Thread: First round talent added since last draft

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

First round talent added since last draft

Looking at the last two draft, trades in between and the international market -- the talent infusion of high-end players is pretty impressive. All of this happened is a little more than a year's time frame.

First round rated talent through the draft;
    Allard
    Soroka
    Anderson
    Wentz
    Muller

Through Trades;
    Touki
    Dansby
    Newcombe

Through International Market
    Cruz
    Pache
    Maitan
    Gutierrez
    Severino

Certainly you can argue some of those international guys maybe should or shouldn't be on the list you could also argue for a few more to be included (Contreas/Soto/Pena) but that's 13 impact players that either were rated as first round talents by scouts, picked in the first round, or received big time international money; all added to the system in about a year's time. So excited for how this ends up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I would guess 6-7 out of this group turn into 2 win or better players.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would guess 6-7 out of this group turn into 2 win or better players.
    That would be pretty good. How many two win or better players are on the 40 man roster now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    That would be pretty good. How many two win or better players are on the 40 man roster now?
    Freeman, Inciarte and Teheran have done it and are likely to do it again.

Markakis and some others have done it in the past but are unlikely to do it again.

Of the guys currently on the roster, I'd say Smith, Wisler, Folty, Viz have a good chance.

Of the guys in the farm system longer than the ones listed in the opening post, I'd say Albies is very likely and some of the others have a decent shot-Newcomb, Sims, Ruiz, Riley, Peterson, Acuna.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Looking at the last two draft, trades in between and the international market -- the talent infusion of high-end players is pretty impressive. All of this happened is a little more than a year's time frame.

First round rated talent through the draft;
    Allard
    Soroka
    Anderson
    Wentz
    Muller

Through Trades;
    Touki
    Dansby
    Newcombe

Through International Market
    Cruz
    Pache
    Maitan
    Gutierrez
    Severino

Certainly you can argue some of those international guys maybe should or shouldn't be on the list you could also argue for a few more to be included (Contreas/Soto/Pena) but that's 13 impact players that either were rated as first round talents by scouts, picked in the first round, or received big time international money; all added to the system in about a year's time. So excited for how this ends up.
    Good post.

It also points to when our true timeline to win could be. All that talent is years away besides Dansby and maybe Newcomb. It's a big reason why I wish we'd sell Freeman, Teheran, Vizcaino and start all over, but I realize that won't happen now.

The best sign is that whenever we get back to being good, the way we are drafting and developing looks like we'll be staying good for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Good post.

It's a big reason why I wish we'd sell Freeman, Teheran, Vizcaino and start all over, but I realize that won't happen now.
    We can add 2+ win players on the FA or trade markets next year to play catcher and third. I think Smith and Wisler have shown enough this year for me to be comfortable to project them to be 2 win players next year. Ditto for Albies and Swanson even though they are still in the minors.

I think we will be sitting at about 80 wins next year on the expected win curve. The next couple years after that depends largely on organic growth from the group of guys who will be there in 2017. Then around 2020 we get the next wave. I think we'll be competitive (and by that I mean roughly a .500 team in the 2017-2019 period). 2020 and beyond we could be very good. Or not. There is a lot of uncertainty when guys are that far away from the majors. But the more prospects you have the better your chances and we do have a lot of promising very young prospects as noted in the opening post.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Speaking of some of that young impact talent, Cruz/Pache doing great things again today.

Cruz is 3-5 with a 2B and a HR.
    Pache is 2-4 with a 3B, 1 BB and his 5th SB.

Those two are raking and both are the same age as HS juniors....... :)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We can add 2+ win players on the FA or trade markets next year to play catcher and third. I think Smith and Wisler have shown enough this year for me to be comfortable to project them to be 2 win players next year. Ditto for Albies and Swanson even though they are still in the minors.

I think we will be sitting at about 80 wins next year on the expected win curve. The next couple years after that depends largely on organic growth from the group of guys who will be there in 2017. Then around 2020 we get the next wave. I think we'll be competitive (and by that I mean roughly a .500 team in the 2017-2019 period). 2020 and beyond we could be very good. Or not. There is a lot of uncertainty when guys are that far away from the majors. But the more prospects you have the better your chances and we do have a lot of promising very young prospects as noted in the opening post.
    This is why going out to get guys like Cespedes and Desmond appeals to people (obviously me included) IMO. Those additions would make the team "competitive" by the textbook definition - back to where we would've been if Heyward and Upton were kept for one more run, on the fringe of the playoffs. The difference would be that you're no longer empty-handed if things don't fall your way - there's inexpensive talent coming in the system now, and the biggest concern would be that you might not get huge seasons from those guys in the last year or so of their deals. I could live with that personally. The flip-side is that you'd be relevant with those guys, and if a couple of the kids made steps forward in the next couple years you could be in the hunt again.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I think going after a Cespedes, Prado, and catcher would do great things for this team.
    Get off my lawn!