Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bud Norris and the Other Short-Term Trade Assets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Bud Norris and the Other Short-Term Trade Assets

Most of the trade discussion has been centering on Teheran and Vizcaino.

But we also have a slew of other assets that could potentially be moved at the deadline. Given his recent success in the rotation, Bud Norris might be the most interesting one. He has a bit of a pedigree having generated WAR in the 1.5-2.5 range during the 2010-2014 period, before having a poor injury-riddled season last year. His performance this year is probably best viewed as a return to his 2010-2014 baseline.

It is not unrealistic to project that he will generate 1.0-1.5 WAR the rest of this year. Pair him up with another asset (such as Jim Johnson) and the overall value bumps up to close to 2 WAR. Assuming we are operating in a seller's market, I don't think it is unrealistic to think that a package of Norris and Johnson or some similar other combination could generate a return with a surplus value in the 2.5-3 WAR range.

So what kind of asset has that kind of value. It would probably not be a player who is on a Top 100 list of all prospects, but someone who gets some consideration for those lists. For a weak farm system, it would be one of their top 3 propsects. For an average farm system it would be a prospect ranked 3-5 within the system. And for a strong system, someone in the 5-10 range.

That kind of return is not as exciting as what Teheran or Vizcaino might bring back. But I hope we hold out for quality rather than a collection of organizational players when we move Norris. And we should try to bump up the quality of the return by combining him with other asset(s).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-27-2016 at 09:10 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-27-2016), Julio3000 (06-27-2016), rico43 (06-27-2016)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I think we would do well to get a return for Norris that's similar to the return we got for Johnson and Uribe last year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-27-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Most of the trade discussion has been centering on Teheran and Vizcaino.

But we also have a slew of other assets that could potentially be moved at the deadline. Given his recent success in the rotation, Bud Norris might be the most interesting one. He has a bit of a pedigree having generated WAR in the 1.5-2.5 range during the 2010-2014 period, before having a poor injury-riddled season last year. His performance this year is probably best viewed as a return to his 2010-2014 baseline.

It is not unrealistic to project that he will generate 1.0-1.5 WAR the rest of this year. Pair him up with another asset (such as Jim Johnson) and the overall value bumps up to close to 2 WAR. Assuming we are operating in a seller's market, I don't think it is unrealistic to think that a package of Norris and Johnson or some similar other combination could generate a return with a surplus value in the 2.5-3 WAR range.

So what kind of asset has that kind of value. It would probably not be a player who is on a Top 100 list of all prospects, but someone who gets some consideration for those lists. For a weak farm system, it would be one of their top 3 propsects. For an average farm system it would be a prospect ranked 3-5 within the system. And for a strong system, someone in the 5-10 range.

That kind of return is not as exciting as what Teheran or Vizcaino might bring back. But I hope we hold out for quality rather than a collection of organizational players when we move Norris. And we should try to bump up the quality of the return by combining him with other asset(s).
    I was thinking about the same thing earlier as well and came to three different packages albeit similar types of return..

Trade #1:

Atlanta sends:

Bud Norris
    Nick Markakis
    Alexi Ogando

Boston sends:

Michael Chavis
    Pat Light
    Henry Ramos

Trade #2

Atlanta sends:

Bud Norris
    Rob Whalen

LA Dodgers send:

Cody Bellinger
    Jacob Rahme

Trade #3- (this one may be a stretch)

Atlanta sends

Bud Norris
    Arodis Vizcaino
    Jim Johnson
    Aaron Blair
    Rio Ruiz

Rangers send:

Joey Gallo
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I think we would do well to get a return for Norris that's similar to the return we got for Johnson and Uribe last year.
    The return there has turned out quite well. The Mets had a strong system and neither Gant nor Whalen was one of their Top 10 guys at the time of the trade. Both were probably in the Top 20. I certainly am happy about how that trade worked out, but if we have a choice in any trade involving Norris between a Top 10 guy and a couple of prospects ranked around 20, I would go for the Top 10 player. I would emphasize quality over quantity.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Trade #3- (this one may be a stretch)

Atlanta sends

Bud Norris
    Arodis Vizcaino
    Jim Johnson
    Aaron Blair
    Rio Ruiz

Rangers send:

