Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6/30 MINORSTHURSDAY FINAL...GWINNETT NO HITTER!!! Cumberland catching Allard

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Alan Rangel done: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Rangel's first two GCL starts: 9 IP, 4 H, 1 ER/R, 2 BB, 12 K. He's still 18 years old for a few more months.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Ozzy was skipped a level SO they wouldn't play together, it hasn't been a consideration all year, then he's sent to AAA, struggles, starts to figure it out and as soon as he does he's demoted so they can suddenly play together again????

What???

If it was that important they should have been doing it at AA when Dansby came up.
    It's probably more that they've decided Albies will play 2B and Dansby SS so they want them playing together. The main reason they were kept apart was to keep them both at SS to get more time seeing them both play it to figure out who is the long-term option there.

ETA: Or, what Enscheff said.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Cumberland is behind the plate and hitting cleanup for Danville tonight. First game since signing.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-30-2016), Garmel (06-30-2016), Julio3000 (06-30-2016), Tapate50 (06-30-2016), The Chosen One (06-30-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I really like Cumberland and hope he can stick at the dish because I think that bat is fo realz
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Coming to say this. Snit said he is healthy and ready. I don't like this. We are messing with his future for a meaningless game. Let him go about 85 pitches in the minors where he knows it doesn't matter.
    How are we messing with his future by starting him in Atlanta instead of Carolina?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    How are we messing with his future by starting him in Atlanta instead of Carolina?
    I think rehab starts should be just that.. rehab.. I understand you throw a pitch regardless if you are in Atlanta or Carolina. But If his arm still needs time to build strength, then throwing in higher leverage situations could be bad. I just think if a team doctor says let him throw in the minors a few games to build back arm strength and test elbow.. then you do that if your season is already down the ****ter.. what benefit does bringing him back early accomplish? We are not going to win this year.. let some scrub throw and we can get our brains beat in.. WHO CARES!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I do think the stress of effort (from adrenaline and so forth) is greater in a major league game than a rehab start. Theoretically you can rehab in major league games, but there is some increased risk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think rehab starts should be just that.. rehab.. I understand you throw a pitch regardless if you are in Atlanta or Carolina. But If his arm still needs time to build strength, then throwing in higher leverage situations could be bad. I just think if a team doctor says let him throw in the minors a few games to build back arm strength and test elbow.. then you do that if your season is already down the ****ter.. what benefit does bringing him back early accomplish? We are not going to win this year.. let some scrub throw and we can get our brains beat in.. WHO CARES!!!
    I just don't know why we're assuming doctors told him to throw in the minors and we're just snubbing them and decided, 'Who cares, just pitch him in Atlanta.' If he's going to pitch anyway, and we feel like he's ready to throw in the majors, then let him throw in the majors.

We have a tendency to be overly dramatic about everything. Starting in Atlanta instead of Carolina is not going to ruin his career.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-30-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I just don't know why we're assuming doctors told him to throw in the minors and we're just snubbing them and decided, 'Who cares, just pitch him in Atlanta.' If he's going to pitch anyway, and we feel like he's ready to throw in the majors, then let him throw in the majors.

We have a tendency to be overly dramatic about everything. Starting in Atlanta instead of Carolina is not going to ruin his career.

I don't believe I broke my pitch forks out. I just think we should err on the side of caution in a lost season. throwing to a bunch of kids is less stressful than a bunch of MLB players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I'm good with Dansby and Ozzie at AA, this means that when they come back to play the Shuckers in August I get to see both! (and maybe get a couple of ball signed)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    I'm good with Dansby and Ozzie at AA, this means that when they come back to play the Shuckers in August I get to see both! (and maybe get a couple of ball signed)
    if they are still there in August.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    if they are still there in August.
    They will.....September call ups.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    They will.....September call ups.
    They will be in the minors.. but will they be in AA..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't believe I broke my pitch forks out. I just think we should err on the side of caution in a lost season. throwing to a bunch of kids is less stressful than a bunch of MLB players.
    Did I say you broke your pitch forks out? You suggested we are messing with his future by starting him in a major league game...on a day when we were going to start him in a minor league game. I think that's a touch overly dramatic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Yeah, I don't think it's gonna make much difference. He's gonna be throwing 98 in MLB or MiLB, so if something bad was gonna happen, it was gonna happen in either place.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Alan Rangel done: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Rangel's first two GCL starts: 9 IP, 4 H, 1 ER/R, 2 BB, 12 K. He's still 18 years old for a few more months.
    Good start to the season for Rangel. My nickname for him is the Raisin W-Rangel-er.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-30-2016), jpx7 (06-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    No. But 11 errors at SS probably pushes him to 2B.
    From what I have seen of the guys who play 1b for Gwinnett they would be below average defenders as a DH, much less 1b.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-30-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Did I say you broke your pitch forks out? You suggested we are messing with his future by starting him in a major league game...on a day when we were going to start him in a minor league game. I think that's a touch overly dramatic.
    Right. I think potential set backs to rehab is messing with future. I see no benefit in him throwing to mlb hitters right now. It might be fine and he is right back on track. But he gets beat around because his arm isn't strong and he loses confidence. Or he over throws a pitch and tweaks something because he over compensating. I just don't like risk when there is zero reward. Which him pitching tonight has ZERO reward.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Right. I think potential set backs to rehab is messing with future. I see no benefit in him throwing to mlb hitters right now. It might be fine and he is right back on track. But he gets beat around because his arm isn't strong and he loses confidence. Or he over throws a pitch and tweaks something because he over compensating. I just don't like risk when there is zero reward. Which him pitching tonight has ZERO reward.
    Just a guess, but if the doctors didn't tell him to throttle back from the 97 and 98 he just threw Yelich, they probably didn't give a *hit which mound he was going to be throwing from.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just a guess, but if the doctors didn't tell him to throttle back from the 97 and 98 he just threw Yelich, they probably didn't give a *hit which mound he was going to be throwing from.
    Well I will say that was f'ing impressive.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-30-2016)