality when you're looking at sample this small, IMO.
    Maybe. He has 111 innings with AJ. 5 ERA. 3.4 is his next highest. He would be a close to a 3 ERA if you throw out aj.