Joey Gallo
    Actually I think that is a bit too much for Gallo. I would not include both Blair and Ruiz.. The issue in the package you propose is likely to be valuation of Blair. He was a pretty highly ranked prospect coming into this season and imo his valuation has been damaged by being rushed to the majors. I would only include him in a trade if he was valued as a Top 50-75 prospect.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016), Braves1976 (07-02-2016), Coach_Chris (06-27-2016), JohnAdcox (06-27-2016), UNCBlue012 (06-27-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Actually I think that is a bit too much for Gallo. I would not include both Blair and Ruiz.. The issue in the package you propose is likely to be valuation of Blair. He was a pretty highly ranked prospect coming into this season and imo his valuation has been damaged by being rushed to the majors. I would only include him in a trade if he was valued as a Top 50-75 prospect.
    Right and that's why I decided to include Ruiz
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Yeah, if we get past the deadline and we still have Bud Norris on the roster then we have failed a little bit. I'm not expecting the moon for him, but I think we can at least get a prospect back that has a decent chance at contributing in the majors.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I wonder what our scouts think about D. J. Peterson? Norris would seem like a perfect fit in Seattle - where he could help the rotation to begin with and would be a really useful pen piece if they moved him there as well. Peterson's struggled with swing mechanics and kinda stalled, but he's got upside as a right-handed power bat that could be a sleeper if we could iron him out. He had a strong enough arm at 3B that could possibly play in LF if he's athletic enough - kinda an Adonis clone with more pop.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I wonder what our scouts think about D. J. Peterson? Norris would seem like a perfect fit in Seattle - where he could help the rotation to begin with and would be a really useful pen piece if they moved him there as well. Peterson's struggled with swing mechanics and kinda stalled, but he's got upside as a right-handed power bat that could be a sleeper if we could iron him out. He had a strong enough arm at 3B that could possibly play in LF if he's athletic enough - kinda an Adonis clone with more pop.
    not a huge fan of Peterson.. saw him in Bham one afternoon and he has a big upper cut swing with a lot of miss there. They have an 25 year old closer in the makings that seems interesting.. But I really don't like too much in Seattle's Minors.. I know Bud is not going to fetch a lot.. but they have a bunch of Meh personally.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I dunno, the last time we brought in a pair of brothers with similar name patterns, it didn't turn out so hot for us.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016), clvclv (06-27-2016), jpx7 (06-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    certainly worked out to pursue Norris over Latos.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016), buck75 (06-27-2016), Tapate50 (06-27-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    certainly worked out to pursue Norris over Latos.
    Good point. I remember the minor prairie fire that broke out over the decision.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (06-28-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    As others have mentioned,if the Braves trade w Texas - I hope that we acquire Nicholas (catcher), too

22. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-27-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This is a good thread as I was thinking of a package deal of Norris and Oganda or Jim Johnson for teams that could use a 4th or 5th starter for a short period until they have some arms return as well as a need in the pen.

I like Tyler Oneil from the Mariners or Ryan Cordell/Luke Jackson from the Rangers

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Just watch D.J. Peterson the last four days in Chattanooga. He can flat hit, and hit with power. I would applaud almost any deal that brought him on board.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-27-2016), clvclv (06-27-2016), Freshmaker (06-28-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Just watch D.J. Peterson the last four days in Chattanooga. He can flat hit, and hit with power. I would applaud almost any deal that brought him on board.
    But you're talking about a 24-year-old now on his 3rd turn in AA. He still has a poor K/BB ratio there. I would take him for Norris, don't get me wrong, because of the upside...I just don't expect him to ever hit that upside and become much of anything.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-27-2016), clvclv (06-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    As others have mentioned,if the Braves trade w Texas - I hope that we acquire Nicholas (catcher), too
    Did you catch my post on him? I have seen him a lot and he'd be good to pair with Flowers IMO. The Texas pitchers ERA were great with him catching his short time up too. Plus he hit well (over .800 OPS in SSS) and he's killing it in the PCL too.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-27-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Did you catch my post on him? I have seen him a lot and he'd be good to pair with Flowers IMO. The Texas pitchers ERA were great with him catching his short time up too. Plus he hit well (over .800 OPS in SSS) and he's killing it in the PCL too.
    Yes sir. I was a little lazy in looking up your post on Nicholas.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    Yes sir. I was a little lazy in looking up your post on Nicholas.
    It's cool. BTW, another reason I'd look into getting Nicholas is that I expect Ramos not to be available this off-season. Nats are going to extend him before hand IMO.