Thread: Next Two International Signing Periods: A Forced Experiment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Next Two International Signing Periods: A Forced Experiment

We'll have about 5M in spending slot money next year. And presumably a lesser but still significant amount the following year. In both years, we'll be prevented from signing anyone to a bonus of over 300K.

Some of our better recent signings--Acuna (100K), Isranel Wilson (350K) and Albies (350K)--have come from relatively modest bonuses. I think spreading 5M over 20 or so good but not great prospects will yield some interesting results. When you consider the age of these prospects and the risks, spreading the money around might not be a bad approach.

The other option which we might exploit is trading some of the slot money the next two years to teams that don't face restrictions on spending. The slot money is more valuable to those teams. It will be interesting to see how aggressive we are in trading the slot money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-02-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We'll have about 5M in spending slot money next year. And presumably a lesser but still significant amount the following year. In both years, we'll be prevented from signing anyone to a bonus of over 300K.

Some of our better recent signings--Acuna (100K), Isranel Wilson (350K) and Albies (350K)--have come from relatively modest bonuses. I think spreading 5M over 20 or so good but not great prospects will yield some interesting results. When you consider the age of these prospects and the risks, spreading the money around might not be a bad approach.

The other option which we might exploit is trading some of the slot money the next two years to teams that don't face restrictions on spending. The slot money is more valuable to those teams. It will be interesting to see how aggressive we are in trading the slot money.
    Good points. There have been fits and starts with a few odd (and somewhat embarrassing) moves by the new regime. But it appears there is a blueprint in place. Now we have to see if it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, what type of return has slot money yielded in the past?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It likely won't matter because I'm pretty confident they're going to change the way it works this offseason.

If they don't, though, I can't imagine we would actually sign 20 guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It likely won't matter because I'm pretty confident they're going to change the way it works this offseason.

If they don't, though, I can't imagine we would actually sign 20 guys.
    In a typical year there are 600 total international signings. About 20 per team. That's how they populate their Dominican League teams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    In a typical year there are 600 total international signings. About 20 per team. That's how they populate their Dominican League teams.
    Fair enough. I guess you just don't hear about most of them. But I'm not sure there are that many guys they feel are worth throwing $300,000 at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There are probably quite a few in the 100-300K range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    When you're dealing in a market of mostly 16-year olds that are big question marks, I like the high quantity approach versus trading slots. In fact, I'd like to see the Braves try to acquire slots next year just to sign more $100k to $300k guys. I've been surprised how light the return is for these bonus slots, so I think it makes sense to buy in most situations versus a strategy of sell or stand pat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    When you're dealing in a market of mostly 16-year olds that are big question marks, I like the high quantity approach versus trading slots. In fact, I'd like to see the Braves try to acquire slots next year just to sign more $100k to $300k guys. I've been surprised how light the return is for these bonus slots, so I think it makes sense to buy in most situations versus a strategy of sell or stand pat.
    What is the practical limitation of how many int'l signees the Braves could find space for on their various squads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    What is the practical limitation of how many int'l signees the Braves could find space for on their various squads?
    DSL squads have 30-35 players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    The Braves were always quantity over quality in international signings. They would she'll out bug bucks for elite talents like Felix Hernandez but with 16 year old kids you never know. I am sure there are plenty of players just drafted in the first round that would not have been high draft picks at 16.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.